GPS Watch

Options
2»

Replies

• nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    if you can't afford a watch, i would suggest a phone app, i used to use that and its pretty accurate. I think RunKeeper is one of the best.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I use as a daily watch, it's very comfortable. I also swim laps with it, hardly ever losing connectivity with chest strap which I hear is a problem with other brands. Many gps watches also do not even have the heart monitor function so make sure to look. The ambit has really easy presets for any activity so just chose whatever your doing and the screens will display whatever you want. My running screen shows distance and speed while my circuit training shows heart rate and calories. The gps is really really good. You can set points before a run and it will tell you where to go, or you can mark locations on way out for easy return. It's as useful as an automotive gps really. Not to mention the compass, altimeter, thermometer functions. The price is high I admit. I actually used a 20% coupon on rei for mine. However the usefulness is unsurpassed. The suunto site that watch syncs to is movescount.com check it out has lots more info. I can compare activities to those around the world, so it's really motivating. It almost has a myfitnesspal vibe to it.
  • tlheppler
    tlheppler Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I use as a daily watch, it's very comfortable. I also swim laps with it, hardly ever losing connectivity with chest strap which I hear is a problem with other brands. Many gps watches also do not even have the heart monitor function so make sure to look. The ambit has really easy presets for any activity so just chose whatever your doing and the screens will display whatever you want. My running screen shows distance and speed while my circuit training shows heart rate and calories. The gps is really really good. You can set points before a run and it will tell you where to go, or you can mark locations on way out for easy return. It's as useful as an automotive gps really. Not to mention the compass, altimeter, thermometer functions. The price is high I admit. I actually used a 20% coupon on rei for mine. However the usefulness is unsurpassed. The suunto site that watch syncs to is movescount.com check it out has lots more info. I can compare activities to those around the world, so it's really motivating. It almost has a myfitnesspal vibe to it.
    Awesome post, Thanks. Time to start saving
  • eddieharrisjr
    eddieharrisjr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the Motoactv, made by Motorola. It tracks calories burned, distance, heart rate, steps, plus its an 8G MP3 Player. When you sync with your computer, not only will it tell you your calorie burn, it will break down how many calories you burned per song that you worked out to, so in essence it learns what songs to play as "powersongs". You can set it for 40 different types of workouts that it will monitor individually. You can sync it with your Droid phone, and actually take phone calls, check your twitter and facebook throught it as well. It has a touchscreen. You can get it with bluetooth wireless headphones as well. So far so good, thewy just cut the price from $250 down to $149.99, its worth waaay more in my opinion.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Oh, wait... I thought that said "GSP" and I love that guy! :) Carry on...
  • jsmamadden
    Options
    MOTOACTV $150 or less, works great tracking my runs. The only problem is that you do have to charge it probably every 2-3 days if you leave it on. Also I would not run in the rain with it. It says it is sweat proof and you can run in light rain with it but it doesn't seem that water proof. The sweat is fine. I sweat a lot and have not had problems but I will not take it out in the rain
  • tlheppler
    Options
    I just purchased the Motoactv, made by Motorola. It tracks calories burned, distance, heart rate, steps, plus its an 8G MP3 Player. When you sync with your computer, not only will it tell you your calorie burn, it will break down how many calories you burned per song that you worked out to, so in essence it learns what songs to play as "powersongs". You can set it for 40 different types of workouts that it will monitor individually. You can sync it with your Droid phone, and actually take phone calls, check your twitter and facebook throught it as well. It has a touchscreen. You can get it with bluetooth wireless headphones as well. So far so good, thewy just cut the price from $250 down to $149.99, its worth waaay more in my opinion.

Wow, more investigation necessary, Thanks
  • tlheppler
    Options
    Oh, wait... I thought that said "GSP" and I love that guy! :) Carry on...

GSP is awesome, what watch does he wear???
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    if you want to run, swim and use the bike you might want to check DC Rainmaker's reviews online. His reviews are the best and after reading a lot I did NOT buy a GPS one but a Polar RCX5 with GPS sensor(extra). This watch is nice as a every day watch, has a batterie life of 10-12 months and is absolutely water resistant and has accurate readings all the time. I don't want another one. I had a Garmin Forerunner 305 for 2 weeks and sold it because it is very heavy (you need a sweatband underneath or it turns downwards all the time) and it is huge. Where I am living it took between 3 and 6 minutes for it to find a satellite signal.
    Just google : dcrainmaker reviews
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Wow! Dcrainmaker has some great reviews, better than I could ever say. Thanks for that info. Just a FYI if you are looking to save for the ambit. The software/firmware is always updated and the newest release fixed his few hangups he had about the watch plus added a few features. I really like how it has free updates to keep it current and add new features. He also mentioned difficulty syncing to chest strap while swimming which I have not. Good luck researching! You have a ton of info to sift through!
  • tlheppler
    Options
    Wow! Dcrainmaker has some great reviews, better than I could ever say. Thanks for that info. Just a FYI if you are looking to save for the ambit. The software/firmware is always updated and the newest release fixed his few hangups he had about the watch plus added a few features. I really like how it has free updates to keep it current and add new features. He also mentioned difficulty syncing to chest strap while swimming which I have not. Good luck researching! You have a ton of info to sift through!

Amen to that. dcrainmaker is very comprehensive (thanks so much). I will conyinue reading.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've got a Garmin 405. I paid $100 on clearance for it, then $40 for a HRM strap. Battery life isn't great, but more than enough for a 3 hour bike ride or a week or 2 of runs.
    It does most things I want it to, but it won't work with a power meter.

I'm planning on buying my wife a Forerunner 10. GPS, HRM, downloadable. Doesn't do a foot pod though.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    dcrainmaker is what made me settle on the garmin 310xt. totally forgot about that.
  • fitontherun
    fitontherun Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've had a Garmin Forerunner 405cx for almost a year, and I absolutely love it. It finds satelites pretty quickly. And I love using it for training workouts. I bought it around Christmas for $158 (with the HRM). Though I've seen it as low as $136 (w/o the HRM). I think after Thanksgiving until Christmas is the best time to buy GPS watches. I've found the cheapest prices on Amazon and Heart Rate Monitors USA.
  • AlaskanSnowball
    AlaskanSnowball Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For the watch, I have to connect to my computer to see the calories burned, but it shows on my phone immediately.

If you press and hold the menu button and then go into history, scroll to the run you want and the calories are there.

At least, that's how it works on my Forerunner 110.