are vegans healthy

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Also, vegetarians that are not vegan get B-12 from the animal foods they eat, no supplements needed.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    That is a loaded question. I think you first need to define what healthy is. If you are taking into account energy levels, blood work, etc. then I think vegans can be "healthy"....but it's rare. The amount of time and effort you'd have to put in to make sure you are getting complete proteins (complete proteins contain all the essential amino acids) would be almost impossible for most people. Essential amino acids are just that: essential. The ONLY sources of complete proteins are animal proteins...plant proteins are lacking 1 or more. You'd need to combine specific foods with each other, eat them at the same time as each other, and make sure you are getting the right amount of grams of protein to do so. That being said, vegetarians can be completely healthy. Eggs are one of the best sources of protein you can get. It is true most dairy is crap, but that goes the same for meat as well. When it comes to animal products people should be eating organic, properly fed, cage free, etc. Dairy can be great for putting on size (if that's your goal), but it's not necessary in a diet. Animal protein, in my opinion, is. I grew up ovo-lacto vegetarian and recently started eating chicken, turkey, fish, etc. I spent years studying nutrition and the more I learned the less information convinced me vegan is a good choice, especially if you're an athlete (which I am). The amount of energy I have now compared to what I had 5 years ago has changed drastically and my blood work is also perfect....hope that helps

In my nutrition classes I learned that amino acids (the building blocks of protein) are present in plants and that it is not necessary to eat all the amino acids needed for "complete protein" at the same time. Our body absorbs the amino acids whether they come from animals or plants and they circulate in the blood....All cells have access to the amino acids they need. It's not like they disappear once they are absorbed...they circulate until needed.

IMO True Vegans can be healthy but it takes a concerted effort. My sister, age 52, has been vegetarian...she allows eggs and cheese .... for 30 years. She is the picture of health and all her lab values are perfect.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

he had a well balanced vegetarian diet, he was very particular of getting everything he needed, and he researched plenty and talked to people educated in the field.. prior to being sick..

***once he started eating turkey and chicken.. he slowly started to get better...

What I'm curious about is what was it. I saw your sentence that the chicken and turkey helped, but I'm not sold that that was the only way to do it. I'm not trying to discredit your experience, but it has sparked my curiosity.
    I would guess missing a amino acid which could have been fixed...is that stuff hard to balance out? I don't know...Maybe a b12 problem? Hard to get as much b12 from vegan foods compared to meat from what I hear. Especially if you're staying away from the fortified this and thats and trying the whole real food thing.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I always find these threads (and the question/assertion) that starts them amusing.

Look at the rates of obesity, cardiovascular disease, kidney disease, osteoporosis, joint disorders (related to too much weight), Type 2 diabetes.

Now - "Do you think it's possible to be healthy eating meat and dairy"?

Well, yes. If you eat them in small amounts and have tons of veggies and fruits and raw foods.

Is it possible to be a healthy vegan?

Well, yes. If you eat a balanced diet, supplement with B12 every now and then.

Is it possible to eat like crap no matter what your diet?

You betcha. Exhibit one - see above (rates).

Next.
    <endthread> :P
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I would guess missing a amino acid which could have been fixed...is that stuff hard to balance out? I don't know...Maybe a b12 problem? Hard to get as much b12 from vegan foods compared to meat from what I hear. Especially if you're staying away from the fortified this and thats and trying the whole real food thing.

I think she said he was vegetarian, not vegan, so he could easily get B-12 from non-fortified foods. But it's actually very hard to avoid fortified diets. Our cereals, breads, milks, pastas, rice ... enriched. He would have to be eating a very whole food based diet to avoid any fortification. But even in that case, there'd be no reason for him to snub taking a simple B-12 supplement or eating something fortified. The reason animals have B-12 is not because it is inherent in them, it's because it occurs in dirt and they eat dirt or foods that are dirty. (I am 99% sure that is the reason. Mea culpa if I'm wrong.) Also, even the animals supplying the meat are fortified these days, no way to get around it.

But the amino acids are not a problem. I am pretty sure quinoa is a complete protein, and it's not necessary to protein combine. Even if it were, rice and beans in the same meal would easily fix this. A vegan protein shake would fix this. Someone who was vegan for ethical reasons would probably have far more trouble eating meat than accepting a little fortifying or protein boost, so long as the source was vegan.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

IMO True Vegans can be healthy but it takes a concerted effort. My sister, age 52, has been vegetarian...she allows eggs and cheese .... for 30 years. She is the picture of health and all her lab values are perfect.

Once you have learned the basics, it takes very little effort. I shop and eat as naturally as a meat eater. I love my vegan diet, and it's not an effort. I know what I'm supposed to eat. Learning to tie my shoes was a concerted effort. Now I just tie my shoes.
  • alanbluecat
    Options

Once you have learned the basics, it takes very little effort. I shop and eat as naturally as a meat eater. I love my vegan diet, and it's not an effort. I know what I'm supposed to eat. Learning to tie my shoes was a concerted effort. Now I just tie my shoes.

