protein shakes

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    I don't care much for them in plain water, but they are good blended with some skim milk, and frozen fruit. The fruit will also help get the protein to the muscles, especially high GI fruits like bananas.

I found this too. The one I bought in just water was horrible, in milk I could stomach it, but blended into a smoothie with a banana it was lovely :)
    But I bought a cheaper version, the more expensive one I was give was nice enough that I liked it with just milk :)
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Im not trying to put a dampner on the topic but I dont use protein powders, I would much prefer to chow down on a tin of tuna.

The one I eat (Sirena lite) is 75g and has 17g of protein and 88 calories, vs Isowhey Vanilla powder here in Aus which for a 32g scoop only has 15g of protein and 111 calories.

But I guess it all comes down to taste
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Im not trying to put a dampner on the topic but I dont use protein powders, I would much prefer to chow down on a tin of tuna.

The one I eat (Sirena lite) is 75g and has 17g of protein and 88 calories, vs Isowhey Vanilla powder here in Aus which for a 32g scoop only has 15g of protein and 111 calories.

But I guess it all comes down to taste

It does come down to taste. :)

I like to use protein powder to cure my craving for sweets. I can make a spinach protein shake that tastes every bit as good as a mint chocolate chip shake at the local drive inn. I can make protein pies, puddings, cakes, and brownies, which may take some getting used to, but help me to stay away from the stuff that is full of sugar, and fat.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes when I have trouble getting all my calories in. I am taking the powder on my next business road trip.

My favorite is vanilla flavored with a banana and blueberries. I use frozen blueberries to save $$... I just whirl it up in a magic bullet!
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    You only need protein shakes to supplement your protein requirements that you get from food if you do not get enough that way. All they are is easy and convenient.

Protein in itself will not build muscle - you need resistance training to do that in addition to the protein. Protein repairs muscles - but they have to be torn first to be repaired (where muscle gain comes from).

ETA: you do not need to get your protein at any specific time of the day - there is an absorption window of over 24 hours for protein so as long as you get enough each day, you are good.

She gave you a great and informative post. You asked for an opinion. She gave you a very qualified one and then you ripped her? Look at her body I think she has a lot of great advice and its just an opinion. No one opinion is wrong or right its just based on her experience. Take it or not its good to try new things. Again just an OPINION.
  • nils27
    nils27 Posts: 13
    Options
    Prior to my Lapband surgery I drank protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and lost 30 lbs. I still drink them but just not for both and not all the time. Bariatricchoice.com has; some good flavors you can try. They are great when blended with ice because it seems like you are getting more.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    I personally use protein powder for about 75% or more of my daily intake. It keeps me satiated bettern than real food.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I personally use protein powder for about 75% or more of my daily intake. It keeps me satiated bettern than real food.
    Not a good idea. Google "to much protein" and you'll see why.