Bridal shower healthier food ideas

Options
I'm hosing a bridal shower this Saturday and I have a handful of menu ideas, which will be mostly appetizers, finger foods, and a bit of a mexican flair (a friend's making tamales, we'll have mini tacos and chips/salsa, etc), but I'm trying to think of some healthier foods to make also. I'll have a veggie tray, but that's about all I've got going on for healthy food.

Any time I bring something like a giant salad or something super healthy to a potluck, I'm the only one that eats it, so I'm looking for something that's a healthier option and a crowd pleaser.

Anything that's relatively inexpensive and super easy or that can be made ahead of time is a definite plus!

Any suggestions or recipes?

Replies

• beaglelover12
    Options
    My bridesmaids recently threw me a bridal shower and they had the most delicious homemade hummus with the veggies. I don't know the recipe, but hummus is a good crowd pleaser. They also had mini cucumber sandwiches and a pumpkin dip. Also, if you're having a mexican themed party - fish and shrimp are both very healthy. You could have shrimp and/or fish tacos with corn tortilla shells. Sorry I'm not more help recipe wise, but I'm sure you could google healthy recipes for those things. Good luck!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    do some fruit! its delicious and easy.

also, look into pinterest or some websites like eatingwell.com the hummus idea is a great one too.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Love the hummus idea! will go great with the veggie platter I already wanted to make and will hopefully get people to eat more veggies ;)
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Mini chicken and pineapple skewers (chicken breast grilled and fresh pineapple) devilled eggs (light mayo), mini fruit kebabs.....
  • kristilovescake
    Options
    Forward this link to your bridesmaids/maid of honour or whomever is organizing it.

http://www.wellsphere.com/healthy-eating-article/mexican-bridal-shower/760466

OMG I wish I would have found this months ago! I'm the MOH doing the organizing ;) we aren't doing a full on mexican theme, but now I wish I was!

thanks for the link, there are some photos that will give me more ideas (like a cold pasta salad! I can throw veggies in one of those and use whole wheat noodles)
  • nunat919
    nunat919 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love guacamole. It's delicious!!
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    look at some of your typical crown pleasers and see how you can change the recipe to use lower fat/calorie foods....when you are mixing many things together in dip or something you cant really taste the difference between light and full fat. Fruit tray/kabobs is a great idea as well. i know you said it wasn't completely a mexican theme, but chicken tortilla soup (tortilla strips, cheese, etc can be optional on the side) is delicious and low calorie (this coming from someone who never thought id like something with tomatoes in it). Also if you are doing any finger foods like the little smokies, meatballs, etc...use the turkey ones and a lower calorie bbq sauce..again made like that there isnt really a taste difference but there is a huge fat/calorie difference.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Hummus is really easy to make yourself - can of garbanzo beans, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt & pepper to taste. Everything into the food processor or blender and puree. You can also add peppers, herbs, spices, to add additional flavor.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Substitute plain, nonfat greek yogurt for sour cream to make dips or with your mexican items - you can't taste the difference.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Safeway makes a Greek seasoned frozen chicken skewer. It is white meat with yummy seasonings, very flavorful. I take them off the skewers, brown them, then serve them with a cool plain Greek yogurt-cucumber dip. Probably 15-20 calories each (if that), dipped.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    When I did my sisters shower a couple years ago I made a roasted eggplant dip and hummus with pita, a couple kinds of open faced finger sandwiches (I think one was tuna/cucumber and one was veg), tomato mozz basil bites, mixed nuts, some fresh fruit and sangria. If you want more than just finger food and can do plates and forks I would do a big plate of various roasted vegetables dressed simply with oil and viegar and a few herbs. You can add crackers or bread and some salami or other kind of meat to the platter.
    Good luck, I hope it's a great party!
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    You should check out pinterest - they are a great resource for entertaining ideas, especially healthy ones.

I would say, too, if you do the hummus - one of my favorite dishes recently is roasted veggies (peppers, carrots, onions) that accompanied the homemade hummus, it was seriously delicious!!!

What about buffalo cauliflower??? I've seen that going around, too.
  • kristilovescake
    Options
    love all the great ideas! Thanks!!