Need advice on staying on track!

Options
My story: before i had my child(who is now 1) i was skinny 140 lbs which was perfect on me. i am now around 210(my guess) i joined mfp before and stayed on track for around two months before i left i was 189. i was working out 5x a week. staying under my calories.i became over welmed and the weight was nt coming off fast enough i quit. this was two months ago. DOES ANY ONE HAVE ADVICE AND TIPS? SHOULD I START OFF SLOW?

Replies

• thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you need patience... the weight wont come off fast in a healthy way... you should aim for 1lb a week, which will minimise muscle loss and saggy skin and mean you dont need too great a calorie deficit each day so it should be sustainable.

you need to change your mindset - its not something you do, then stop when you get to your desired weight. its a lifestyle change that is about being healthy and fit!
  • atfarmer
    atfarmer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to give any great advise because I'm the same way. For me I have to realize that it's a life style change, not something that's going to happen overnight. I have to keep reminding myself that the weight didn't suddenly appear - that it was poor choices and habits that got me fat over a long period of time and it's going to take discipline and smart choices and smart habits that are going to get me back to health ! You can do this - it's one day at a time, smart choices every day - every week, every month and soon it will be every year. I also remind myself that every day we encounter things that are completely OUT OF OUR CONTROL, but the one thing we CAN CONTROL is what we put in our mouth ! Just keep it one day at a time and don't give up on YOU ! Friend me if you would like ! Anne
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I think the one thing I read is this - "Six months from now, you will be glad you did this" Try a mindset that says - I am changing my lifestyle for x months. I decided I would stay the course for six months or until I hit my goal, and then I would slowly work my way into a solid maintenance. I am happy with my food plan, and I am working on getting a daily activity plan that is sustainable.

The best thing about taking your time about staying on track is that your fitness habits become your normal.

So my new normal is a logging my calories and activity. My new normal is not eating junk food at the office (or anywhere, for that matter).
  • Shawneb66
    Shawneb66 Posts: 124
    Options
    When I started MFP I weighed 205, it's been 6 months and I now weight 156. For me it has been all about the food!! I weigh everything I put in my mouth and keep my macros at 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. That being said...I exercise, but not like a maniac. It was more important for me to get the weight off first and then tone up.

Get your mind in the game and you will succeed!! Good luck on your weight loss journey!!
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You've nailed the first bit with "go slow". Don't necessarily work out 5 times a week - work out 3 times a week and then the other two times, try and work in a couple of really long walks (maybe pushing your baby....I don't know if you are a stay at home Mum or working Mother - if you are the latter, it might be harder to fit in, so maybe put it in your lunch hour). The walks shouldn't feel like exercise, so hopefully won't "overwhelm" you.

Otherwise, how many pounds are you aiming to lose per week? Have you put in 2lbs? or perhaps even 1lb? Maybe only aim for 1/2 pound, so you have more calories to play with per day. If you are the kind of person who feels "overwhelmed" with an overly restricted calorie intake, it is going to be harder to keep at it long term (which you will have to do anyway), so give your brain a chance to adapt.

Also, (and I think this is very important) - if you are an emotional eater (e.g. you reward or comfort yourself with food), decide on some other things that you can turn to as a substitute, so that when you do feel overwhelmed, you don't turn to food (or at least calorific food). Some ideas: a favourite magazine and 30 minutes on your own (if somebody will look after baby) to enjoy it. Some new toiletries to pamper yourself in the bath, some herbal teas....(not always satisfying, but I find the process of making it, the lovely smell and the sensation of drinking something warm is often comforting)....

.....and finally - don't be too hard on yourself. I'm not surprised you have been overwhelmed. You are a new Mum! Life-changing. Also, studies show that our willpower is not infinite, so choose only 1 or 2 key things that you want to control or change (e.g. move, if only a 20 minute walk, every day) and leave the others until the first item becomes habit rather than takes willpower. Only then should you move onto the next thing you want to change or improve...

All the best and good luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Start off slow, carry on slow.
    Change your diet and lifestyle to something sustainable not "go on a diet".

If it takes a year to make to get to close to your goal so what? You have a lot of years left to live.
    Would be a great gift to your child growing up in an environment where there are healthy attiudes to eating and activity.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I Changed my goal to 0.5 lb a week. Before i had at 2 lbs and did nt work well for me.

I Am a stay at home mom at the moment. but within this month i ll be going to part time.

Thnks for the advice !
  • Packer_Hotty
    Options
    Be patient, hun, and stick with it
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I think the one thing I read is this - "Six months from now, you will be glad you did this" Try a mindset that says - I am changing my lifestyle for x months. I decided I would stay the course for six months or until I hit my goal, and then I would slowly work my way into a solid maintenance. I am happy with my food plan, and I am working on getting a daily activity plan that is sustainable.

The best thing about taking your time about staying on track is that your fitness habits become your normal.

So my new normal is a logging my calories and activity. My new normal is not eating junk food at the office (or anywhere, for that matter).
    Love this post, I told myself "just make it to July 1st and see what kind of progress you can make" I made a huge amount in those 7 1/2 months. I kept going (of course) and now I am getting close to my goal. Will I be done? No. I already have my next goal in mind after I take off the weight ;) fitness is not a destination, it's a constant state of improvement.
  • missylawrie
    Options
    I would also say slowly is better, also frustrating but if it comes of any quicker than 2lbs a week its muscle and water you are losing, healthy diet with regular exercise will burn fat and come off at a pace that will not pile back on on a few "bad" days!! After many extreme diets and potions I have finally realised this!!!!