Reached a Plateau- Any suggestions?

Options
Hi all,

I started on MFP about a month and a half a go. I've lost 15 pounds so far, but I've seemed to hit a plateau. I know your body slows down after an initial weight loss, but I'm frustrated with the stall. Any suggestions on how to get over this hump?

Replies

• NickLavato
    Options
    Mix it up. Your body gets used to repetition. Try eating different things, and try doing a different types of workout. Good Luck! :)
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Wow Excellent work! Are you still eating the same? Need more calories? Started Weight lifting?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I started on MFP about a month and a half a go. I've lost 15 pounds so far, but I've seemed to hit a plateau. I know your body slows down after an initial weight loss, but I'm frustrated with the stall. Any suggestions on how to get over this hump?

3 weeks with no measurement changes, weight and about 9 measurements over the body, is a stall.

And yes, 3-5 lbs is water weight initially.

Your body doesn't have to slow down the metabolism if you aren't so aggressive with the weight loss.
    Slower is better, by choice of smaller deficit, not because you are trying to do a big one and body slows down.

So at least you have a higher goal for eating - now hit it. That's a goal, lower limit, not upper limit. Better to go over 50 not under by 100-500.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    1.5 months on MFP, 15lbs lost

You haven't plateaued, you just lack patience
  • adelitas_star
    Options
    Start weight lifting and trying 100 more calories. Do this for a couple of weeks, and if you don't see a change, up the calories another 100, and so forth, until the inches start to change. Don't care so much about what the scale says.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

• Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    What really helped me break plateaus was when I switched from a carb heavy standard American diet with processed foods, to a more natural "real food" diet than put the emphasis on protein and good dietary fats and decreased carbs.

I didn't intentionally go on a "low carb" plan, but once I realized that I was eating a ton of processed foods that contained sugars and unhealthy stuff and decided to eat real foods (for the most part) plateaus broke and I lost all the weight I needed to easily.

As a result of going into "real foods" eating my carbs are all from vegetables (rather than crackers, breads, cerals, oatmeal, ice cream, etc) so they stay below 100 grams a day. My energy comes from goods fats.

Best of Luck!
  • CalWalker
    Options
    maybe start maintaining for a week and then get back on track. thats what worked for me.
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have just overcome a plateau of about a month. It's very frustrating, but I ate more protein and a little more cals and didn't weigh myself for a full week. ended up dropping 3.8 lbs this past week. I was also doing 30DS at this time and finished that on Friday, I'm not sure if water weight from the program had anything to do with it.. but Good luck!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

QFT
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Totally agree. People are lucky to lose one pound a week. I lost three pounds in a month and I felt good about that. You need to just be patient with your body. Not all of the results are going to be overnight.
  • Sonyakrueger8
    Options
    WOW 15lbs in a month that is something to be proud of! I have reached a few plateaus in my weightloss journey. I would recommend eatings some metabolism booster like broccoli, turkey etc. Also up your cals for a week and see what happens.

But keep on doin what you are doing. You are progressing and that is what is important it will come!

Congrats and be proud of yourself!

Sonya