Light Weights

Options
I have just started lifting light weights. Do I have to take a day off between workouts? My muscles don't feel sore, I'm easing into it.

Thanks,

Replies

• tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    Why are you going light? You are probably alot stronger than you think. Are you afraid to go heavy? http://cathe.com/the-benefits-of-lifting-heavy-weights-for-women
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Most people recommend you pick a weight you can move 8 - 12 times. If you can do more repetitions with ease its time to up the weight. At the youthful age of 55 i would personally take your time in moving up in weight and ensure each exercise is done correctly, yet still make weight increases a priority.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    As soon as I don't feel sore the day after a workout I increase my weight. I sort of take it to mean that my body has gotten used to it, and needs more of a challenge.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting, why are you going light? The old "girls should go light to tone" is FALSE! I worked with light weights for 10 years and got NOWHERE till I started lifting heavy!

If you want tips, feel free to add me. A general rule of thumb is to not work the same body parts on consecutive days. So if you do biceps and triceps on Monday, do Legs on Tuesday, maybe Back and Chest on Thursday and throw some cardio in between weight workouts (aim for 2-3 HIIT cardio workouts per week in between strength sessions). I would also throw in Yoga...I cannot believe what a difference it made for me!
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    Women over 40 should lift heavier because of the bone density loss and tissue loss. If you are not lifting something heavier than a gallon of milk increase your weights. this does not mean hurt yourself lifting but make heavy lifting a priority and a goal. You should do a 1RM test to see just how strong you are and lift about about 60-80% of your 1RM. You can google 1rm test and go from there. Light weights and high reps only build muscle endurance not muscle strength.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend testing 1rm right off the bat. 1) You could hurt yourself more easily than later on down the road when you are more used to lifting, and 2) Your 1RM can go up so fast right at first that it is not an extremely useful figure to have.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Raya1980
    Options
    Light weights are best used if you're doing a circuit workout.
  • Kbjust4me
    Options
    bump
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I'm starting light because I have severe osteoporosis (so you're quite right, I need to get stronger). But in the past four years I broke an ankle (it's now full of titanium), have a partial stress fracture in my femur that is healing slowly, and broke 3 vertebrae in my back skipping at the boxing gym. So caution is important for me, I am really focusing on perfect form and want to make sure I am doing everything perfectly before I increase the weights.

I also find that if I try and lift heavier weights it activates that malicious voice in my head telling me I'm weak and soft, something i am also working hard with. It's a bigger fight than building my muscles.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I know I'm only 20, but I have always liked a challenge. I like to do 3 sets of 10 per set (so 30 total, broken into 3rds) The first set is a weight you know you can do 10 times. Second set, a slightly higher weight that's more challenging to do, where you may struggle a little to do numbers 9 and 10. Third set is the challenge, take a higher weight and do as many as possible, even if it's only for 3 or 4 reps before you need a break. Learn on dumb bells too--the machines at gyms are more likely to cause injury!

*this is assuming you have no medical conditions that would cause injury!*

Good luck with your lifting!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I'm starting light because I have severe osteoporosis (so you're quite right, I need to get stronger). But in the past four years I broke an ankle (it's now full of titanium), have a partial stress fracture in my femur that is healing slowly, and broke 3 vertebrae in my back skipping at the boxing gym. So caution is important for me, I am really focusing on perfect form and want to make sure I am doing everything perfectly before I increase the weights.

I also find that if I try and lift heavier weights it activates that malicious voice in my head telling me I'm weak and soft, something i am also working hard with. It's a bigger fight than building my muscles.

It's great that you've started using weights, this should really help your bones to get stronger. I'm usually encouraging heavy lifting right from the start too, but it sounds like you've got a good plan and are taking it carefully, which is wise with the injuries :)

Just don't rule out the idea of upping the weights in the future. The stronger you get, the less prone to injuries you'll be and there'll be so many benefits. You may feel weak now, but that'll change as you get more confident and see those increases. Good luck!