Diary feedback

Options
What is the proper etiquette? When you see your friends that are under calorie but eating lots of junk like Big Macs all the time, not drinking water, eating half their daily allowanceor no veggies . I am always biting my tongue when I see this. I like to look at diaries to get ideas for my own diet should I make suggestions?
I would like my friends to say Dude lay off the potatoe chips when I go to far and I honestly would like feedback, but not everyone is like me
I subscribe to the school of eating 3-5 servings of fruits and veggies daily and drinking plently of water.
What are y'all thoughts on the subject

BTW if you like to give honest feedback feel free to add me or if you want a friend that will make suggestions, I am your guy.

Replies

• jonkers2012
    jonkers2012 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Greg that's a great question. Personally I'm here to lose weight and get fit, so if anyone can offer suggestions to help, alongside nice comments for the good stuff, I think it's valid. I apply that to others, and indeed know I have had positive impact on people by doing so.
  • dkiger85
    dkiger85 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Me too! Thats why mine is open! I'll add you both :) Drinks is what gets me!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't give advice unless asked.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If i'm creeping someones diary and I see that they are doing awesome ill leave them a "good job!" but I don't feel right critiquing someones diary when they didn't ask.
  • titi4j
    titi4j Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's kind of double sided for me. I made my diary open to friends because I want feedback, ideas and also to be accountable. I feel like that's the only way I can succeed and have this thing work for me. I welcome the comments for food and exercise. However, it's probably not right of me because on the other hand, I don't feel comfortable doing that with other people. I feel like I have no business making suggestions because I've only lost 10 lbs. I try to point out the things that are positive in their diary's or that they had a great day with their water. The other thing I have a hard time not saying something about is people that live on shakes alone. I have one for breakfast because it works for me and fills me up for quite awhile. I see some people having them for 3 meals. Anyway, my point is, please feel free to point out anything in my diary that I could be doing differently. I appreciate suggestions. Knowledge is power!!! :)
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    This is not a popularity contest. I log my foods to keep track and welcome (constructive) criticism. I want feedback, honest feedback. When I get a comment, I will thank the person for suggestions. I am kind of known at the veggie lady because I bug my friends until I see them add veggies! :happy: Some people will never listen though.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Haha, look at my profile page and you will see how I handle it. I say up front that if you have an open diary and it is crap, I WILL SAY SOMETHING. And if you do not like it, well there there is the "remove friend" button there for a reason.

Nutrition is the key to a long and healthy life. I mean come on, if all you want to be is skinny, smoke some crack.
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I hear you and feel the same way.
    Sometimes I look at a dairy and wonder how someone can keep up what they do (eating empty calories, lots of packaged foods and eating jung junk food) and still lose weight. Lucky them.... but I know from experience that it will catch up to them. I wish everybody the best and keep on doing my thing.

Feel free to friend me. My dairy is open to my friends.
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If i'm creeping someones diary and I see that they are doing awesome ill leave them a "good job!" but I don't feel right critiquing someones diary when they didn't ask.

I know what you mean, I have a friend who drinks a regular coke with every meal and snack. I would love to say, hey you could eat 400-500 calories of really good food if you cut out the cola, but I don't and I give her a good job everytime she is making her calorie goal. I keep hoping she is looking at my diary and sees me drinking 12 or so cups of water everyday.It does bug me to no end.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    My diary is open because I welcome suggestions.
    However, I've seen people complain about unasked-for advice, so I hesitate to make any suggestions if critique has not been requested. I'm a newbie who obviously doesn't have everything figured out yet, so really - what do I know?

I saw somebody getting twice the amount of sodium day after day and said something once.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I believe if your diary is public, it is an open invitation to be critiqued or given unasked for advice. If they do not like it, close their diary or change their habits, simple as that.

I see these young girls out there eating 700 calories a day and then 5 other girls saying WTG, I am like WTF? I also see people posting one 1500 calorie meal from McDonalds, yeah, gonna say something about that too. Once again, you dont like it, well remove me as a friend.

Coddling people and being afraid to offend them does more damage than good, trust me.
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I drink almost 2 litres of water each and every day and I never log that in. Some of my friends never put in their exercise. So perhaps what they are logging/or not logging isnt necessarily bad.

On the topic of Big Macs and chips however, I think each to their own. I dont personally eat anything processed, but if that is the way they choose to eat their calories then so be it.

However, when they start complaining about not loosing weight, I am more than happy to pull out those examples and show them why
  • Brewster1215
    Brewster1215 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I keep my diary open for suggestions. Most times I'll take em, but I have to admit....I hate most veggies. My mom couldn't make me eat them, my ex-wife couldn't either. That being said, I do like salads and am staying away from most processed foods as much as possible.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I like suggestions for improvements, or being scolded for not enough water, missing a snack, in light hearted ways (I mean give me a break, Im an adult you dont get to yell at me.) I also like encouraging ppl by recommending lower cal options, or whatnot and have respectfully disagreed with choices made. Its, I suppose, all in how you present your concerns or lack thereof. Someone on my friends list drinks (diet) soda literally all day long, even bfast. I mentioned it in jest once, Im over it - its his life, not mine. If he wants to keep drinking it what's it to me? That kind of thing, I guess. Make sense?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Once in a while, if I see someone is eating very little (and that's unusual for them), I will say something. Or if they haven't had any vegetables (except potatoes) in a week, I might mention that. But no one likes a nag so I do it once and never mention it again, We are all adults and are responsible for our actions. If someone wants to do the right thing, they will. If not, that's their prerogative. BUT I don't support people that eat 900 calories a day and exercise off 700 of that.
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I do like to have honest feed back, and if you can suggest a way to make something healthier, I am always open to ideas. That in mind, remember women NEED chocolate to survive. Never dis the chocolate! LOL
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of not giving any feedback. I want to say something but i don't want to make anyone feel bad. Some people are SUPER sensitive when it comes to what they eat.
  • stbrad6896
    Options
    The way I see it is we are here to lose weight and most of us to live healthier, so my advice is LEAVE THE COMMENT = ) I do understand when people say they don't feel comfortable critiquing but ya know what? It's tough love, and you're doing them a favor (so long as you're polite about it and the criticism truly is constructive). Maybe they won't like what they read, but you never know it may one day end up being the push that leads them to make healthier changes. I myself am open to any constructive comments and advice, and I don't want someone to baby me or pat me on the back, I want the truth. So I say let's keep it real!
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I hate poor diet, but don't judge the water, I have never logged mine and I drink like 5 liters a day min.
  • stbrad6896
    Options
    Haha, look at my profile page and you will see how I handle it. I say up front that if you have an open diary and it is crap, I WILL SAY SOMETHING. And if you do not like it, well there there is the "remove friend" button there for a reason.

Nutrition is the key to a long and healthy life. I mean come on, if all you want to be is skinny, smoke some crack.

hahaha that's funny... sad in a way, but funny