Spin Class - what to expect?

Options
Over the past few weeks I've gotten friendly with one of the instructors at the gym, turns out she's looking to bulk up the numbers of her spin class. I'm one of those people who tries everything once so I thought, why not?

Just wondering, what is there to expect, other then sitting on a bike pedaling?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Standing on a bike pedalling.

If it's a poor instructor, expect them be late, unsupportive of new members and giving little instruction of set up, music too loud so you can't hear instructions.

Make sure you don't put up with any crap and insist on being given high quality instruction and service.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    It's a free class, which is one of the reasons why I'm going, but the trainer herself wants new members so I'm sure she's not going to be rude- she's pleasant person anyway!

The loud music I already knew :P
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    I am an instructor. You should expect alot more than just sitting on a bike and pedeling. To begin with take plenty of water (2 bottles) and a towel. The instructor should help you set u the bike to make sure it is properly adjusted for your height. Just to let you know your butt might be sore after the first few times. Ask to use a gel seat. Most gyms have loaners on hand and it will help to relieve your bottom. Remember resistance is your friend and not using enough could cause a knee injury. When srinting you do not want to be bouncing in the seat. You should expect to learn different moves such as Jumps, sprints (seated and standing,) push backs and climbing. If you can not do all of the moves don't feel bad of give up. Just sit and pedel. As long as you are moving that is what matters. The music should be motivating and the instructor should help you modify the moves if you can not perform up to the level of the class. I always try to put my new people by me so I can easily tell them what they can do to make it easier for them. Before you get off the bike make sure your heart rate is settled otherwise you could fall out because spinning is a high energy aerobic activity. Make sure your legs a properly streched after the class most instructors will lead you throgh a series of stretches at the end of class.
  • frando
    Options
    I am an instructor. You should expect alot more than just sitting on a bike and pedeling. To begin with take plenty of water (2 bottles) and a towel. The instructor should help you set u the bike to make sure it is properly adjusted for your height. Just to let you know your butt might be sore after the first few times. Ask to use a gel seat. Most gyms have loaners on hand and it will help to relieve your bottom. Remember resistance is your friend and not using enough could cause a knee injury. When srinting you do not want to be bouncing in the seat. You should expect to learn different moves such as Jumps, sprints (seated and standing,) push backs and climbing. If you can not do all of the moves don't feel bad of give up. Just sit and pedel. As long as you are moving that is what matters. The music should be motivating and the instructor should help you modify the moves if you can not perform up to the level of the class. I always try to put my new people by me so I can easily tell them what they can do to make it easier for them. Before you get off the bike make sure your heart rate is settled otherwise you could fall out because spinning is a high energy aerobic activity. Make sure your legs a properly streched after the class most instructors will lead you throgh a series of stretches at the end of class.

that's really useful!

I'm planning on going after I've done my normal gym session, so bottled and towel ready!

I didn't know that there was so many things you could do on a bike! She did go through re-positioning of the bike parts when I was in last, it did take a while and she's found a spare gel seat for me.

Not so worried now!
  • robyng1986
    robyng1986 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Expect utter joy after completing a fast paced, sometimes (most times) physically demanding class! Clearly I love spin class. :happy: :bigsmile:
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    be prepared to sweat your @ss off for one... you'll literally be dripping with sweat if you adhere to the actual prescribed workout. don't let that scare you though - it's all at your own intensity and you don't have to go as hard as everyone else if you're not feeling it.

don't be one of those people who bounce in the saddle with no resistance though - resistance is your friend, and you should go hard - you can always take a little bit off if it gets too much, but spin classes are great because you can REALLY push yourself without having to worry about traffic or balance on the bike. don't just sit there and spin your legs - that's absolutely pointless and does nothing for you - you need the resistance so crank it up and have fun!

when you stand, tighten your abs and push your butt back so that it's almost over the saddle - don't stand straight up and bounce vertical... all the movement and pushing comes from your legs... if you see your head bobbing up and down in a mirror, you should try to correct yourself - tighten your abs, keep your body still and your hips over the saddle and power through the strokes thinking "perfect circles" to engage all the muscles in your legs.

if you love it, invest in some cycling shorts with a chamois and some cleats so you can clip in and really use the whole leg with your pedal strokes.
  • frando
    Options
    so much information! Really looking forward to it!

