my job is making me gain weight!!

Options
i'm a teacher - just lost 20 pounds over the summer .... i tend to lose something every summer .... and gain it all back through the year due to candy drawer in the work center, high school foods class samples passed out, kids who work at restaurants bringing in leftovers .... have NO MOTIVATION or WILLPOWER if it is in front of me ... how do you all cope if you work around food?!??!

Replies

• Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Before retiring I had a wonderful secretary who had the candy bowl on her desk for those stressful moments. There were food samples and other food items. Walk a little extra and have the extra calorie burn for that 1 little piece. Give the sample to a student who will be asking you to share anyway. You can do it!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    1. Stop blaming the job/food. You make you gain weight.
    2. Before you accept a handout, whip out your phone and look up the calories it contains. Have your day pre-logged, so you know if you have room for the snack. If you don't have room, find a place to make room (don't eat a planned snack) or calculate how much extra cardio you'll need to squeeze in to make room.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Bring a ton of healthy snacks and if something gets passed around in class shove something healthy in your mouth before you can do anything else lol Also drink a bunch of water, eat enough during the day to where you aren't starving if ppl are sharing food, and chew gum. If any of those methods don't work then either work out a lot more or else I dunno what to tell you! lol
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Willpower is something that can be strengthen'd as well. It's really the only way. Not trying to be overly harsh.
  • 48Tara
    48Tara Posts: 10
    Options
    I work where there is a lot of junk food brought in, cinnamon rolls to doughnuts, there is usually something everyday. I ask myself do I want to work out for another hour to burn the junk, the answer is NO! I am working to hard to blow it, I chose not to eat it, and not say I can't have it, big difference.
  • lorrainzander
    lorrainzander Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this same thing today. I run a small Boutique Hotel part of the year and thank goodness it is not all of the year. :) I am constantly surrounded by delicious food, baked goods, snacks and treats and all for my taking because nobody is around to stop me. I always gain weight every time I'm here, but this year I have decided to try and do it differently. I had never been a food logger before and so far it has been a great motivator. I have also tried healthy replacements and because I love to experiment with recipes it has been fun. I'm not sure how long I can keep it up, but I'm hoping with MFP, this time it will be different. You can do this, every time you make a healthy choice for your body, celebrate that decision. Don't mean to sound cheesy, but it is really true.
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Just say no, or say yes, log it, and deal. The choice is always your own. Habits are hard to break, but you are the one in control.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I drive a truck, and as such, I am sitting on my *kitten* for 90% of my day, and my only food options are fast food, or bring my own with me. If people in my profession (myself included) can manage to drop weight, no one can use their job as an excuse for not doing so.

Plan your daily intake before leaving for work, and eat nothing that isn't in that plan. Learning to say no to yourself, as well as others is vital.
  • twonkieone
    Options
    gonna try logging it tomorrow and not eating it - just to see where it puts me. today during spin class i did think "ok, now i've burned off those freaking mini candy bars" and it pissed me off that it took me 30 minutes of cardio for 30 seconds of candy.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I work where there is a lot of junk food brought in, cinnamon rolls to doughnuts, there is usually something everyday. I ask myself do I want to work out for another hour to burn the junk, the answer is NO! I am working to hard to blow it, I chose not to eat it, and not say I can't have it, big difference.

Love this one!
  • BubblySharon
    BubblySharon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Willpower is something that can be strengthen'd as well. It's really the only way. Not trying to be overly harsh.
    My thoughts exactly!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I work at a pizza place. I just make sure to have a good amount of food before going to work or bringing a snack with me.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    negative, nobody makes you do anything....