lost TOO much weight??

Options
Greetings,

Thanks to MFP, FitBit, and my friends here, I have lost 34 pounds (yay!), lowered my BMI, lowered my blood pressure, and reached my first weight goal (210) pounds. I am currently at 205 pounds and have my sights set on 180 as my final weight.. My wife is suggesting that 180 is too low for me; that I would be too skinny.

As a compromise ("happy wife...happy life"), I have offered to have my body fat calculated once I reach 195 pounds. However, I don't now what my % body fat should be OR where to get this procedure performed.

I am 45 years old, 5'11", large frame (shoulders, etc.).

Thanks,
Richard

Replies

• triceever
    Options
    Great news! Keep up the good work.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising and in good shape during performance of those exercises then there is no such thing as too skinny. Anyways it's not really hard to fatten up if you reach your goal and you or her decided that you were too skinny.

The test itself can be done a couple of different ways. This link might help with the range.

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I see where you're coming from, I set myselve a goal to lose 4 1/2 stone and now 2 1/2 down I'm still trucking. However, family and friends are saying that if I was to get anywhere near the 160lbs mark it would just look wrong. Like you i've got a large frame and with only being a shorty at 5"8 it might be more noticable.

I'm only 24 but I set this goal and I want to see how I'd look at that wait, however I think you're very wise to keep the wife happy lol
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising and in good shape during performance of those exercises then there is no such thing as too skinny.

Umm, yes there is, body fat can be unhealthily low regardless of exercise. I'm not saying that the OP is in danger of this, but the "there is no such thing as too skinny" attitude *is* dangerous.
  • AnasLittleAngel
    Options
    Too skinny? There isn't such a thing!! :c
    Happy life, Happy wife... Yeah yeah, I suppose. Go talk to your doctor. They'll let you know. I'm trying to lose 37 lbs... but it's impossible. -Sigh-
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    In my area at least, local hospitals/clinics can perform body fat testing for about $40, you might try using google to see if the same is true in your area. In addition to performing the test, they can provide guidance on what constitutes healthy body fat percentages.

There are methods of measuring body fat percentages with calipers that are often used by personal trainers, but they aren't terribly accurate. There are also scales and handheld meters that purport to measure body fat, but they are even less accurate. You want some sort of displacement technique, such as the "bodpod" or other laboratory test.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I think reevaluating when you get closer to your goal is a good plan. I thought I wanted to get down to 110. I got to 120 and my collar bones got downright creepy. Now I'm aiming for 115 but a different composition (build some muscle overall and get rid of some fat in the midsection). Adjust as you go and figure out what works for you and your wife.

ETA: Not sure about other people but my experience is that doctors will tell you your weight is fine even if it's a little high. I was 5'2" and about 140 when I saw my dr and my weight (and the fact that looking in my chart would show I had been gaining year over year) got zero mention. Figure out what works for you as you go...you might change your expectations or get confirmation that you really do want to end up at 180. And I do agree mostly with the "happy wife, happy life" thing as long as you're not making yourself unhappy in the process. I mean...it is still important for her to be attracted to you so you gotta take that into consideration.
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Get it measured by somewhere that does the Bod Pod. It is the most accurate and they will print on a few sheets of information about where you are, should be, etc. It will also tell you how many calories to eat to maintain that weight, how much you body naturally burns if you were to lay in bed all day, etc.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You could bulk too. Put on a good amount of muscle - that will avoid the "too skinny" thing and muscle is good for you! :)
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is probably a good place to start this discussion????
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising and in good shape during performance of those exercises then there is no such thing as too skinny.

Umm, yes there is, body fat can be unhealthily low regardless of exercise. I'm not saying that the OP is in danger of this, but the "there is no such thing as too skinny" attitude *is* dangerous.

Based on the OP post not to say he is incapable but doesn't seem like the type who would reach this extreme "dangerous" point you are speaking off, hence the addition of "good shape" . If you are in the dangerous body fat % you can't perform exercises well, since your glycemic storage would most likely be depleted most of the time.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    You could bulk too. Put on a good amount of muscle - that will avoid the "too skinny" thing and muscle is good for you! :)
    THIS.

Work on improving your strength and don't worry about getting to 180.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, figure out what your body fat it. It's really harder to determine a good goal without it as you dont know how much lean body mass you have.

I am 5'11, 30 years old and 12% (as of 90 days ago) and i found that I shouldn't go below 187 (at 6% body fat) otherwise i will start to lose lean body mass. I initially wanted to be 175 lb again but after some research I found it would be unwise. Below is a good thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/684493-how-to-determine-weight-goal?hl=how+to:+determine&page=1
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Too skinny? There isn't such a thing!! :c

tumblr_mc8mlycxHi1r95514.gif
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I would say go see a dietician or a doctor to find out what your perfect weight would be.
    Or just lose a bit more weight at a time and see where you look and feel like you're at the right weight.