No gym membership...ideas for workouts

Options
I don't have a gym membership but would still like to get in a good workout everyday. Anyone have any favorite workouts or exercises they do without the gym? Would love to hear some ideas! I'm a beginner so take it easy on me! ;)

Replies

• petitepedal
    Options
    Walking is great!! I have some hand weights/bar bells and I do bicep & tri curls, sit-ups/crunches, push-ups, and just some basics. Some with weights some without. I don't have kettle bells but I use one of my weights and swing it while doing a squat (I can feel that in my legs the next day). If you have room in your home, keep an eye out for used exercise equipment (or rather un-used) Often you can find a rowing machine or a bicycle going cheap...because it was purchased with good intentions and ended up being a clothes hanger. Another option is an exercise dvd. I have one that I try to use twice a week..It starts out okay but ends with a bang. I typically do the first 15 minutes of the 25 minute workout.

Good Luck!
  • gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My favorite no-gym exercises:

- Run (prepare for a race. Making a target always helps.)
    - Bike (to work?)
    - Walk (to the neighboring grocery store)
    - Burpees (anywhere possible- even 5 burpees get my heart rate UP)
    - push ups on the floor, dips from the chair
    - Abs: hold the plank for 30-60 seconds, crunches and other ab exercises. There are many on google.
    - Resistance strength training. (Get some resistance bands and google exercises. There you go!)
  • meau67
    meau67 Posts: 6
    Options
    There are all kinds of quick workouts on Pinterest, videos, follow along charts,whole plans. . . .
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    youtube has loads of workouts so you know what to do in a pattern.

walking/jogging

wii/xbox fitness games
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    kettlebells, p90x, body weight circuits, boxing bags, sandbags, burpees, jump rope, using the stairs in your house for cardio, dancing, taebo, yoga...

your options are only as limited as your imagination...

do search for "home workouts" on youtube...
  • dancngdolfn
    dancngdolfn Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels videos.
  • LivingJuicy
    LivingJuicy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds low impact aerobics videos. Lots of variety, lengths of workouts, great for beginners, but can challenge even fit people. Highly recommend! You can find them in stores or at collagevideo.com. And no, I don't work for her! :)
  • CRichards22
    Options
    TurboFire! It has been my workout this year and the only workout I have enjoyed doing regularly for 10 months ever! 73 pounds off to prove it!

I love it! :drinker:
  • Crysti
    Crysti Posts: 17
    Options
    I mostly run, but I'm a huge fan of Zuzka Light. Look her up on youtube. You can also find workout ideas at Body Rock, a website Zuzka founded with her ex-husband.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Blogilates.com
  • Crysti
    Crysti Posts: 17
    Options
    Oh! Also, look for various video podcasts on itunes! There are a few decent yoga ones I've found. :)
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Blogilates.com

Its free. I follow her plan too.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership but would still like to get in a good workout everyday. Anyone have any favorite workouts or exercises they do without the gym? Would love to hear some ideas! I'm a beginner so take it easy on me! ;)

Rest is far more effective for weight loss than work, as long as you're getting in adequate work. 3 days working out (an hour at a serious intensity...more is pointless), 4 days rest, is a nice ratio.

If you'd like a great non-gym workout, look at my profile. I have a bodyweight lifting program (it's written out step by step) that WILL be effective, as long as you put the requisite amount of effort in it. I lost 40lbs in 3mos, and maintained my lean mass...doing nothing but eating within my calories, and that workout.

If you need any help applying the routine to yourself, I'll be glad to help.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Workout on DVD, on On-Demand, on Video Games (Biggest Loser X Box 360), as well as running, walking or weights. I lost 15 pounds and gained muscle by doing all these.
  • rvli1
    rvli1 Posts: 4
    Options
    Jillian workout videos are great for a good sweaty workout and if you have a local track with bleachers at a college or high school walk some and run some bleachers. It really gives a good workout and calorie burn.
  • CSwitts
    CSwitts Posts: 14
    Options
    Team Beachbody has a TON of at home workouts. I am def in love with them. Check them out! Message me/add me if you want to know more ;) Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you have a dog or not but my favorite thing to do for exercise is take my dog for a nice long walk. She needs to lose some weight too, so that helps motivate me.:smile:
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite go to exercise is walking.

Various dvds like the Jillian Michaels, Taebo, Biggest Loser, & Tracy Anderson's Metamorphosis

I invested in 2 home equipment: a treadmill & a stationary bike.
  • theWinchester
    theWinchester Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Youtube is the best, they have almost everything.
    Go check out my favourites Blogilates and TiffanyRotheWorkouts.

They are really fun, defiantly look at Blogilates she always offer free excises & meal plans, and so much more, Cassey Ho is simple amazing.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    walking, running, tennis, shooting baskets, swimming, calisthenics, skating, aerobic DVDs, bike ride, raking or mowing the lawn, jump rope. These are the things I do most frequently.