Crossfit & Paleo

Options
Hello,

I have been thinking about trying Crossfit and following the Paleo diet. This weekend I went to the local box that will be opening soon to check things out. I did a warm-up, worked with kettlebells, 20in box jumps, push-ups, pull-ups, and air squats. I was dead after 20mins but I really enjoyed it!! My normal workout/diet has been playing tennis, playing basketball, jogging, doing Jillian's 30day shred, and watching my calories. I lost 27lbs doing this but once the weather started to get colder I put 8lbs back on. I need a lifestyle change. Please let me know your thoughts about starting Crossfit and Paleo. Thanks :happy:

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are Crossfit is dangerous and Paleo is extreme and unnecessary. Lift weights as heavy as you can and eat a diet high enough in protein and fat at a calorie level that causes 1-2lbs per week weight loss.
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I started CrossFit almost a month ago and I absolutely love it. Some stuff is major scary for me like the box jumps, but I have been very impressed with the trainers that have helped me make modifications where I needed to. I've also met a whole new network of motivating people. I just started Paleo this past week as a trial basis. It feels very foreign to me as I have been a vegetarian for the past 2 years until now. I'm enjoying the taste of the food, but its still really weird for me to be eating so much meat and cooking it at home. I'm planning on giving Paleo a good solid month and making a decision about whether to stick with it or go back to my vegetarianism. Good luck to you in your journey!
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are Crossfit is dangerous and Paleo is extreme and unnecessary. Lift weights as heavy as you can and eat a diet high enough in protein and fat at a calorie level that causes 1-2lbs per week weight loss.

I honestly don't understand the "CrossFit is dangerous". I've seen this statement more than once now and totally don't get it. I have only been doing CrossFit for a month but I have been taught many modifications, scaling of weight, and proper form has been highly re-iterated. Our trainers stop us dead in our tracks if they see us using bad form or breaking form on a lift. We are not allowed to go above the amount of weight that we can safely perform WITH perfect form and the trainers are constantly watching us and giving immediate feedback. I have never felt like I was allowed to do something that could potentially be dangerous. Is it not this way everywhere?
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Crossfit! And it's only dangerous if you aren't smart. Make sure your coaches at the box are good and helpful and you should never have any problem!
    I also really like the Paleo diet, I do have a hard time sticking to it 100% but I try my best. I just love cheese and pasta so much I will add it in here or there!
  • FullOfWin
    Options

I honestly don't understand the "CrossFit is dangerous". I've seen this statement more than once now and totally don't get it. I have only been doing CrossFit for a month but I have been taught many modifications, scaling of weight, and proper form has been highly re-iterated. Our trainers stop us dead in our tracks if they see us using bad form or breaking form on a lift. We are not allowed to go above the amount of weight that we can safely perform WITH perfect form and the trainers are constantly watching us and giving immediate feedback. I have never felt like I was allowed to do something that could potentially be dangerous. Is it not this way everywhere?

No, it is not like that everywhere.
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with Eat2Live2Run. I have been doing CrossFit for 4 months now. Paleo about 80/20 for 4 weeks. Start with the CrossFit and ease your way into Paleo if it interests you you don't have to go all or nothing - it's about making good/better choices and getting healthy. I love CrossFit. It's a great combination of endurance and strength and one of the best things I've done for myself in a long time. My ex even says, "I wish you would have found this a long time ago.' You can modify it to fit your personal level but you'll be surprised how quick you start picking things up. I'm 46 years old and feel better than I did in my 20s and 30s.

Going back to the 'dangerous' comment. I've heard this as well. It's as dangerous as any other sport, exercise, etc. Watch your form, do things right, and know your limitations. Some people, including myself, push them. Sometimes you get a lot better and every now and then you get an injury. It's no different than running, lifting weights, etc.

Find a great box and encouraging people. I think you'll end up loving it. Good Luck!
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy crossfit and I've seen favorable results. So yea...I'm sticking with it! :)

I was reluctant at first for getting hurt, but that faded away after talking with the coach. All the coaches I have at my crossfit are very good and attentive. They do encourage to speak up if something feels funny so they can correct your form, or have you do a lower scale or different exercise entirely.

