TDEE and BMR

Options
hello all... again!
I know I just posted about something like this but i have another question. I'm still uneasy about how much I should be eating. I'm 19, 5'4 and weight 157. My TDEE says I should eat about 1500-1600. I upped it from MFP which was 1200. However, I set myself as lightly -moderatly active. I workout everyday for 30-90 minutes. I run, do elliptical, stair steppers, and occasionally weights (however my boyfriend is going to start training me and get me in tip top shape! hehe) My question is, do i eat back my workout calories or are they already calculated in? My weight will not budge and I'd rally appreciate as much help as i can get. thanks guys<3

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    TDEE includes exercise, so don't eat those calories back (unless you're starving).
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    reconsidered my post.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    ya your not lightly active if you workout everyday for 30-90 minutes doing mostly cardio.. unless your going at a slow pace which I doubt you are.. I would say your moderate, and your calorie count is pretty low for your activity.. using scoobys calculator your BMR is 1543 and your TDEE is around 2300.. so I would probably aim for 1800-1900 calories.. or 1550 and eat your exercise calories.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that was your TDEE you were calculating?

Based on your age, weight, and what you've said you used for your activity level, the number I got was 2122, which is 125% of your number. Using those same numbers, your RMR is 1527, which is likely the number that you are citing. That is your Resting Metabolic Rate, which is the absolute minimum your body needs to have to maintain it's current existence.

Ideally, to lose weight, you want to be eating at 80 - 85% of your TDEE - in your case that would be around 1700 - 1800 calories, before you count your exercise calories. Even if you want to start around there and not count your exercise, it would be a improvement. Your body is not going to build any muscle, and you will sacrifice lean body mass if you aren't providing it with the building blocks it needs to maintain and build from.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How did you calculate your TDEE? According to my calculations, a 20% cut from your TDEE would be 1700-1900 calories depending on if you choose light to moderately active. 1500 sounds too low for the amount of exercise you are doing.

And yes, if you set your calories as a cut from TDEE, that includes your exercise so you would not eat additional exercise calories.
  • asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Is 1500 your TDEE or your TDEE-deficit? I calculated your BMR as 1500-1600, not your TDEE. Make sure you never eat less than your BMR and then experiment a bit back and forth until you fins something which works for you. It may be smarter to lose a bit slower but mostly fat rather than muscle.

Also: Are you sure about that activity modifier? I would put you at least as moderately active.
  • merso001
    Options
    thanks guys! I must have been doing it wrong! I will up my calories for sure! I was scared i would consider myself too active and eat too many calories! Ill aim for 1700-1900! I calculated my TDEE deficit from an online calculator I found. I obviously didnt do it right hah!
  • merso001
    Options
    i upped my intake to 1750 and i gained. will i gain before I lose? sorry if that sounds like a dumb question. I've just gained two days in a row from upping my intake.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Gains are pretty common. Usually they go away after a week or 2. Just your body adapting to more food.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Give it a couple of weeks. I weigh myself daily, but I only record it once a week at the same time in the same manner. My weight can fluctuate daily up to 2 or 3 lbs for no apparent reason. It's likely high sodium the day before, or that time of month, or I overate the day before and still have a lot of food in me, etc.

That being said, I tried eating at a higher level for about 2.5 months. I was still losing weight, but at a much slower rate. So I went back to netting my 1200 (eating all my exercise calories) and I've had much more success.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Obviously I get it's a little different as I have anorexia, but when I first started recovering, I gained 10lbs in my first week of recovery because my body wasn't getting enough fuel previously. A year on though and I can eat around 2000 calories and still lose weight. In the last two months, I have lost 6lbs eating an average of 2000 calories per day. I know people say one size doesn't fit all but I'm 4ft 10in, currently 101.8lbs, 20 years old, and only burn 100-200 calories through walking per day, so I do believe in the eat more to weigh less concept. Have patience and dedication and you will get there xxx