Does it ever change?

Options
So far I've lost 23 pounds. I need to lose about 30 more to at a healthy weight for my height. But neither I nor anyone else has really noticed any changes. I haven't noticed any changes at all in my body size and only 1 or 2 people have noticed anything. My midsection looks just as big and flabby to me as when I started. My clothes don't fit a whole lot differently either. Did I lose the weight out of my toes? Because it sure doesn't look like I lost it anywhere else. I do cardio and weights, so I'm not sure what else to do. I can't do anything with impact because I have arthritis in my hips. I'm very self conscious about being bigger because I was so skinny growing up and I'm getting extremely frustrated. I don't have any real close friends to go through this with so I'm really glad there's a site like this to help out. So my questions are: when did you all notice changes? When did people around you start noticing? Will I ever look toned? Thanks for letting me vent, I'm feeling kind of down today. :(

Replies

• treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hello! For me, people started noticing when I had lost about 30 lbs. I know what you are going through, and I was frustrated and about where you were at. You'll get there. In the meantime, as long as you feel good about yourself and what you are doing is all that matters.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    The secret to success with exercise is to really push it. As Jillian Michaels says, some of us "phone in" our hour at the gym, and I was certainly doing that - just enough to make me sweat, but not enough to make me progress. Work out as hard as you can, and push for "just one more".

Yes, keep at it, and the results will come.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I sure don't notice anything when I look in the mirror but I notice a huge difference if I put my pictures side by side. Do you have any "before" pics and some new recent pics to compare?

I've lost 25 lbs and most people don't notice....not even good friends that I've known for 20 years. You know what you've done. Be patient...

Keep at it...you'll get there. 23 lbs is wonderful....congrats! You deserve to give yourself a pat on the back. :-)
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Picture, pictures, pictures!! You don't notice bc you look at yourself everyday. Great work so far on yo:happy: ur 23 pounds!!
  • RosaC773
    RosaC773 Posts: 126
    Options
    I didn't notice a change until I started taking measurements. The scale was not moving at all, but the measuring tape really helped me see that my body is changing. Take pictures of yourself, before and after - that helps a whole lot.

Let me tell you, my stomach is the hardest thing to lose. So make sure you measure your arms, thighs, hips - not just your waist.

Honestly, who cares what anyone else thinks! Just worry about yourself and your own personal goals.

Don't worry, keep doing what you are doing. I the long run, it will pay off!
  • UnicornJan
    UnicornJan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic achievement, that's a lot of poundage. Have you taken photos of you at the start? Have you measured yourself? If not do it now. Write those measurements down and check them every now and then. If you have photos of you at the start, take some of you now and make a comparison. It may be only small to you but to your body it's a magnificent step in the right direction.
    Your heart and lungs are already feeling the benefit from this great loss and if your muscles are getting firmer then they are working more efficiently.
    Don't give up, this is just a blip, we are all different and our journeys take different paths. I saw a difference at about 16lbs but I only have another 14lbs to go. Try not to think about it too much, your doing really well and your going to feel fantastic as the pounds continue to slip off. When you look in the mirror try to focus on how far you have come and not just on the outside, your insides are really reaping the rewards of this new you.
    Well done. :)
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice until -41 lbs in to my journey....someone put a recent pic up of me on facebook and i decided to put it next to one from when I began my journey....I then realized, wow, you never had a neck before! This is what you need to do! For everyone, they notice changes differently. It may take another 10 lbs then all of a sudden you are 2 pants sizes smaller! Hang in there!
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Vent all you want, we are here for that. : )

Please don't give up. I've heard that usually, people start to notice at 30 pounds. I'm in the same place as you... I don't really notice any change on the outside, but I feel it a lot from the inside. I sleep better at night, I have more energy, I'm less cranky, and my self-esteem is better because I know I'm doing something about it. My ideas are clearer and I'm motivated. I believe that this makes me look better, too.

Keep on trucking and take care, my dear. xx
  • klkutz1405
    klkutz1405 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I will definitely take some pictures and see if I notice a difference that way. Thank you all so much for the kind replies, I really appreciate them! :)
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm in almost the exact same boat as you, 21lbs down, 30 more to go. I am noticing differences, but I have a belly and my pants still fit around my waist, but they're definitely loose in the legs. Hang in there! You're doing terrific, almost half way there!
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You're probably wearing the same clothes you always wore before. It's harder to notice your weight loss when you're wearing the same clothes. My wife lost 20 lbs and hardly anyone said a word until she showed up in a new outfit that fit properly and then the compliments started rolling in. The scale doesn't lie. If it says you lost 30 lbs, then you do look different. 30 lbs is nothing to sneeze at.
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You're healthier for losing the weight. Where did the fat come from? Hopefully the important places like fat around the organs. Have you seen what fat on an organ looks like? It is the fat there that is important to lose not vanity fat. Just think you probably now have drop dead gorgeous organs.