Being Lactose Intolerant stinks!

Options
I have been Lactose Intolerant since I was an infant and still suffer with it today. I used to be able to handle butter but even that has brought on problems. Seems like I can't get away from the dairy products. It's in most everything. I'm just so tired of feeling the way I do when I don't realize something has dairy in it. Anyone else have Lactose intolerance here? What has helped you stay away from dairy or to just deal with the symptoms better?

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I use to be but after losing 50lbs I seem to have lost my intolerance... it's weird but I can eat diary again just fine. Still very confused by it.
  • ricknlauraplus8
    Options
    I use to be but after losing 50lbs I seem to have lost my intolerance... it's weird but I can eat diary again just fine. Still very confused by it.

That's great! I wonder if that's common. Hope that happens to me!
  • ksyp92
    ksyp92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    have you tried the pills you take before you eat dairy... im not positive that im lactose intolerant but im like 90 percent sure i am and i tried them for the first time yesterday before eating cheese.. i didnt experience the usual pain just some bloating. its worth a try!
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Do you have the same problem with goat milk/cheese? Some people can tolerate it better than cow.
    Also, have you tried Ghee or clarified butter. The proteins are removed and can sometimes be tolerated by lactose intolerant people.
    And yogurt because of the digestives in it are sometimes okay.

You are right that many many processed food have milk solids in them. So taking Lactase (the pills) or buying the lactose removed milk can help.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I had serious lactose intolerant problems over the past couple of years to the point where even a little bit of shredded cheese would make me very sick.

Then I read this article about how a lot of people who get sick from dairy aren't really getting sick from the dairy but from the other "stuff" that ends up in our dairy (growth hormones, antibiotics, etc). So I spent about a month switching out my meats and the little dairy I was having to all organic. I started adding in organic skim milk a little bit each day and found not only did my body tolerate it, but I started losing weight faster than I had been. I only eat organic meat now when it's on sale, but I am careful to only drink organic milk. I also buy the organic cheeses when I can, though my store has a very small selection so sometimes my cheese is not organic. It's more expensive, but now I have no lactose reactions to dairy and I haven't been sick in a long time. Eight months maybe?

Not that this would work for everyone, but it might be something to consider.
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    Yes, it does stink. :) I only discovered that I was lactose intolerant last year, though reflecting back it was probably building for a while. I pretty much either stay away from all dairy - including butter, although I can tolerate margarine, which has very little real dairy in it - or else take a lactaid (generic) pill before eating dairy. I seem to manage the best if I only take a lactaid 2-3 times per week; if I get all bold trying to take it and eat dairy every day, it does seem to have a cumulative effect that even the lactaid can't help after a while.
  • hdlb111
    hdlb111 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can't have any dairy, and neither can 2 of my 3 kids, and the 3rd has to limit how much she eats. My little guy who is the most severe has never had a bite of icecream or a chocolate bar. On Halloween we have to trade him all his deliecious chocolate and give him suckers/skittles/gummy candies etc. Thankfully he doesn't know any differently and it doesn't really bother him.

We're not lactose intolerant (pills won't help) but intolerant to the actual milk protein. So no butter, yogurt, icecream, milk, or foods that contain dairy.

We've been dealing with it so long that its second nature now. We know what has milk and what doesn't, and since we buy almost nothing premade/packaged/processed its not a big deal anyway. Any new product we buy has to be checked anyway, beause we are also a tree nut, peanut, soy free house, and I have Celiacs.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My husband started taking probiotics and his life has changed.... well his lactose intolerant life anyway.
    He no longer suffers with pains, sweats etc. He still takes the dairy tablet before eating cheese or butter.
    He swears by probiotics and tells everyone about them.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    my reaction to dairy is so adversive that the thought of eating ice-cream scares me. I don't have cravings for it, I don't care what I'm missing out on. There is enough yummy goodness in this world, I don't have to stare at my fiance while he eats ice-cream, i'll just go get my own. there isn't anything that isn't substituted.
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to the proteins in cows milk (goats milk is fine). I still eat cows milk from time to time but usually regret it instantly. My stomach wants to get rid of it by any means possible and I bloat for days. Not worth the pain really
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was lactose intollerant for about 7 years. Starting in my first year of university drinking milk or eating dairy would put me in the fetal position from abdominal pain. I got by with lactose free milk and taking lactaide pills. I didn't like it very much but I got to have my dairy. When I got pregnant my intollerance went away. With the first two babies the intollerance came right back after I finished nursing. With the third one it has not come back at all. I'm still careful not to eat too much dairy in one sitting though.
  • afoz1990
    afoz1990 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've been lactose intolerant since I was born, I take the lactaid pills if I eat dairy or I am eating out and I'm unsure if there is dairy product in it because of how bad I get after. Strange thing I can only take/drink the Lactaid brand pills or milk, generic doesn't work for me. But they have helped since I was little! So maybe they will help you!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I find this helpful. http://www.stevecarper.com/li/list_of_lactose_percentages.htm I've been lactose intolerant for most of my adult life but find I can handle most low fat yogurts, butter and a small amount of cheese. Scarey thing is I can have a Frosty at Wendy's with no problem. Kind of wonder what's really in there!
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    BritneysStuntDouble Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Being Lactose Intolerant stinks!
    Some days more than others! :frown: :embarassed: :blushing:

1244628962_thermal-camera-fart.gif
  • daggs95
    daggs95 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am, can't eat ice cream, cream cheese, most yogurts, cottage cheese or drink milk. Only when I was pregnant I could eat all of these. Can eat hard cheeses, organic yogurt, sour cream. I also find if I eat a bit of fennel, I can digest more dairy. Gave up the milk so long ago I am use to almond milk now. I never was into butter so only have that in macncheese from the box. Every now and then i get lucky, but it seems that its when it comes from wholefoods or is just a natural product.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I was never diagnosed as lacatose intolerant but dairy items seem to bother my stomach. As I got older I was diagnosed with B12 deficiency and every since I started taking the B12 vitamins I noticed I don't seem to have stomach isuess any more. I take 1000 miligrams a day
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Try dairy substitutes. Almond milk is delicious without the problems associated with cow milk. I also enjoy rice milk and will be trying coconut milk soon., which my mom says is delicious. I do not do soy milk due to allergies to soy.