ANNOYING COWORKER

Options
Sorry but I just have to rant about something!!!!!! I work with a girl that was chubbier than me. She has always battled with her weight her whole life. She has dieted before and lost a lot of weight! Then a little over 1 year ago she had gastric bypass because she said that she couldn't lose the weight on her own fast enough and she was getting married and didn't want to be a fat bride.

Since then she has had the gastric bypass, lost over 150lbs and gotten married. She found out that my co-worker/very good friend and I were using MFP and exercising on our lunches and weighing in on fridays together. Now she says how she is using MFP too because she is too fat and needs to lose more weight (she weighs 150lbs and is 5ft 7inches) and wants the support . She wants to weigh in with us now on fridays and if she could (but our boss wants someone in office at all times) she would exercise with us...

I understand that some people have to have gastric bypass and I am not slamming the fact that people have it done. But what frustrates me is that she didn't do this to be healthier !she did it to be thin for her wedding! A life changing surgery for a wedding! Then has the audacity to tell me that she knows how hard this will be for me because she remembers what it is like to be fat and unhealthy and that she is here for me if I need someone! And says that "thank god that she doesnt have cravings anymore!

She talks crap about overweight people now and I just want to blurt out to her "IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE PART OF YOUR GUTS CUT OUT THEN YOU WOULD STILL BE OVERWEIGHT YOURSELF!" She tends to forget that she would still be fighting the fat if she hadn't had surgery. She makes comments about how she is still so fat and its so hard to lose the rest of that weight!!!! I don't need or want to hear what she says! She acts better than everyone! She even said that she never wants another baby because she is afraid of getting fat!!! This right in front of my friend that just had a baby!!!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Some people are so ignorant... Kill 'em with kindness girl!!
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Wow!

Ya know, I think that is her defense mechanism. Maybe she is jealous that you two are working together and have a support system for losing weight in a healthy way without drugs or surgery.

I totally see your frustration. That sucks

i DO NOT tell my co-workers I am working out or eating better because every time I do they buy me milkshakes and order pizza and try to sabotage what I am doing. I'd probably pretend like you are not trying anymore (fell off the wagon after the New Year's Resolution wore off lol) and just let her notice you losing weight. When she notices and says something...say, oh really? LOL

That is what I would do. I've lost 5lbs so far and nobody even knows I am dieting/working out.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    You should not be annoyed by her, but pity her. She lost her weight, but has still found out that only real lifestyle changes keep weight off! You are working very hard to make the real lifestyle changes. She is trying to make herself feel better at others' expenses, which really never works! You take pride in your hardwork, which can never be taken away or replaced by something else! You are making changes from the inside out that will make you a better and stronger person, physically and mentally. Kudos to you! Keep it up and don't let her bog you down!
  • OneMission
    OneMission Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Some people are so ignorant... Kill 'em with kindness girl!!

I second that!!! You CAN and WILL do it!!!
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well She does understand how it is to be overweight. Sounds like she just wants to be your friend. She did have a major surgery and most likely even though she said she didn't want to be a fat bride, she also struggled with it her whole life and just didn't want to be fat anymore. Tell her how you feel, nicely, but be empathetic to her as well.:smile:
  • 2kidzlater
    2kidzlater Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Fat or not she's just not a happy person. Most woman would gain the weight all over again for their kids. She's just self absorbed.
    Take a deep breath, stress is not good for the body!
  • happybrooke
    Options
    I once had to deal with an annoying coworker. She was a big girl to start with, then had lost a ton of weight (we were all very proud, don't get me wrong) then she got a boob job and other plastic surgery to "top off her new look." At the end of her amazing journey, she could have used that as inspiration to others, but instead would judge others for being overweight. She'd walk into the lunchroom and say things like "eating like that is what makes you fat." To whomever was eating whatever. We had a new employee who was naturally stick thin and she walked right up to her and said, "I hate you new girl. You're thin." and walked away. Occasionally our boss or customers would bring in donuts or bagels, and a few times she would walk in and throw it away. She said that it wasn't fair because that was her weakness, it just can't be here. The rest of us were often offended by her behavior. Her physical transformation was amazing and inspiring, but her personality transformation was ugly. It was like a little kid who gets bullied, then grows up to be the bully.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    No worries that she'll see this post, as she using MFP now, too? Maybe if she reads it & sees how you really feel she'll back off.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Wow!

Ya know, I think that is her defense mechanism. Maybe she is jealous that you two are working together and have a support system for losing weight in a healthy way without drugs or surgery.

I totally see your frustration. That sucks

i DO NOT tell my co-workers I am working out or eating better because every time I do they buy me milkshakes and order pizza and try to sabotage what I am doing. I'd probably pretend like you are not trying anymore (fell off the wagon after the New Year's Resolution wore off lol) and just let her notice you losing weight. When she notices and says something...say, oh really? LOL

That is what I would do. I've lost 5lbs so far and nobody even knows I am dieting/working out.

God, I am with you there. My office is a treat haven. And God love my coworkers, they always say "well, you've lost so much already, what's the difference?" AHHHH!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    :grumble: No worries! She only uses it on her IPhone and has no interest in using the website at all. She hardly uses the App for her phone as it is! Just when she sees us looking then she makes a comment about how she needs to fill in her food diary!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. Really gives me something to think about! Almost makes me feel sorry for her!:huh:
  • thisemmabites
    Options
    No worries that she'll see this post, as she using MFP now, too? Maybe if she reads it & sees how you really feel she'll back off.

