Finding jicama

Options
I want to make jicama chili sticks like I had when I lived in Mexico, but I can't seem to find them.

Anyone in the DC/VA/MD area have any luck? I could probably find a latino market in DC...just wondering if anyone has seen them around for sure.

Replies

• MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Good luck! If I can find them here in MT, you should be able to get ahold of them there. :)
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    I want to make jicama chili sticks like I had when I lived in Mexico, but I can't seem to find them.

Anyone in the DC/VA/MD area have any luck? I could probably find a latino market in DC...just wondering if anyone has seen them around for sure.

how do you make the jicama chili sticks?
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    try a natural food store like a retail food coop or a Whole Foods, I can always find jicama in Minnesota, but I pretty much only shop at natural food stores
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    Success! I found jicama at Harris Teeter :-) Hopefully there's something nearby my new apartment too!

To make jicama chili sticks, you cut the jicama into little sticks (sort of like french fry size) and then sprinkel lime juice on them. And then chili powder. Yum :-) You can sprinkle some salt on too, but the lime and chili is traditional. In Mexico, that's how most fruit is sold on the streets and it's fantastic.