Skin and weight loss

Options
Question: I have already lost 15 pounds and I need to drop an additional 60 or so pounds. I am 5'3", 40ish and I am kind of pear shaped. I am afraid sagging skin will be an issue. I would love to hear from others about their experience with this problem and how I can minimize it.

Thanks

Replies

• cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I have tons of extra skin. I drink tons of water...use tons of moisturizer, lost weight slowly, blah blah blah...still rolls of hanging skin. The best I can do is completely deflate it so the only place it can go is in. Lol
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I have tons of extra skin. I drink tons of water...use tons of moisturizer, lost weight slowly, blah blah blah...still rolls of hanging skin. The best I can do is completely deflate it so the only place it can go is in. Lol

Basically. It'll get better with time and exercise.

I'm always going to tell myself, being 150 pounds with loose, saggy skin will always be better (healthier) then ever being 300 pounds again.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have saggy skin on my stomach and legs. It drives me crazy. I look good with clothes on, but can't stand the way I look naked or in a bathing suit. I think I'll eventually have a body lift. I lost weight slowly and did all of the right things. I think it's genetics and being pregnant twice and losing almost 100 pounds from my highest weight.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think each person is different I have not had any saggy skin *knock on wood* yet after losing 70lbs so I will continue to moisturize, eat right and exercise it may be just be genetics like some ppl have suggested? Good luck doll!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have a small amount of loose skin, mostly on my stomach and in the armpit area. I expect surgery is the only way it will go away.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Basically. It'll get better with time and exercise.

I'm always going to tell myself, being 150 pounds with loose, saggy skin will always be better (healthier) then ever being 300 pounds again.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it probably will not get better with time and exercise.... Your skin's elasticity is what it is. Whether you lose slowly or quickly or any of the other things we do, skin won't tighten up over time.
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. Not too optimistic but better be healthy and saggy than obese and dead.
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    i have 100 more pounds to lose and i use to be worried about it but im not anymore all you can do is try to tone it up and if you can't you will just have to get it removed
  • pt85
    pt85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think the wife threw a Shar-Pei comment at me the other day?

I make sure I'm standing straight up, and I don't do push-ups with my shirt off.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    My husband has noticed more definition in my back and arms, but I still have the bat wings. I had a guy at the gym tell me how I needed to save 10-15,000 and have surgery. I look at it as a reminder of where I was and don't want to be again.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yup. Loving the way I look in clothes, but naked? -- Not so much. Oh well. The number of people who see me naked is pretty darned finite, so whatever! :happy:

BTW, I'm 49, have lost a total of about 30 pounds over nine months (nice and slow) and didn't see the big-time sag start until I'd lost about 20. Since then I've been using every cream known to humanity (currently trying cocoa butter), but haven't seen any improvement. I've also recently started taking Omega-3's and a multi vitamin. Figure it can't hurt. Oh, and I've always drunk enough water to drown a lesser woman, so I'm good there. I do heavy weights 2-3 times per week and pretty intense cardio the other days of the week.

If there's anything else I can try, I'll do it -- just not willing to go the major surgery route.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Strength training is proven to help with losing weight with less result of a bunch of loose skin. Maybe not 100%, but it's prolly your best chance. It also helps with bone density because when you lose the weight you are more prone to osteoporosis. Other things I am trying that I hope will help (they can't hurt.)
    -losing weight with exercise as opposed to diet alone
    -drinking plenty of water
    -taking vitamins/supplements. Vitamin E is good for skin health.
    -using firming lotions that boast elements that boost elasticity in your skin. CoQ10, Collagen Elastin, etc.

I don't know if they'll help but combining those superficial attempts with strength training is my best bet I think. Also, I don't smoke but if I did I would quit. Anything that visually ages you or causes wrinkles seems counterproductive. Like I stated, it can't hurt.