Anyone else taking Levothyroxine for Hypothyroidism help!!!

Options
Not sure if I'm putting this in the right place but I need some help, I've not too recently been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and have been put on Levothyroxine and have started feeling sick after eating certain foods or my normal amount of foods I used to eat before being diagnosed. I.E I used to be able to eat homemade chicken korma, I now cannot stomach it without feeling sick, I used to be able to eat 4 plain small pancakes for breakfast I now cannot eat that either

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and whether or not I should inform my doctor earlier than I am meant to (due for a check up on the 12th Nov)

Any feedback would be greatly appretiated

P.S I have not been physically sick yet though also eating some foods are fine!

Replies

• Assassins_Angel24
    Options
    Bump,

Anyone??
  • looklight
    Options
    Hey,

I am on 100mcg since nearly 4years now and my body has gone weird to be honest.

I can't eat eggs (except in baked stuff), and get put off from certain types of food which I used to love. Salmon for example or sushi....

I hate it, it makes me feel sick instantly and I can't touch it anymore. My poor partner has to put up with me trying to find places where I can get something which will not put me off.....

tricky....
  • Assassins_Angel24
    Options
    That's pretty much what I'm dealing with :( But I'm on the lowest dose at the moment and I'm worried if they up the dosage it's going to get worse!!

At least I know it's not just me lol!

Thankyou for replying :)
  • Dilite2
    Dilite2 Posts: 25
    Options
    I've been onLevothyroxine for Hypothyroidism for many your taking 50mg 1 tablets 1 day and 2 the next alternatively - took a while to get the dosage correct and felt so much better on tablets after being told to take them 1 hour before food in the morning. I hope this helps you
  • Assassins_Angel24
    Options
    Yeah I always wait to eat before taking them but I feel sick at night after dinner normally :(
  • Dilite2
    Dilite2 Posts: 25
    Options
    I think you need to discuss with doctor on your next visit, there is also a Underactive Thyroid Sufferers group on MFP, which may be helpful. :smile:
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was on it for Hashimoto's - had to change to Armour..... Levo was making me sick. Switched to Armour 8mths ago and feel much better.
  • BevJoi
    BevJoi Posts: 3
    Options
    I never feel sick to my stomach, but I cannot lose weight. I have been on three different doses in the last 18 weeks. I exercise twice a day (two miles/weight lifting in the a.m. and zumba at night) I don't think the weight will ever come off nor do I feel one bit different from the different doses.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I've never had any issues with Levo. I'm on 125 mcg a day.
  • empc
    empc Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Definitely take on an empty stomach. I take mine in the middle of t he night when I get up. Also...suppose to dring 8oz of water with it.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Can't say I experienced anything like this when I went on Levothyroxine, but you could always try liothyronine or a mix of the two. I take both.
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    I was on it for Hashimoto's - had to change to Armour..... Levo was making me sick. Switched to Armour 8mths ago and feel much better.

THIS^^ MOST people can not tolerate T4 meds only. Most do well on a t4/t3 combo. I myself am on T3 only meds because I had a bad Reverse T3 issue. Visit http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com for A LOT of good info on thyroid disease. Ask your doc if they will rx you generic Armour. I've also used NP Thyroid which is considered a generic form of Armour. Very good meds. Also, the food sensitivities may be hypo related. Do you have Hashimotos? Which is determined by the antibodies blood test (can't remember specifically which one Tpo?)
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed an aversion to any foods since starting on Levo. I do have a hard time losing weight...even with taking T4 and T3, but it's not impossible. Sounds like a hormonal issue? Pregnancy? I don't know.

You said you take it at night? Try taking it early morning. I get up at 6am and take it then. You should wait at least 2 hours before eating anything with calcium in it (dairy, almond milk, supplements). I am usually starving by 8am, but I think it's easier than not eating anything for 3 hours before I take it at night. Plus, it revs up my metabolism when I first take it and I think it might be hard to sleep that way.
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have been on for years and have not had any issues. I take it every morning and it has not affected my weight loss or made me sick at all. Both my doctor and the pharmacist did recommend taking it in the morning and to make sure to take it on an empty stomach.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I think you need to discuss with doctor on your next visit, there is also a Underactive Thyroid Sufferers group on MFP, which may be helpful. :smile:

I'll do some searching when I get a minute, but I'd like info on this group.

I have been on 125 mcg since 2006 and have not had any problems that you describe. I would talk to your doctor.
  • ravenforest3009
    ravenforest3009 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am taking 75mg per day for almost 2 years and had no side effects at all.
    I never take them on an empty stomach, always after breakfast and never mix it with juice (with tea or plain water).
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I never feel sick to my stomach, but I cannot lose weight. I have been on three different doses in the last 18 weeks. I exercise twice a day (two miles/weight lifting in the a.m. and zumba at night) I don't think the weight will ever come off nor do I feel one bit different from the different doses.

It will come off just may take longer than the average bear. I had my thyroid radiated and take the levo dose as well ahve for a few years and we are still trying to get the dose right....talk to yoru docotr def! I dont get sick unless I eat too soon after taking.....for sure empty tummy and no milk......which I often like to follow my dosage with a Starbucks, NOT SMART....LOL
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's and am on the generic for Armour. I was on Levoxyl for many many years and feel so... Much better now. But I didn't have food issues on either one. I take it twice per day and I let it melt or chew it so it doesn't interfere with my vitamins etc...and it seems to work just fine that way. I never wait the 2 hours after taking it and my labs look good.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, this sounds like a good side effect to have if you are trying to lose weight. Sometimes I rather wish cake and pie made me nauseous.
  • APBTChampion
    APBTChampion Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been on 150mcg since 2000, and I've always been told to take my pills on an empty stomach (at least 1 hour before eating), so there is no chance of other vitamin/etc interaction. Also, you need to be sure that if you're eating soy that you take your pill at least a few hours before or after because it inhibits the absorption.