Hopefully, it'll work well I do need a bit of a change for my cardio work :3
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love spin. It is the only cardio that I actually enjoy. You will sweat a lot and your butt will hurt the next day...like a lot. I think I have a pretty cushion-y butt and it hurts me...even if I don't go for a couple of weeks and go back to it. I agree with all of this. Bring a towel and lots of water. Make sure the instructor helps you set up your bike. Good luck, hope you like it! :)
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Your butt is going to HURT, bring a pad/towel/pain killers

Listen to the instructor, pay attention to the turns for resistance. You don't want to slack off.

Biggest point ever:

KEEP YOUR KNEES TUCKED IN!!!! Don't let them flare out, or you're gonna HURT. Not sore... HURTING.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    First thing... this isn't something you can do just once. You have to give it a while, because your bum is going to be on FIRE - but once you get used to it, it's awesome!

In fact, you should always give everything at least 3 times before you decide it's not for you. :)

All that said... like everything in life, you get out what you put in. I sweat my *kitten* off and get a killer workout - love it & take it twice a week.

Have fun!
  • LuccyH
    LuccyH Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Sweat, sweat and again sweat but is the best class ever, looots of fun, great music an people. And the day after you will feel pain and pain. :wink:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've never taken a spin class and probably won't because no matter how I adjust the seat on those stationary bikes, my lower back and hips ALWAYS hurt too much to stay there. That being said, I would expect to be exhausted and probably have a heart attack before it's over. Good luck!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've been Spinning since April and I LOVE it!
    It's helped me lose 16 pounds and my legs have never looked better, according to the hubs.

Expect to SWEAT! And feel like kicking *kitten* and taking names after you get off the bike.

Most of all ENJOY! :happy:
  • Thelma6658
    Options
    I
  • Thelma6658
    Options
    I love spin class. I spin at least 4 days a week. It is hard but what a workout!! I have invested in shoes with cleats and the very important "gel" seat. All the instructors i have had are great and encourage you all along your ride!! I hope you love it because it is a calorie burner and as others have said "resistance is your friend"
    Good luck
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Spin is Awesome. A lot of great advice here, so I won't try to add to it.

But, come back and post your experience!!

I go twice on Monday and Wednesday, once on Friday. 0530am and 5:30pm. I have one more class to go for today.
  • HMY1
    HMY1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Agree agree agree with all the POSITIVE comments!!! It's such a buzz, you will be on such a high afterwards and won't be able to wait until your next class! It might take you 3-5 sessions to really get the hang of it but no one will laugh or stare if you choose to just sit and pedal if you are a bit confused or uncoordinated at first. I was a HUGE spin addict, 5x a week up until I had my knee reconstruction, I spent 2 years at Spin classes going hard-out and it paid off dividends for getting myself up and going again after surgery - I was back at Spin 5 weeks post-surgery (I had a hamstring graft and wasn't limping or swollen prior to surgery so I had it fairly easy considering I had snapped the ACL). I went back for about six months after surgery but now have found Boot Camp and have started running!

All this talk about Spin classes has got me itching to get back now... it's really addictive esp if you have a highly motivated instructor and awesome dance/rave music!
  • HMY1
    HMY1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Standing on a bike pedalling.

If it's a poor instructor, expect them be late, unsupportive of new members and giving little instruction of set up, music too loud so you can't hear instructions.

Make sure you don't put up with any crap and insist on being given high quality instruction and service.

Sounds like you had a bad experience - I've never come across this, all the classes I have attended have been well run and with fantastic instructors - and I go to different gyms when I am out of town so I can hand-on-heart say this is a red herring. Go and have another go elsewhere, or with a different instructor! It's sooooooooooo worth it!
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything bbriscoe13 said!

When I did it, I loved it. It took me 3 classes to really get into it. Your butt does hurt (you kinda get used to it though) and a towel and full water bottle is essential. Arrive early so you can get the instructor to help you set up your bike so you don't put pressure on the wrong parts of your body. And remember your settings so that you can do it yourself every time you come in. Work at your own pace! Most good instructors will say something like "turn up the resistance until you feel like you're pedaling thru mud!" which is very good, cuz everyone is different right. Not everyone will enjoy turning up the resistance to "level 7", you know? And no matter how tired you are, always keep a resistance where you have to push a little bit to keep those legs moving. When you have no resistance on, it can be bad for your knees.

I would really recommend spin classes and would still be taking them if my new gym didn't charge for them.

Good luck :D
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love spinning. You can expect to sweat a lot and also spend an hour doing some really great exercises that will get your heart rate up and burning those calories (and making your heart healthy). I love love love spinning. It's the best cardio out there. Make sure you stretch at the end!!!