High protein numbers....

Options
Ok question: I have been under my calorie goal all the days but I am way over in the protein area....Is this a bad thing?

Replies

• robdawg
    robdawg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I wasn't really worried about it because I would like to build muscle as I lose weight. I would like to know what other people's thoughts are too.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I find that MFP lowballs the protein intake. I increased my intake when setting up my goals. I have seen other people say the same thing. If you're not going too far under your calories and your fat and carb intake is ok, then I wouldn't worry too much about the extra protein. You're body is still burning that even though you're under in cals.

Hope this helps!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I forgot to list my %'s. I allow 55% carbs, 25% protein, and 20% fat.
  • HorseFly
    HorseFly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have read that the average person needs about .36g of protein per 1lb of body weight. If you exercise a lot, you can increase that to .5-.8g per 1lb body weight. Just know that at some point, your body can only use so much, so it will just ignore the extra. I am right around 131lbs and am moderately active so I try to get between 55-60 grams a day. I will up that slightly if I am running long distances or doing more intensive weight training.

The good thing about eating more protein is that protein is more of a satiety aid than fat or carbs. It should help you restrict calories without getting hungry. Which is why you might be seeing a calorie deficit even though you are over on protein.
  • marybethbeech
    Options
    I've been doing South Beach so I'm way low on everything else, but high on my protein. I've been eating meals straight from the South Beach meal plan and offical cookbooks. Since South Beach was designed by a cardiologist, I don't think it can be too unhealthy.
  • debclauson
    debclauson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue. Some days it reads 38 over the alloted protein intake. My concern are the kidneys. Does anyone know how much protein is too much? Also, over what period of time is this OK? My trainer mentioned that protein, although it is not stored in the body can be tough on the kidneys over time.
  • losingafterbaby
    Options
    I had Gastric Bypass 2.5 years ago, My protien levels are around 100 daily. If you are getting in lean protiens higher numbers should be ok. It only if your protien is from high fatty foods.