I need suggestions on what to feed my husband

Options
I am having a hard time making my calorie goal everyday and now my husband has jumped on the MFP wagon and I have no idea what to feed him to get him to reach his daily caloric goal.

I cook a healthy dinner every night and usually pack left overs for him for lunch. He makes his own breakfast, usually an egg mug that he will put into a tortilla or on a piece of bread. I have fruit, pita chips and hummus, carrots, celery, peanut butter, light cheese sticks, greek yogurt

I do the shopping for the house so what else can I make sure I have on hand and what can I feed him to make sure he is getting 2200 to 2400 calories a day. I'm looking for snack ideas as well as things that I can add to meals to bump up the calories

Replies

• harpercutie
    harpercutie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    nuts
    meats
    avocado
    nut butters to have with apple slices
    cheese with broccoli or anything really
    hummus sounds yummy.
    beans: bean dip for veggies, beans in his breakfast burrito, etc
    tasty protein bars
    kale

pretty much anything nutrient dense, protein dense, or healthy fat dense is good for you and high in calories. :)
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    snickers candy bars
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Nuts, whole grain pasta, fiber bars, chicken sausage (multiple flavors and high in protein and fiber). You can make smoothies for breakfast or snack using fruit, low cal fat free yofurt/greek yogurt and flavored water, juice or skim milk.
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    cliff bars, hard boiled eggs, pistacios or almonds, beef jerky, belvita crackers, smoothies, fruits or veggies and you could always make some veggie dip with dry ranch and fat free sour cream,
  • jipsybird
    jipsybird Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert. Nuts can have a nice caloric punch and make a great snack or add in. I see you already have peanut butter (which would have been another suggestion). If you aren't looking to actually eat more in quantity, opt for full fat versions of things. For example, instead of a low or nonfat yogurt, go full fat.

Does he like cheese? When he does his egg mug he could add cheese to it, even refried beans (making your own tastes great! Plus gives you the control of the ingredients).

Good luck!
  • sanibelshell
    sanibelshell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would suggest nuts, whole milk, cheese, 4% cottage cheese, avocados, peanut butter, protein powder or proteins with olive oil or cocnut oil- if these fit into his eating plan. Good luck to you both.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    He's probably going to end up having to drink some of his calories. I'm not talking about sodas or anything like that. More in regards to smoothies, having milk at each meal....things like that.

Also, pick higher calorie items to feed him. Previous Posters have already suggested quite a few.

I eat alot of eggs. And hard boiled make a great snack or Breakfast. I usually have packets of mayo and mustard to dab a little on each egg as I eat it. But that's a personal preference.

Also, remember, as a guy, he is going to eat larger portions than you do. That will help with the calorie count. He doesn't need to eat twice as much, but definitely make sure his plate is just slightly fuller.

Congratulations to you both for making this journey together! Best of luck to you!
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Sorry, everyone took my suggestions. I'm just "bumping" this thread so that I have some good ideas for snacks.

Best of luck to you both!
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone some really good ideas there. I am trying not to do full fat versions of things because he was recently diagnosed with high cholesterol, just barely, but high just the same. I appreciate the help and if anyone has any other ideas please post, I'll check back.