Need help with exercise

Hi all,

I suffer with Achillies Tendonitis and find it hard to exercise without being in pain.

I wondered if any of you have some advice?

I walk as much as i can now but i dont feel its enough.

Thank you

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    I had trouble with my knee when I started. I began with strength training. Google Nerd Fitness and get their body weight circuit training for beginners. Adapt to what you can do now and build your strength. I could barely do any of it when I started. Last week I began lifiting heavy - it's awesome! Get some strength exercises going instead of so much cardio. Shoot for 2 - 3 days of strength training a week . Make sure you leave a rest day in between them and you can do some enjoyable walking on the off days. Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • momlovestosing
    momlovestosing Posts: 1 Member
    Have you tried strength training? I have had bad injuries with my Achilles. While it was healing, I found that lifting weights (hand weights) kept my heart rate up. Just laying on the floor and pushing the weights upward, 12 repetitions, 4 sets, helped. While on the floor, I work my abdominal muscles by starting my legs at an upward position and lowering them slowly to just a few inches above the ground and back up again. (Rest position is up). Try that three times. Then two, then one. Keep going if you're strong enough.

Use real weights, not wimpy 2-pounds. Lift at least seven pounds each hand, ten if you can. You'll feel like you're dying, but if you keep good form, the workout is over really quickly if you alternate the arms and abs, ten minutes maybe.

AT takes a good, long while to heal properly. You may have to be off of your legs for at least a week. Don't rush it, though.
  • margatetrace
    margatetrace Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you for the advice guys, i have been suffering with AT for about 5 years now, had an op on my right ankle but it hasnt had the desired affect as i suffered a DVT after the op. The left AT is now really bad and am awaiting an op on that one too.

Gonna do the strength training and see how i get on.