Signed up for a 1/2 Marathon WTH was I thinking!!!

Options
Okay, so out of anger to missing the RUN FOR YOUR LIVES 5K that my sucky manager decided to not let me have the day off for. A friend of mine asked me to do a 1/2 Marathon with him. I have never done one. I've only completed a 5M and that I just barely made in 1hr. I'm really excited, but so nervous at the same time to the point I want to throw up! I do run at least 4-5 days a week at about 3 miles. I need some encouragement and some suggestions on how to PACE myself for the whole 13.1 miles....

Please HELP! lol this is a huge thing for me. This time last year I weighed 300lbs. Im currently between 200-216 kind of bouncing around a bit. This week is straight dieting and more running. But pacing is my biggest challenge between running some, walking some. How should I do this?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Increase your mileage! In other words, do longer runs! Run at a comfortable pace when you can, then walk until you feel recovered enough to start running again.

You can do it!! :]
  • RisyaLifsheTova
    RisyaLifsheTova Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention this is happening SUNDAY! which makes me even more nervous. But I'm sure everything will be fine. Right?!
  • bdunt2646
    bdunt2646 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    everything will be fine!! you give it you all, do your best and you cant be upset with your absolute best no can you? maybe start the first half of it at a more moderate pace and then slowly increase if you can... im rootin for ya!!
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
  • KiiAttitude
    KiiAttitude Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    ohhh this is exciting, three years ago i weight 350lbs now i weigh 130 and a fitness instructor and ive signed up for my first half as well.... i have quite a while to train though im chicken lol.
  • allinoelle007
    allinoelle007 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Besides run walking (maybe run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute pattern), make sure to take in calories every hour: the gels, cliff blocks, etc. that will keep you going. Good luck!
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    This time last year I weighed 300lbs.

you are incredible!

Sorry I'm no real help for the question at hand...but I have to say you are an inspiration to me! Thank you!
  • RisyaLifsheTova
    Options
    I started at 320 and it's been a journey. I know If I can lose 125lbs I can run a 13 mile run. Just not sure how to since its such a short time span, by that I mean a week to train lol
  • RisyaLifsheTova
    Options
    You can do it! Besides run walking (maybe run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute pattern), make sure to take in calories every hour: the gels, cliff blocks, etc. that will keep you going. Good luck!

Thank you! This will be very helpful!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention this is happening SUNDAY! which makes me even more nervous. But I'm sure everything will be fine. Right?!

I was gonna say, "No problem, you got this! A half-marathon is easy," and then I saw this ^ and I think I might be a little nervous, too. You've only been running 3 miles at a time, so I guess if I was you, I would definately not be running the whole thing. If your goal IS to run the whole thing with your friend, good luck at this short notice, but if you don't mind walking some and running some - and there's no cut-off pace you have to stay at, you should have no problem surviving the entire thing. You just might need some recovery time afterwards. They usually have pace-keepers with signs that you can follow, but choose an appropriate, sustainable pace for you so you don't burn out early on. It's ok to be slow. There's always someone slower than you out there! Most importantly, enjoy the run - have fun with it! You got this! :wink: :drinker:
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 8 of C25K and really loving the running. I've discovered that MapMyWalk+ (the paid version) has a coach built in. You can switch the coach on and set a pace or a time or a distance per mile and it will let you know if you are under or over your pace. I think the free version does voiceovers that tells you what pace your last mile was at. I'm trying the pacing today. I'm trying to get under 12 minute per mile in preparation for doing parkrun.
  • RisyaLifsheTova
    Options

I was gonna say, "No problem, you got this! A half-marathon is easy," and then I saw this ^ and I think I might be a little nervous, too. You've only been running 3 miles at a time, so I guess if I was you, I would definately not be running the whole thing. If your goal IS to run the whole thing with your friend, good luck at this short notice, but if you don't mind walking some and running some - and there's no cut-off pace you have to stay at, you should have no problem surviving the entire thing. You just might need some recovery time afterwards. They usually have pace-keepers with signs that you can follow, but choose an appropriate, sustainable pace for you so you don't burn out early on. It's ok to be slow. There's always someone slower than you out there! Most importantly, enjoy the run - have fun with it! You got this! :wink: :drinker:

This has been most helpful! Thank you so much. I will be pacing myself through running and walking with a friend of mine doing this with me. I think I will be fine-ish lol guess we will see Sunday. Oy!
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options

I'd say go with this pattern or even lower it to 4 minute runs, 1 minute walk. Half marathons generally don't have calorie tables so be sure to bring 2 gel packs for yourself and stay hydrated. You can do it!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    lol you can totally do this. I do them all the time. Walk whenever you want. Give yourself 3 hours to finish. Voila. Drink beer.
  • KiiAttitude
    KiiAttitude Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This time last year I weighed 300lbs.

you are incredible!

Sorry I'm no real help for the question at hand...but I have to say you are an inspiration to me! Thank you!

your very welcome :) x
  • RisyaLifsheTova
    Options
    Wow, I totally forgot about this post! but I completed my first 1/2 marathon in 2:56:32, this was very exciting for me since I signed up expecting to take the whole 4 hours to complete! I have signed up for my second half in September for the Disneyland 1/2 So happy I signed up because it sold out in 26hrs! Wish me luck! Now I need to lose the weight I have gained from the time I did that first half to now. :( this has been a downer for me. But im getting a lot better now.
  • rdianemu
    rdianemu Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the first and good luck for your second :smile: