The 3500 calorie equation must be flawed.

Options
13»

Replies

• smpgetsfit
    smpgetsfit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ascotton80
    ascotton80 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The other comical thing is to hear folks say "as long as you eat to your calories, it doesn't matter what you eat"....WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP.

So many folks on here eat fast food, stay within their cal goals and lose no weight. Wanna know why? Fat and sodium. May fit into your cal goals but the intake of trans fat and sodium will kill all your other efforts. Or they eat an apple for the next meal and think they have balanced their goals for the day.

Its ok to have a cheat day, but do not expect to eat that type of processed food on a regular basis and hit your goals.

It's how it works for me - I stay within my calories, I lose weight. Regardless of what type of calories they are.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I've lost an average of 4lbs a week since I started six weeks ago. I have my calories at a 1000 a day deficit to lose 2lbs a week. I try to eat good stuff, but I'm realistic and I know it's not possible to eat 100% perfectly every day. I do what works for me...I am a diet 100x better than it was 2 months ago, but I still eat junk once in a while if I want it. I monitor sodium levels for blood pressure reasons but that's it, and I've lost six inches on my stomach, two on my thighs, and one on my bicep. I do maybe 30min cardio 5x a week and one strength day very minimal.

One day I'll stall and have to eat better, but it's a process, you can't do it all at once. I just try to change one small thing a week. I have 103 lbs left to lose, as I get closer I'm well aware I'll have to do better than I am. But to expect people to go from 0 to 60 is just ludacris.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thank you AnneHart Excellent information. I'll read your links later.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    First of all, your body adjusts your metabolism when you restrict calories. Yo-yo dieters in particular have the problem that they've slowed their metabolism way down.

Secondly, you have to factor in inaccuracies in measuring how much food you've eaten and how many calories you've burned. People think that a teaspoon or a cup are way bigger than they are.

Third, everything here is an average, and people can fall on various sides of the bell curve. Heck, even the calorie counts of foods are an average.

Great points
    8488541.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The other comical thing is to hear folks say "as long as you eat to your calories, it doesn't matter what you eat"....WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP.

So many folks on here eat fast food, stay within their cal goals and lose no weight. Wanna know why? Fat and sodium. May fit into your cal goals but the intake of trans fat and sodium will kill all your other efforts. Or they eat an apple for the next meal and think they have balanced their goals for the day.

Its ok to have a cheat day, but do not expect to eat that type of processed food on a regular basis and hit your goals.

Agree with this 200%. The other week I had a really terrible terrible week. Ate almost every single meal out. I stayed within my macros for each and every day.... and didn't lose an ounce. The next week I cook at home, eat healthier, less processed foods, and boom, 2.4 pounds gone (some water weight I'm sure from all the salt in the stupid fast food). Suffice it to say, I just proved to myself that eating out has to be an 'every once in a while' thing, not an every day thing.
  • Mandr2199
    Mandr2199 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Study performed in which a researcher set to prove this. He ate 1500 calories a day on junk food. Just twinkies, ho-ho's, cup cakes. He had a vitamin sup and a protein sup as well. In addition to losing 15 pounds he lowered his A1C, blood pressure and choles.
    http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/diet/articles/2010/09/29/junk-food-the-new-weight-loss-diet
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Truth be told, there are not hard and fast rules for losing weight. We are all our own science experiments. Try this, try that, see what works. If it works, use it until it stops working, then find something else. There are too many factors involved to simplify it to actual rules. Hormone levels, stress at work, stress at home, sleep habits, workout habits, varying activity levels, macronutrients, micronutrients, amout of water you drink in a day, mood, etc. As complex as the human body is, any one thing can throw off your weight loss and limit your progress. Experiment.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Hmm I don't know, seems to work for me....