Healthy Side Dish Suggestions

Options
It seems like all the GOOD side dishes are rice, potatoes, pasta, etc. All thing I'm trying to avoid! Does anyone have some healthy, tasty side dishes? I LOVE veggies but always run out of ideas what to do with them. Suggestions please!

Replies

• BucsGirl4Life
    BucsGirl4Life Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love steamed veges, so I buy the steamer bags, put a little water in them and add whatever veggies I want. Once they're steamed, I either spray some I can't Believe it's not Butter, or a dash or lemon juice for flavor. The good thing you have going for you is that you LIKE vegetables. I do too! But can't get my husband to eat them to save my life, no matter HOW I cook them. :0)

Another good option if you like asparagus is to saute some in a little olive oil, add a pinch of kosher salt and you've got another great, but flavorful vege!
  • pennyjoef
    pennyjoef Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    We love...
    sauteed mushrooms and spinach
    roasted veggies of any kind (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc.)
    baked carrot fries
    cranberry cilantro quinoa
    baked sweet potato fries

Hope that helps!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I take broccoli, cauliflower, and baby carrots. Chop them up into bit sizes and mix into a large tupperware container. I pour a bit of Zesty Italian dressing on it, shake the container and let the veggies marinade for about 12-24 hours. I keep a big contained full of this salad in the fridge and I just take a bit out for suppers, lunch, snack - whatever. It is actually really tasty. I was never a big veggie fan, but my mom made this for me and my siblings when we were kids and we loved it!

I also boil broccoli, then when it is cooked - i place 1.5 cheese slices into the pot and let that melt. I stir and enjoy...this is also something that is family friendly.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i love any roasted or sauteed vegetables as a side but if you are looking for something warm and comfort food like, check hungry girl, eatingwell, cooking light, etc. the newest cooking light magazine had a recipe for a squash casserole, complete with stuffing and bread crumbs that was a good calorie count. sweet potatoes are also a great idea...either baked or if thats too much for you, dice them, and roast them in the oven with some spices of your choice, they get crispy edges and are delicious-my husband also makes white/red potatoes like this but i always choose the sweet potatoes because they are so good.
  • minuet42
    Options
    Yep, roasted, sauteed anything is my favorite. One thing that helps me is the addition of a little fat - olive oil, butter, coconut oil, bacon drippings, etc...gives things some complexity, changes up the flavor profile, and, as a bonus, I have been hearing A LOT lately about how you need the fat to get the full nutrition out of the veggies...don't know how accurate that is, but it makes me feel better!

Oh, and trying new is good, too - pick up something weird looking, enough for one meal, and try it. You're not out too much if you hate it, and you might find something you love! I recently discovered that I love Brussels sprouts, and there's all kinds of root vegetables coming into markets right now - good vegetable weather!
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    agree on the roasted!!!

Though I've been making cauliflower mashed "potatoes" lately - so easy! I microwave them till tender and pop them in my food processor, add some parmesan and almond or skim milk and boom, good to go! Salt and Pepper to your delight - so good and it makes a ton.

Otherwise there's always sweet potatoes, too,or squash. I do a lot with squash - delicata is delicious! Pairs well with anything!
  • urhere
    urhere Posts: 5
    Options
    I've really backed off on starchy vegetables and grains after reading some nutrition information that suggests they are digested quickly and cause the body to store more fat, which I so.don't.need. (But when I use rice, I like instant brown rice, which has the same nutrition information as regular brown rice but nukes in less than 8 minutes.)

Now I'm concentrating on eating greens (romaine lettuce, baby spinach, baby kale, chard) and brassicas or cruicferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, bok choy) along with colorful, high fiber fruit (apples, berries) along with lean protein like chicken, pork, beef, and even eggs.

I like to roast and steam the veggies. I like to add spices and herbs (LOVE Mrs. Dash blends). I rely on spray and regular canola oil, which can take the heat of cooking without breaking down.

I also like to make soup (and stock) and add lean protein and legumes (beans) which offer more protein and filling fiber.

Especially at this time of year, soup can be a great way to fill up without blowing your daily calorie goals. I like to add a dash of Sriracha sauce to spice up my soups too.
  • wakechick25
    Options
    I love grilled asparagus with lemon, so good! Cauliflower mashed potatoes, spaghetti squash with spaghetti sauce and cheese makes a great side for chicken.
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I thought of some more!!!

beans! I love beans! Cannelini with tomatoes is great together, toss with some fresh basil. Or else you could do pintos with some lime and garlic if you're having mexican, even if you're not!

Lentils are another great rich in fiber and protein addition - I like cooking them in chicken stock and mixing with spinach.

I think cabbage is also undervalued - satueed or roasted cabbage with some olive oil and salt, seriously delicious andso super good for you. Go cruciferous vegetables!
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    Have you tried to make up some quinoia or couscous? Kinda like the starch-y sides, but a better version. You can add some veggies and a light oil dressing and stick them in the fridge as a salad, or serve it hot. I like adding peppers, onions, cucumbers and cajun spice and eating it for lunch cold.
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    my new favorite side dish is cauliflower mac and cheese. it's soooo good!!!

here's the recipe...http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/mac-and-cheese-style-cauliflower/
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I used to eat rice everyday but now am trying to fill my plate with easy to cook veggie side dishes..this is what I've loved so far:

- roasted cauliflower and brussel sprouts
    - spaghetti squash - can use like pasta or side!
    - zucchini blossoms - just discovered these yesterday, so delicate and delish!
    - sauteed spinach - my go to side dish
    - scrambled egg and various veggies - my very lazy side dish

...i've got cauliflower mashed potatoes and some other sides on my list to try!!
  • jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is "veggie confetti"

1 medium zucchini
    1 cup frozen corn
    1 smallish red onion
    1 orange bell pepper

I chop the veggies so that they are about the same size as the corn kernels (so they all cook about the same time). Thaw the corn, saute veggies (I use PAM) to desired doneness. I usually like mine just lightly cooked, not mushy. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic powder (or add fresh garlic while sauteing).

I made this after having something similar at Bravo italian restaurant. They served it with cod and a roasted red pepper sauce.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Asparagus with homemade hollandaise sauce.
    Black beans with onions and peppers.
    Green beans cooked in a little olive oil with roasted almonds
  • future_rockstar
    future_rockstar Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Kale salad

1 bunch kale
    1 avocado
    juice of 1 lemon
    2T olive oil

Rip the stems off the kale and tear into bite sized pieces. Add other 3 ingredients and mash it all together with your hands. Garlic salt to taste--I'd say a teaspoon is a good starting point.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I love baked/ broiled veggies. Green beans, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower are my favorite. Tomorrow for part of my lunch (instead of having some chips or rice cakes) I'm making baked green bean fries...just lightly coat with olive oil (or Pam spray) and seasonings, then bake at 425 for 8-10 minutes. They're amazing!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower Mashed "potatoes"

I made these things the other night http://www.anediblemosaic.com/?p=10576 with some slight variations
  • thomasxaviersayles
    Options
    If you can get brussel sprouts or asparagus here is a recipe:
    clean and quarter brussel sprouts
    with a very small amount of butter in a non stick skillet, brown them on all sides
    add salt and pepper to taste,
    add a fresh squeezed lemon at least half of one depending on quantity cooked
    in the last minute of cooking, add crushed garlic, if you use slivered garlic it will have different taste
    when served you made add a bit more fresh lemon juice and then shave or grate parmesan cheese over top.
    The sprouts will have a nutty flavor and will be delicious, make sure it is served either warm or hot.

This also works with asparagus.