That was exactly what I was thinking! lol
  • lemonllama
    lemonllama Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think the people that appreciate it the most are the ones that work for it. Like anything in life, like how people who work hard for money are more appreciative and do better with it then the ones who have it given to them.

So in a sense, I think that she didnt have to really WORK for it, so she probably doesnt appreciate it, and when you get there, you will have worked hard, and you will be 100x more appreciative and love yourself more then she ever will.

I know what you mean about the surgery, I think its great in a sense that people do lose weight and they have less health problems blah blah blah, so im definately not knocking that, and im sure a lot of them DO appreciate it..
    I have a relative who got it, and i know what you mean about the annoyingpart. all she talks about everytime she visits is how little she can eat and food food food like its still an obsession and literally thats ALL i hear about oh i can only eat this little oh blah blah blah blah and acts almost superior because shes lost 100+lbs and acts like she has all the answers on dieting, weight loss, all that, when other relatives are strugling to do it on their own!
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I think the people that appreciate it the most are the ones that work for it. Like anything in life, like how people who work hard for money are more appreciative and do better with it then the ones who have it given to them.

AMEN!
  • karoske
    karoske Posts: 38
    Options
    I really think that the whole weight-loss vs life-style change is where the true transformation takes place. If you are in it just for the weight loss you don't change what made you fat to begin with. You don't deal with the emotions, problems.. etc.. When you make a lifestyle change you change what was wrong to make you fat in the first place. You are able to be an inspiration, a role-model and you can have heart for others fat or thin! I think those that get angry, pass judgment are only that way because they see in others what they wish they had or their own faults. But they won't deal with it..
    Hope I made since.. just my opinion! :)
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I once had to deal with an annoying coworker. She was a big girl to start with, then had lost a ton of weight (we were all very proud, don't get me wrong) then she got a boob job and other plastic surgery to "top off her new look." At the end of her amazing journey, she could have used that as inspiration to others, but instead would judge others for being overweight. She'd walk into the lunchroom and say things like "eating like that is what makes you fat." To whomever was eating whatever. We had a new employee who was naturally stick thin and she walked right up to her and said, "I hate you new girl. You're thin." and walked away. Occasionally our boss or customers would bring in donuts or bagels, and a few times she would walk in and throw it away. She said that it wasn't fair because that was her weakness, it just can't be here. The rest of us were often offended by her behavior. Her physical transformation was amazing and inspiring, but her personality transformation was ugly. It was like a little kid who gets bullied, then grows up to be the bully.

LOL this made me laugh so hard I almost forgot what the original post was about!!!! :laugh:

SD just keep working hard & doing it the right way b/c once you at your ideal weight you can educate her on how it's done the correct way!!! Keep your focus & let her keep on chatting!!! You'll be fine & are doing GREAT!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying and I know I would be very annoyed as well.

That said, try to be compassionate to her. She probably feels bad about herself deep down and it's hard to see other people be successful at something you feel you failed at. Even though she lost the weight, she probably does feel like she "cheated" in a way. I think I might feel that way. Usually people who act like they are "better" act like that because they are trying to make themselves FEEL better. Lots of people pretend to be happy. They pretend.

It's SO hard struggling with the weigh issue and there are times I have felt "desperate". I would never have surgery if I didn't feel like it was truly medically necessary, just because you are risking your life, however small the risk it might be. YOU are doing great...going at things the healthy way!

If she is driving you crazy, and some people do, avoid her if you can. If she is approachable, talk to her in a kind way about how the comments she makes, make you feel, and can be a turn off to others. Above all though, don't be condesending back, (even though you may be very tempted to!). Know you are doing the right things and feel good about it. Encourage her to be healthy. Be kind to her. She may be really hurting inside. If she drives you guys crazy...she probably does the same to others. She may not have many friends.

We are SO much more than our bodies. We need to focus on being HEALTHY spiritually AND physically. So many people in this world feel they have little or no value if they don't look "perfect". That is so sad. Our bodies will all get old and wear out, but while our outer bodies are decaying, we should be renewing our interbodies. Something we all need to remember.

YOU are beautiful. Show her kindness. :)

-Susan
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    254666.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I was eating lunch in the office today and someone walked up, looked at my dish and said " Hey, are you STILL doing that eat healthy thing??"

Like eating healthy is a nasty habit! I swear she said it like I was smoking a cigarette in the lunch room.

I just looked at her............I mean I was having brocolli, my homemade meatsauce (1/2 cup) and 1 manicotti...........not exactly on the health food registry.

Whew...........didnt even know that bothered me! Thanks for letting ME vent :laugh:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who had gastric bypass. She lost incredible amounts of weight. I'll say it, she looks good. At a recent party, I said something about wanting to get back to logging my foods (this was after a 6 month or so hiatus and about a 20 lb gain).

She looked at me, and said...... "all you have to do is watch what you stick in your mouth"

Excuse me? I've lost weight doing it the slow hard way... You went and had surgery.... And you have the nerve to tell me that all I have to do is watch what I stick in my mouth????? If it was that damn easy, what did you have the surgery for?????

Sheesh!