Thinking about a heart rate monitor...

Options
Any suggestions on a brand? I don't want to break the bank but I'm sure the monitor would be more accurate than what MFP is telling me for my workouts...

Replies

• Rachiescurtis
    Rachiescurtis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love mine! I use it everyday. Totally worth the money in my opinion. If you get a decent one (mine is a Polar), they last a long time. I've had mine about 5 years so far. Good luck!
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I just purchased my first, a Timex Ironman Road somethingsomething. Did a fair amount of research. It cost under $70. Uses a chest strap, which takes a little getting used to. But I like it a lot.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 and LOVE IT! They also have the Polar FT4 which is the least expensive model, but still comes with chest strap for accuracy. I have seen the Polar FT4 sell for as little as $50-60 online auctions, they are like $80 in stores.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I love it. I'm really glad I bought it. I found it online for $60 including shipping. Well worth the money!
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar RS200....I don't think they sell that version anymore, and the 300 is a hundred fifty or so....but I love it. It's lasted years. The battery is about to die, but it's an easy enough replacement. I had to get a new chest strap at one point, but even though it's a newer strap still works with the watch. Great investment.
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I rewarded myself with a Polar FT4 after I lost a certain amount of weight and wanted to more accurately know what I was burning. It was the best $60 I have spent! I got my at heartratemonitorsUSA, free shipping I believe. Nothing like being able to look down at your wrist to know if you are doing what your doing hard enough and just how many calories you are burning. I would highly recommend one.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Another Polar FT4 user here. You definitely need one with a chest strap and beware that the Timex ones tend to over estimate for women even if they are cheaper it isn't worth it.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of posts here about who thinks which is the best HRM monitor, it all depends on what you want to spend as well as what you need it to do. Garmin's are awesome but tell me more than what I need to know (some have GPS, others tells you miles but my boyfriend has one so we use his when we go running for that), I have a Polar FT4 and I love it, I got it on amazon for under 70 bucks (including shipping) I also have a Timex IronMan which is great but the watch doesn't fit my wrist as well as the Polar does. Both of them have chest straps, I didn't have any issue getting used to them at all
  • raetime80
    raetime80 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your suggestions! I definitely want one with a chest strap and I from what I've gathered, the Polar is probably the best way to go. Thanks again!!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Garmin Edge 500. Not cheap but bear in mind, you get what you pay for.
  • jeannate52
    jeannate52 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Polar ft4 my electronic personal trainer. It's great.
  • gottaluvya
    Options
    Hubby and I both have the Polar FT7. Mine is fine but Hubby's is just not cooperating. even after changing the batteries, it still won't work. I told him I think he sweats too much LOL. (then again it did not work right for me either...maybe it was just a bad one.). Anyway... I do like mine a lot. The chest strap is comfortable and the HRM itself seems to work just fine.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar (can't remember right now if it's the FT4 or FT7) and I LOVE it! It's really great to know what I'm burning, and yes, much more accurate than what you find on MFP. For one, it takes your gender, age, height and weight into the calculations.

About the chest strap, my hubby asked me if it was uncomfortable to wear that, since it would "drive (him) nuts to have that on". I told him that women are used to having a strap around our chest. lol
  • cowgirlcookie
    Options
    I have the Timex T5G941 and I use it everyday. It has a recall of my prior days workouts and the strap is comfortable. You can set your own high and low heart rate indicators. It was less than $40 on Amazon and I have had it for over a year. I had a New Balance brand for my first one and I like this much better. Hope that helps.