At the gym

Options
When I go to the gym how do I determine how much weight I should lift on the weight machines to go along with my usual cardio exercise?

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    You'd like to be able to get 8-10 reps out of each set. So, add as much weight so it is hard, but not impossible, to do 8-10 sets.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Reps I mean.
  • LemonJADE
    LemonJADE Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    You should use enough weight that it's difficult for you to crank out the last two reps of each set.
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    i know free weights are better than machines but i have no one to spot for me. i'll use the machines because they're better than nothing.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    i know free weights are better than machines but i have no one to spot for me. i'll use the machines because they're better than nothing.

The gym should have a power rack which would allow you to lift safely alone. Alternatively you can ask any random for a spot on bench press at least since it is the most dangerous to do alone. I ask randoms frequently, and they are always happy to help. I also offer to spot randoms myself.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    While free weights are much better, it's easiest to start out on machines. Aim to do 2-4 sets of each exercise. Aim for b/w 6-10 reps for each set. You should reach muscle failure by the end. The key is to progress. If you do 10 reps for 3-4 sets, then it's time to up the weights.