Love this reply! There's no effort involved for me either.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Just like omnivores, there are healthy vegans and unhealthy vegans. In any diet choice, we have to pay attention to what we eat, how to meet macros and obtain necessary vitamins and minerals. It's not harder to get in nutrients as a vegan, you just have to know where to get them. As with any diet/lifestyle, it comes down to paying attention to what goes in your mouth and how it completes your daily nutrient needs. It is absolutely possible to meet these requirements while living a compassionate lifestyle.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options

are you talking about finding that nutrient in a food, or a suppliment?.. it could be because he chose not to take the suppliment that was suggested.. either way i'll see if i can find out..

I haven't heard of anything that can't be found in a food (even B-12 is fortified in even "accidentally vegan" foods.) But I'd be curious to see either way.

he just quickly texted back stating that it was a certain enzyme that he needed from the chicken/turkey... and said that he'd have to google it further to find out...
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    In, just to keep up with the never ending story.
  • Kkleo2102
    Options
    I've been vegan for almost a year now. And honestly, I haven't had any problems. Actually, I haven't been sick and my seasonal allergies aren't nearly as bad as they use to be. I'm more energetic and I actually eat less. As for nutrients, I get everything. I eat enough protein, I still take my vitamins every day. There really isn't anything we need from animals. There is plant proteins, and riboflavin (which is something in milk) in plants too. Same with calcium.
  • VeganVamp
    Options
    You can be a healthy or unhealthy meat eater. Healthy or unhealthy vegetarian....and the same applies to being a vegan. Why wouldn't it?

Exactly! I see no reason to pick out one particular group ...
  • VeganVamp
    Options
    I always find these threads (and the question/assertion) that starts them amusing.

Look at the rates of obesity, cardiovascular disease, kidney disease, osteoporosis, joint disorders (related to too much weight), Type 2 diabetes.

Now - "Do you think it's possible to be healthy eating meat and dairy"?

Well, yes. If you eat them in small amounts and have tons of veggies and fruits and raw foods.

Is it possible to be a healthy vegan?

Well, yes. If you eat a balanced diet, supplement with B12 every now and then.

Is it possible to eat like crap no matter what your diet?

You betcha. Exhibit one - see above (rates).

Next.
    <endthread> :P

Indeed !!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I think animal protein is very important, however I don't think we need dairy to survive and frankly milk freaks me out. I don't think we were ever meant to drink an animals milk. In my opinion vegans are not healthy and I've heard it can cause complications in pregnant women for the unborn child because your body is lacking nutrients it needs. Just like with most animals, I don't believe people were meant to eat a diet of only soy and veggies.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I think animal protein is very important, however I don't think we need dairy to survive and frankly milk freaks me out. I don't think we were ever meant to drink an animals milk. In my opinion vegans are not healthy and I've heard it can cause complications in pregnant women for the unborn child because your body is lacking nutrients it needs. Just like with most animals, I don't believe people were meant to eat a diet of only soy and veggies.

While excess amounts of soy (like excess amounts of anything) is linked to health complications I'm pretty sure you don't absolutely have to eat tofu or soy shakes to be a vegan...I think I'd have a hell of a time getting in my 100g of protein without eating something in excessive amounts tho? Plus, if you eat anything processed from a grocery store trust me you get plenty of soy already.
  • VeganHippieChick
    VeganHippieChick Posts: 27 Member
    Options

this
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options

This guys looks pale. His color is not good. Every vegan/fruitatarian whatever that I see in youtube videos or online has bad color. That says something to me.

It's called bad lighting.

Exactly. Plus pale background/white shirt. As a nurse I have to try and judge people's color ignoring all the variants that can make someone seem washed out. This guy's color seems perfectly fine to me. I donate blood every 3-4 months and my iron levels are actually BETTER now then they were before I stopped eating meat. If a vegan eats a lot of processed junk, of course he/she will feel awful. Oreos are vegan but that doesn't make them healthy. I've known several vegetarians that were anemic and were told by their doctors to start eating meat, which they did. Guess what- they are STILL anemic. But honestly, how many of the people who undergo openheart surgery are vegan or even vegetarian? How many people suffering and dying from cancer are vegan or vegetarian? Studies show a CLEAR correlation between disease and the amount of animal products ingested. None of us will live forever, but I want to spend my days on Earth as healthy as I can and living as compassionately as I can. As a vegan, I have reduced my carbon footprint far more than even a meateater driving a Prius. I hope to continue doing my part to save the world for my future grandkids.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    There are vegans that don't eat soy at all. Vegans eat far more than "veggies and soy."
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    this is really like asking "are omnivores healthy?" You can have a well researched, healthy diet no matter what you do or do not eat.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    It depends on how you eat. You can be a junk food vegan loading up on processed sugar or you could be a raw foodist, etc