My first NSV: Pull-ups!

Cespuglio
Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
Hello MFP! I am writing today to post that for the very first time in my entire life, I've managed to do a pull-up! Well, one and a half, but who's counting, right? :wink: I did it on three separate occasions during my workout today just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. It wasn't!! It wasn't graceful, it wasn't pretty, but it was complete and 100% unassisted! I did a full, body weight pull-up all by my onesie!

And now, for some shameless [purposely misspelled] gloating:
WOO! Look at me and mah bad self!! Who's yo' daddeh! What's my name, bishes!!! YEAH!!! Etc...

Thank you for reading! :happy:

Replies

• Jobe72
    Jobe72 Posts: 24 Member
    Well Done!!!
  • Congrats!!! Upper strength is hard to get for some....**me included in that**

I still can't do it, now I am gonna make it my goal to do at least 1 before the end of October...so I can say your rant and smile
    knowing I did it too. :-)

Thanks for the inspiration.
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Great NSV!!!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    I'm strong...but can NEVER do a pull up!!! I don't think I'll even be able to do one when I hit goal! Maybe I'm too tall, lol.
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Definitely reason to gloat! That is awesome! Congratulations! I am working toward my first pull up. I have never actually tried to do one...perhaps I should??? I am just trying to build some strength right now doing body weight rows (inverted rows) and bent over dumbbell rows.

You've just inspired me to go for it!
  • Cespuglio
    Thank you so much everyone! I'm psyched! It was hard, but not impossible! If I could do it you can too! I learned from one of the regulars that you get there faster if you just try to jump up and complete as many negative (meaning descending only) reps as you can. It'll help build your strength going up. By gum, he was right!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    That's awesome! I'd be gloating too! My aim is 10 by Xmas ..as yet I can do 1/2 :frown:
  • Cespuglio
    deleted
  • Cespuglio
    Best of luck! And hey, 1/2 is more than what I was able to do 2 weeks ago, so you never know! I hope to see all of you who are trying for a pull-up gloating with me really soon!
  • tendumom
    tendumom Posts: 17 Member
    My gym has a machine that provides a little assist. Makes a huge difference. I am sure I have not done a pull-up in decades. Tried it yesterday for the first time with the machine and did 4! Did 7 today with less of an assist. It's almost like having some on spot you at the very bottom.
  • LightningSparks
    LightningSparks Posts: 9 Member
    Good job!! Can't wait till I can do that; definitely not giving up! Keep it up :)
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Gloat away thats fab!!
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    This is one of my favorite NSVs! I've started working on building up to doing pullups. It's one of my top fitness goals.

I'm excited to hear the negatives worked for you. I am just starting those now. So far, I have been building up my strength using the lateral pull-down. I've used the assisted pull up machine with a trainer spotting me, but I feel a little unstable on it by myself. I'm using a step bench to help me get up there and lower myself for the negative.

I'm so inspired to hear that you did this!!
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Awesome job. I'm not there yet. I just managed to do 2 sets of 10 "guy pushups" and was so proud.
  • Cespuglio
    Thanks again everyone for being so kind! Great job to the poster above me for the sets of "guy" push-ups (those are evil too) and the poster above that for working up to the step bench method! These are serious upper body moves but your core will thank you for it... right after it's done cursing you out the day after of course lol. My midsection is currently not speaking to me today.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Great work! I still try and fail at these weekly..one day....ooohh! one day..I will have my just reward!! :) Its no small feat for a woman! *applause*!
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    That is EXCELLENT! Congrats :)
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Yay! That's fabulous! I'm definitely envious!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Thank you so much everyone! I'm psyched! It was hard, but not impossible! If I could do it you can too! I learned from one of the regulars that you get there faster if you just try to jump up and complete as many negative (meaning descending only) reps as you can. It'll help build your strength going up. By gum, he was right!
    I'm gonna try this!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    That's awesome! Doing a pull up is one of my goals, but I am not there yet at all! It's great to see someone else reach that goal though.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!