As for Paleo, I do like the idea of eating primal and some of my meals are paleo. It is hard to stick with since I love dairy foods.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    the only reason crossfit is dangerous is that people look up the WOD on their own, and then attempt to do it on their own without any sort of training/supervision, and thus they hurt themselves. if you're doing it at a crossfit gym or with a trainer, it's no more dangerous than anything else.

and Paleo is the way we should all be eating. I don't do great with it, I still cheat here and there, but conceptually I try to stick with it as much as possible.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Crossfit & Paleo are a beautiful match. Kippling pullups are the perfect analogy for what paleo does with science.
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This was perfect timing. i am going for my consultation on Wednesday. Going to do the 30 day challenge on Paleo and start out at 2x a week.

I am really interested in the weight lifting and they have a women's only class on Saturdays. Hope to work up to being able to take that class.

I have gotten bored with the gym routine , luckily I have became a runner and run 4x a week for about 20 miles a week.

Would welcome some other Cross Fit Supporters here in MFP,
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for support for either of those things, there are groups on here for them specifically.

If you don't have a good relationship with food to begin with, I don't advise eating paleo. Just eat minimally processed, whole foods as much as you can and the few times you have a little fun it won't be a big deal.

CrossFit can be a great workout, but research your gym A LOT and don't turn into a beat up, hand torn, RX til I die douche. ;)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Crossfit & Paleo are a beautiful match. Kippling pullups are the perfect analogy for what paleo does with science.

+1
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for support for either of those things, there are groups on here for them specifically.

If you don't have a good relationship with food to begin with, I don't advise eating paleo. Just eat minimally processed, whole foods as much as you can and the few times you have a little fun it won't be a big deal.

CrossFit can be a great workout, but research your gym A LOT and don't turn into a beat up, hand torn, RX til I die douche. ;)

THIS!! I do crossfit 2 times a week as a "change up" to my normal work out routine. I enjoy it, and it was difficult learning the forms in the beginning. I"m not stupid and won't do weights I'm not comfortable with, so don't let others in the classes make you feel that way if they are taking unnecessary risks. Injuries are part of athletics, period. I've been a long distance runner to a college baseball player, and I've injured myself(nothing serious so far) doing both. Doing crossfit doesn't mean you WILL get injured any more than you lifting weights will. Again, it is a GREAT workout, and if you have good trainers running the classes, you will not be in positions to do things that will risk harm unnecessarily.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    Doing crossfit doesn't mean you WILL get injured any more than you lifting weights will

Incorrect.
  • linds2324
    Options
    I just started doing crossfit 2 weeks ago & LOVE it. I don't understand why there are so many nay-sayers that just seem to keep bashing it. You've stated your opinion, so just move on.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

+2

Plus....nevermind the horrendous drain on your wallet between both of them.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    I just started doing crossfit 2 weeks ago & LOVE it. I don't understand why there are so many nay-sayers that just seem to keep bashing it. You've stated your opinion, so just move on.

Because new people keep asking. We bash it because it gets people hurt among other things. If I stop one person from sustaining an injury in 5 years of bashing, it will have been worth it.

Think about this, while not everyone is in to either, and some people's opinions vary on which is better, no one ever straight up bashes normal weight lifting or bodyweight strength training. People mostly don't bash normal cardio. People don't bash normal eating at a calorie deficit. All of these things will produce as good or better results than Crossfit.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I am now going to call body weight squats - air squats cause it made me think of farting.

I love all this stuff but im hesistant to get into a meal plan - i enjoy eating on the fly, not ready for that kind of crack down yet - but eventually I will be.
  • kayellgee
    Options
    I LOVE Crossfit! And it's only dangerous if you aren't smart. Make sure your coaches at the box are good and helpful and you should never have any problem!
    I also really like the Paleo diet, I do have a hard time sticking to it 100% but I try my best. I just love cheese and pasta so much I will add it in here or there!

This :)