Exercise offset for sodium intake

disgustipated
disgustipated Posts: 14 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been tracking my sodium intake with this site and can see I will never make the limit. Since you lose electrolytes when you sweat,shouldn't there be a sodium offset for exercise.

Replies

• HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    I don't have your answer but I've been intending to post this question too! I'm usually under on sodium but I can't figure out how I could be hurting myself on the days I go over when I have so much salt dripping off my body every morning!

I was on the floor doing stretches after my work out and my dog gave me one of those "drive by licks" and stopped dead to do a double take LOL! "Mommy - you're like a salt lick!"
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    My understanding is the sodium "limit" on here is to reduce water retention and is based on the "standard" guidelines for sodium intake -- I guess those are set forth by some government acronym. If you don't have any related health problems, the actual intake of sodium with no adverse effects to your health can be much higher (like 4000mg or 5000mg I think... though, gross). If you don't care about water retention possibly sabatoging your weigh ins, you'll probably be fine eating 2500-3000mg sodium daily. But really, why? I've found it pretty easy to reduce my sodium intake to 1000-2000mg/day, it just involves paying a little more attention.
  • mlove1307
    mlove1307 Posts: 151
    I agree!! Where is my sodium offset!?

I feel TERRRRRRIBLE when I go over on my sodium!! And I'm totally "healthy" otherwise.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    I'm over on my sodium every day without fail usually by 200-300 mg.
    I, too, get the drive-by licks from my puppy after a good workout, but then she stays for the rest lol... i can't get her off of me! gross.
    At least her mouth is clean lol
    I agree that I think for the most part that limit is just to help you drink more water and reduce sodium intake on your body. I find it pretty darn near impossible to be under any day no matter what I eat. I try to compensate by drinking a lot of water/fluids.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Also wanted to note I just started looking it up and it seems they recommend no more than 200 mg per 100 calories of food. So, if you stick to 1200 calories/day you shouldn't be over 2400mg. If you're 1500 cals/day like me, then 3000mg is your limit. Looks like if that's the case I'm doing just fine.
This discussion has been closed.