Are they right or sabotaging me?

Options
When I met certain folks I weighed 206, now weigh 180 and still want to lose more. I really want to weigh like 140 eventually but when people ask I tell them at least 20 more pounds...they all tell me I will "look weird" be too skinny and Im already small enough. I have plenty to lose and I dont think 160 lbs would be skinny! Am I crazy?

Replies

• LadyVeng3ance
    LadyVeng3ance Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have a friend, she isnt fat, but she is abit larger then average, not alot.

Anyways, when I think about her being skinny I just imagine she will look so weird, she is extremly beautiful the way she is now.
    Maybe thats what they meant?
  • baker150
    baker150 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I get that too!! I think either they're jealous, or just not used to seeing you smaller than before!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    They are just complimenting you. They cannot possibly know how you will look in the future at any weight. Plus, it sucks when your friends get thinner than you. :laugh: so pf course they do not want that. Just lie and say you're done. Then do what you want.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    You could always put the lbs back on if you don't like the way you look skinny, just sayin' . I doubt they are sabotaging but might be just not used to the change.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    A lot of people who have only seen someone heavy, cant picture someone being thin and think its not normal for you. Just ignore it...they will get used to the new thin you eventually. :)
  • musicalmel
    musicalmel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot. My current friends have only ever seen me around 200-220 lbs and I'm 6'0. They say I will look anorexic if I get down to 170, which is my goal. I've been there before and I didn't think I looked anorexic though. People just don't like change. They may not be saying to sabotage you, but rather, are saying it because they seriously can't imagine what you'd look like thinner than you are now.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    When I met certain folks I weighed 206, now weigh 180 and still want to lose more. I really want to weigh like 140 eventually but when people ask I tell them at least 20 more pounds...they all tell me I will "look weird" be too skinny and Im already small enough. I have plenty to lose and I dont think 160 lbs would be skinny! Am I crazy?

Yes, because you pay too much attention to other people instead of yourself.
  • angel823
    angel823 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Exactly whats going on with me now

I think its because this is the smallest they've ever seen me

so anything smaller seems ridiculous

Ive had no choice but to ignore them and do what makes me happy

Cuz its what it comes down to in the end-my health
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If it turns out that 160 really is too skinny for you (I seriously doubt it) - you can always gain some back. I bet you'll look awesome and feel even more confident.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's jealousy (Generally speaking) I think we all just get used to seeing a person a certain way so them being "skinny" looks strange. Sometimes, i think if i went down to 130 and im 5'4 i wud look too skinny. lol but all in all, do what fits for u. :flowerforyou:
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    My husband looks like a freakish meth head when he's skinny... he's built to be big. However, I am not. I tell people my max weight which was 228, 234 when I was pregnant but I don't count that. I was 228 about 6 months ago. No one even believes I'm still over 200. Some people carry their weight well, I'm proud to be one of them and you should too! I'm 5'2 and was SKINNY at 150 lbs. I had a lot of muscle, big boobs, it was pretty awesome, hope to get that way again.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I didn't see any full body shots in your profile, but I can see that you are beautiful. I'm sure they see that too. Of course, there are "haters" but I hope they are sincere. I would take it as a compliment. I have had similar things said to me and can be frustrating. I know where I need to be body fat wise and I'm not there yet. Hey, at least they aren't saying "only 20 more????" Just be you and be healthy!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    just dont tell them..

be vague.

Say.. i want to lose a little bit more.. and don't mention an amount.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You aren't crazy. It's probably just your friends/family's reaction to your weight loss. Your changing body might alarm them on a subconcious level..i.e. they are "losing" you while you are "losing" weight. Just ignore them and do what you want to do. When you reach your goal the same people will tell you how great you look!
    Hang in there!
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say, since I can't really see much from your pictures, but I'm guessing they're just being pooperheads.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I don't think people really understand what 20 pounds looks like. It seems like so much when someone says it but I've lost 17 pounds (on a 5'1" frame) and I don't think it's that much. Depending on how tall you are 160 could be right or you may be happier at 140. But what matters is what makes YOU happy. And from your photo it looks like you have kids so you also need to do what makes you healthy for them.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I don't think people are trying to sabotage you. People get used to things and people as they know them and a lot of people are resistant to change. Keep working toward your goal, your doing an amazing job so far!
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    People always say that. It's simply not true. I think they feel threatened that their "fat" friend might be skinnier than them and what that would mean. My advice....don't talk about it....just do it. Reply with "Thanks".
  • Lobster_Lover
    Lobster_Lover Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have received shocked looks and comments when I have said I need to lose weight in the past. I am tall (5'11'') so I am able to "hide" my weight a little easier than if I was shorter. So at my peak weight when I said I had about 50 lbs to lose, people looked shocked and would argue saying that was way to much. Twenty pounds down though the same people were saying I look great and they can tell I have more energy (and when I say I have 30 more to go, now there is no argument),

Only you know your body and what your needs are. While you need to beware of losing too much weight, don't let others discourage you from what you know is right. I know, my doctors know, and those close to me know that I need to lose some weight so you just have to ignore comments from those who try to discourage you.

And as much as I hate to admit it, I know that some of the people that discouraged me did so because they haven't been able to succeed themselves. You have to decide what you want and GO FOR IT! All the pieces of the puzzle will fall into place as time passes and your true friends will encourage you along the way! Good luck!
  • Lobster_Lover
    Lobster_Lover Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot. My current friends have only ever seen me around 200-220 lbs and I'm 6'0. They say I will look anorexic if I get down to 170, which is my goal. I've been there before and I didn't think I looked anorexic though. People just don't like change. They may not be saying to sabotage you, but rather, are saying it because they seriously can't imagine what you'd look like thinner than you are now.

Another tall girl who understands!!!