Relationship of carbs to weight loss

Options
My guided nutrition goals show a high amount of carbs compared all other nutrients. This doesnt make sense to me because although I would not go to the extent of cutting out carbs completely (i.e. atkins), I have been speaking to alot of fit friends and personal trainers who all tell me that the best way to lose the tire around the waist is to eat less carbs, especially white bread and pasta.

I dont get it!

Replies

• AJG7979
    Options
    I think the goal guide is just a general guide based on the recommended nutritional balance for a healthy, active lifestyle.
    I myself have been eating low carb for a few weeks and just ignore the carb section on my guide.
    I guess that they can't take every diet into consideration and it would be down to you to work out your own preferred balance.
  • AJG7979
    Options
    Just found out as well that you change the percentages in your goal guide. Go into home goals, click change goals, select custom, and change the % carbs, fat and protein to your desired level. :happy:
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    The body loves to burn glucose, a simple sugar. (If you have a science background, this happens in the mitochondria: O2 + C6H12O6 =>oxidation=> CO2 + H2O + ATP (energy). This also goes into the Krebs cycle for more energy.)

For short term storage, it likes glycogen, which is basically a starch. Once it burns through its store of glycogen (which will help you drop a lot of water weight), it will burn lipids which the body uses for long term storage. The body will burn protein last. When you lose muscle, you're malnutritioned and close to starvation.

Now, I say all of that because some people think that by cutting out carbs, you go right to burning fat. But this is like saying because all people die, I just won't have kids. It's basically over simplified to the point of inaccuracy. Your body needs carbs, proteins, and fat. The same way a no fat diet doesn't make people skinny, neither does a no carb diet. They work for a while, then your body adjusts. You can teach your body--you can't trick it. At least not long term.

Carbs should be 40-60% of your daily caloric intake.

Here I found this link for you:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/low-carb-diet/NU00279/METHOD=print
    Note last thing it says.