Low fat and High Fiber Dinner

Options
Missy_B
Missy_B Posts: 14 Member
This is great because it is a meal my boyfriend will eat too..which is hard to find something low-fat for me that he enjoys as well, but this was a hit.

This is an easy-to-prepare Mexican-style family dish that's low in fat and high in fiber. Be sure to use extra-lean ground beef and reduced fat cheese, though.
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Ingredients:
•8 ounces extra-lean ground beef
•1/2 yellow onion, chopped
•1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
•2 tsp ground cumin
•1 15.5 ounce can pinto beans beans, drained
•1 14.5 ounce can no-salt added tomatoes, drained
•1 tbsp no-salt-added tomato paste
•3 8-inch corn tortillas
•1/2 cup reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese blend
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Crumble beef and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Add onion, jalapeno pepper and cumin and cook until onion has softened.

Stir in pinto beans, tomatoes and tomato paste; break up tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.

Spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Place one tortilla on the bottom. Spoon one half the beef and bean mixture on top. Place the second tortilla on top, follwed by rest of beef and bean mixture. Place third tortilla on top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve.

Serves 4.

Per Serving: Calories 295, Calories from Fat 61, Total Fat 6.8g (sat 3.4g), Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 684mg, Carbohydrate 34.6g, Fiber 13.7g, Protein 23.9g

Replies

• mshay05
    mshay05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yum!! I love mexican food! Thanks for the post! :love: