ROAD TRIP....VA-CA, help me plan my stops

Options
2»

Replies

• SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    You all have so many great ideas! Anyone know anywhere to stop in the middle of TX, it doesn't need to be super exciting but something to break up the drive a bit where we could probably get a good bite to eat and relax before getting on the road again the next day

San Antonio has a lot of good places...is a good drive from NOLA and the river walk is a nice romantic place. Lots of choices to eat from...Mi Tierra...you'll love the decoration and the food is pretty good.
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If we skip the grand canyon can someone recommend somewhere in south AZ? We want to do the Grand Canyon but that's a bit out of the way b/c we are going to stop at DisneyLand when we get to CA
  • SVCat
    Options
    If we skip the grand canyon can someone recommend somewhere in south AZ? We want to do the Grand Canyon but that's a bit out of the way b/c we are going to stop at DisneyLand when we get to CA

I live in Southern Arizona...what kind of stuff interests you?
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    I figured you must live somewhere in that area since you seem to know the southwest pretty well! Perhaps a museum, or somwhere to walk around a strech our legs. We'll be staying the night there a nice little breakfast cafe would be great...doesn't need to be anything extravagant but somewhere to relax after Calsbad caverns and the 2 days through TX proceeding that.
  • SVCat
    Options
    There is Tombstone, AZ...about 20 minutes off I-10 has a bunch of things to see, if you do your research good enough, you'll be able to see a reenactment of the old Shoot Out at OK Corral. A lot of people love taking the pictures that look like the old tin types...they give you a costume to dressup in...really cool. Bisbee, AZ is a little hippy community, kind of artys little place...lots to see but not really on the Museum side. They have a great bed and breakfast there...it's about one hour from I-10 though.

If you are interested in military history, there is Ft. Huachuca, AZ...about half an hour from I-10. They have a really old school museum...but you'll be done in a couple of hours.

There is Tucson...if you're Catholic, they have the San Xavier Mission...really cool even if you're not Catholic. Also they have a Desert Southwest Animal Museum/Zoo that a lot of people love. Lots of places to eat, but is a larger town/city.

Feel free to PM and ask anything you wish.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    why did it not occur to me that Tombstone is in AZ?! I :heart: Wyatt Earp! We would all love to see an OK corral reenactment!....Great idea! Mapquest has me going right through Tuscan and Phoenix. Perhaps it would be wise to stop in a few of those places you mentioned and stay either in Tuscan or Phoenix :)