Elliptical machine workouts

Options
2»

Replies

• mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I tend to use dumb bells whilst on the elliptical too as this engages your core with having to use balance, the elliptical classes were great!
    Nothing heavy just about a 4KG weight for me and i then do shoulder press, punches, curls and chest raises with them
    It really mixes it up on the elliptical though it does make you look like a d*ck and you feel like all eyes are on you for doing something abnormal

You can do squats on the elliptical too or deep squats where you take most of the resistance off and hang back on the central pegs then slowly lower yourself to a point where your thighs burn like hell as you slowly push the paddles around
  • carholl
    carholl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I actually just started using the elliptical and find it extremely hard! I can not go past 5 or 10 minutes on level 1! (with a few rest periods), is this normal? I walk/run almost daily (4 miles) and find it so easy compared to this wicked machine!!

I use mine for about 40 minutes 5 days a week, and there's no telling how many breaks I have to take while doing those 40 minutes...they're not more than 30 seconds, but still..I must be really really slow cause I don't seem to burn the calories other people are reporting. I choose to blame that on being 56 and a smoker :) but who knows? I know what you mean about the wicked machine...if i was crafty at all I would figure out how to attach red horns to it. But my job is very sedentary and other than walking my 14 year old dog every day for about 20 minutes, it's the only exercise I get. When I was going to the gym I would watch TV, but I have bought one for home use and find I get very bored and distracted, so I'm trying to do some reading while on it. It's not perfect, but it does get me sweating, heart pounding and legs shaking!
  • sharronak
    sharronak Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So I guess my gazelle edge monitor is broken, I do 50 minutes at high impact it says im burning 3300 calories. After reading what yall posted, I doubt im burning that much
  • sharronak
    sharronak Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Fyi, I just installed the tracker thats why it states 0 lbs lost, eick,:sad:
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    My main goal is to burn fat.

Ditch the long, slow, steady cardio. Do HIIT. Lift weights.

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/06/04/high-intensity-interval-training-hiit-best-cardio-to-burn-fat/

ETA: Long, steady cardio may have its place in your fitness program....especially if you enjoy it. Are you training for endurance or cardiovascular health? A race? Etc? If so, great! Keep it up! If you are drudging away on the elliptical or treadmill to lose fat and burn calories, there are better, more efficient and way more FUN ways. This is coming from someone who hates long, steady cardio. I only do 4 mins via Tabata Training a few times a week, if that. :wink:
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I do the elliptical 3-4 times a week for exactly one sex and the city episode on hbo to go. :bigsmile:
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have a book I read when I get on the elliptical, and I listen to music. I go faster to faster beat songs, and slow to slow beats. I guess that's interval.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill, but I'm having an ankle problem so I did 15 minutes on the elliptical using the intervals program. If I do it too long my feet go numb, but the boredom would get me long before that.