My TDEE is 2050 calories.....

Options
2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Grrr...can't figure out how to change my calories goal.

My Home > Goals> change goals. Then select custom.
  • adelitas_star
    Options

It's not letting me change the calories though O_o;
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Might be an MFP problem. I just got a message saying site down for maintenance, try again in a few minutes.
  • adelitas_star
    Options

Might be an MFP problem. I just got a message saying site down for maintenance, try again in a few minutes.

No the goal page is loading, I just can't figure out. Do I change the net calories consumed? When I do that, it say I'm only going to have a deficit of 110 calories a day, and my weight loss will only be 0.2 lbs per week. Does that matter?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I don't know???
    I just checked and mine will. Although I have been getting a site maintainence thing on and off all day so maybe it's just a glitch.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

No the goal page is loading, I just can't figure out. Do I change the net calories consumed? When I do that, it say I'm only going to have a deficit of 110 calories a day, and my weight loss will only be 0.2 lbs per week. Does that matter?

Yes just change the net goal. It is saying that because it is using their numbers, which is a different formula than you used, which doesn't include exercise either. Your number does.
  • adelitas_star
    Options

Yes just change the net goal. It is saying that because it is using their numbers, which is a different formula than you used, which doesn't include exercise either. Your number does.

Ahh thank you! :D
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to change your activity level on MFP too, that should adjust your expected deficit.
    Settings-->Update diet/fitness profile
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Since my TDEE is 2050 calories and I'm making a 20% cut, that puts my calories at 1640. That's how much I'm going to try to eat per day, but MFP suggests I eat only 1500 after I log my exercise. Do I still eat the 1640? And, do I eat 1640 on days I don't workout, or do I just eat like 1200 - 1400?

If you have figured out your own TDEE then you dont eat exercise calories as TDEE includes them and eat that everyday.
    Did you select 2lbs a week weightloss goal from MFP? If so, I believe that may be why there is such a difference.

TDEE includes REGULAR daily activity. If you choose to include an estimated amount of exercise calories, then no you wouldn't need to factor exercise in, but most people don't calculate in exercise in their TDEE unless they are certain about the amount, type, and intensity (which is extremely difficult to estimate).

I would not recommend attempting to factor exercise into your activity level. That's going to be very inaccurate.

Your activity level, normally, should be based on your normal daily activity, I.E. work, before and after work activities (things you do around the house, daily chores...etc.). Exercise should ideally be calculated at the time of the activity.
  • adelitas_star
    Options
    Since my TDEE is 2050 calories and I'm making a 20% cut, that puts my calories at 1640. That's how much I'm going to try to eat per day, but MFP suggests I eat only 1500 after I log my exercise. Do I still eat the 1640? And, do I eat 1640 on days I don't workout, or do I just eat like 1200 - 1400?

If you have figured out your own TDEE then you dont eat exercise calories as TDEE includes them and eat that everyday.
    Did you select 2lbs a week weightloss goal from MFP? If so, I believe that may be why there is such a difference.

TDEE includes REGULAR daily activity. If you choose to include an estimated amount of exercise calories, then no you wouldn't need to factor exercise in, but most people don't calculate in exercise in their TDEE unless they are certain about the amount, type, and intensity (which is extremely difficult to estimate).

I would not recommend attempting to factor exercise into your activity level. That's going to be very inaccurate.

Your activity level, normally, should be based on your normal daily activity, I.E. work, before and after work activities (things you do around the house, daily chores...etc.). Exercise should ideally be calculated at the time of the activity.
    ]

But when you pick your activity level on any TDEE calculator, it asks for how many days you exercise. o-o
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

For heavens sake why are you expecting MFP to match your numbers when you're using an entirely different method?
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

]

But when you pick your activity level on any TDEE calculator, it asks for how many days you exercise. o-o
    STOP WORRYING ABOUT WHAT MFP SAYS. YOU AREN'T USING THEIR METHOD. STOP IT.
  • adelitas_star
    Options

]

STOP WORRYING ABOUT WHAT MFP SAYS. YOU AREN'T USING THEIR METHOD. STOP IT.

I wasn't talking about MFP...
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

]

that's correct. Because when we exercise on a regular basis it raises our metabolic rate throughout the day, even if you skip a day of exercise, thus raising your average metabolic rate throughout the day whether or not you exercised that day. That doesn't mean you shouldn't still add exercise calories for that day.

I.E. someone who is considered active might have a metabolic rate of BMR multiplied by 1.5 to reach their normal daily metabolic rate as opposed to someone who is sedentary who's metabolic rate is BMR times 1.3 or so. Even if they don't exercise their rate is still calculated via the above formula's.

Now if they exercise that day, you're still adding the extra exercise calories to reach TDEE because MFP does not assume any exercise on a given day, which is why you put your exercise in the exercise log and add the calories.

MFP is all about keeping a consistant deficit based on what you can lose per week, not adding exercise calories causes the deficit to fluctuate, giving the body a less consistant amount of calories. This isn't the only method out there, but this method, if done correctly, allows you to have less fluctuation in your energy, meaning an easier way to lose weight as your body can "count" on a specific amount of energy.