dinner ideas for a non diet boyfriend and a girl on a diet

Options
2»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Make the man beef, hamburger and sausage at least once a week. You have a small piece and fill up on salad and veggies. You are going to have to learn to modify your eating to live in this world.
  • amfabiano
    Options
    "Well who cooks? You? He can eat it or go hungry."

Amen! :smile:
  • 2507tiffany
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. I have been doing the smaller portions for me, even before i started dieting(he is a big guy). I do the cooking, and he doesnt usually complain about what i make, but if i were to cut out his favorites for more than a meal or two a week he would have a coniption! I am gunna try some of the ideas posted and as far as starchy sides go....any alternative to velveeta or regular mac and cheese that i won't feel like a cow after eating?!?!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Brown rice. Cook it in broth for some extra flavor.
    Sweet potato. They are amazingly good for you. Even regular potato, baked or boiled.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. I have been doing the smaller portions for me, even before i started dieting(he is a big guy). I do the cooking, and he doesnt usually complain about what i make, but if i were to cut out his favorites for more than a meal or two a week he would have a coniption! I am gunna try some of the ideas posted and as far as starchy sides go....any alternative to velveeta or regular mac and cheese that i won't feel like a cow after eating?!?!

Starchy sides: sweet potatoes, baked potatoes (calorie dense but filling), quinoa, brown rice (try Alton Brown's baked brown rice...I hated brown rice until that recipe), couscous, make your own mac and cheese (check out rice cooker macaroni and cheese for an easy one), pasta, bread. Starches tend to be pretty calorie dense so just watch your portions.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Tell him to feed himself.
  • Check out skinnytaste.com. My husband is a transplanted midwesterner who loves his meat, potatoes and cheese. I have found lots there to make us both happy.
    Agreed! This website is AMAZING!
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    You could always just make your own if that suits you better. I personally hate cooking so my boyfriend cooks 75% of the time and we always find ways to make it work. If we want hamburgers we use whole wheat bread instead of white buns, lean meat, veggie toppings/whatever sauce we want as well as sweet potato fries on the side. Lower calorie alternatives that really taste the same and we both enjoy.

As time goes on you'll figure out things similar to this that you both enjoy and don't feel like either of you are on some stupid diet.
  • MidlifeGlowUp
    MidlifeGlowUp Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Clean Eating Magazine really should reward me for the number of times I mention them on this site. It's my go-to source for healthy, family friendly recipes. It's especially well suited for healthy meal resistent family members, because you're offering them cleaned up versions of things they already recognize and enjoy.

The recipes are fantastic. Check it out. You won't be sorry.

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Dinner-Tonight.aspx
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    This is craziness to me. People have a hard enough time keeping themselves motivated to eat healthily without working about someone else pooping on their parade.

Listen...you are doing something that you feel you need to do for you. Your man should be supportive of that. I am not passing judgment in the least, but the easiest path to derailment is going to be creating extra work for yourself, trying to accommodate others, potentially adding foods to your meals that you would otherwise not, etc.

Make what you want to make. Make the things that will keep you motivated to eat healthy. If he wants sausage and you feel that you shouldn't eat it. Tell him to go make it himself.
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I love my husband. I do the cooking. He's supportive of me getting healthy - and allows me to spend endless amounts of money at Trader Joes for my "weirdo healthy stuff".

In no way, shape, or form - is him NOT wanting to eat rice cakes and low fat granola bars; him telling me he's "not being supportive". He just doesn't like those kind of foods.

I hear ya.

He's a carnivor. He likes meat... and potatos... and rice... and cheese... All the things I too, love. And that's why I got chunky. But he's an electrician, and has a much more manual job that my 8-5 desk job at a college.

Here's what I typically do:

He wants spaghetti with meat sauce and sausage? Cool. I do LEAN ground beef (93% fat) and turkey or chicken sausage. We are doing tacos? Cool. I just skip the extra cheese and stuff in mine, and I use low carb or corn tortillas. He wants sloppy joes and chips with dip? No prob. I again use the lean beef (he can't stand ground turkey - unless I do a 25% to 75% portion of it with ground beef... just doesn't like the taste, or else I'd use it more)... and instead of chips n' dip, I make myself a salad with whatever vege's I want.

Typically, I make us the same main dish... using the healthiest products I can that will still taste good to him... substituting healthier meats and things where there is typically a fatty ingredient. And then I always have a bunch of vege's for my side, but I still make him his baked potato or whatever he wants.

Honestly, it hasn't become a problem. He just cares that things taste good. And I make sure they do. If I can't get away with making healthy ingredient swamps, then I just watch my portion size and eat tons of vege's with it to fill up.

Good luck. :) Just make healthy swaps when you can.
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    Well who cooks?

You? He can eat it or go hungry

Exactly. My husband likes me to cook and I love cooking so I do not mind. When I started eating clean and healthy (not dieting) I just stopped buying junk and making a lot of meals that were healthy and he had no choice of food. I still include meat in most of the meals, but we eat a lot more salads and vegetables and fruit. If you are cooking and he doesn't like it, he can make his own food.