Anyone with experience with 5:2?

Options
I tried posting about this in a 5:2 forum and another topic but no replies...i'm 117 female, 5'4 and I eat around 1200-1400 a day, eat back all exercise calories. I'm going to start the 5:2 and tues/thurs are my fast days at 500 cal cap. Has anyone with similar stats done 5:2, doing, or had experience cutting calories a few times a week drastically as opposed to lightly cutting calories daily?:love:

Replies

• Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    also i'm confused on the whole 16/8 hour thing, couldn't I eat from 12-8 everyday then?
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    sad bump :C
  • rhannie8
    rhannie8 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    From what I've found on the 5:2 IF lifestyle, there are no time restrictions on your fasting days...women just have to eat 500 calories on those days. Others have found it easiest to spread those calories throughout the day instead of trying to eat them all in one meal. And yes, if you were also doing the 16/8 fasting, you can choose an 8-hour window of eating (try to make it the same time every day, if you're doing it as a daily habit). Zero-calorie drinks for the other 16 hours.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Try the IF forums. There are more active users there and some women related questions have already been answered.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting
  • katwal87
    katwal87 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been trying intermittent fasting and found 5:2 very difficult, I had to go up to 600 calories rather than 500 and still struggled. I am now doing 16/8 which I find much easier - I still eat my daily calorie allowance but between 12 noon and 8pm (you can choose an eating window that suits your lifestyle). They do say women can do a modified 14/10 but I can cope with 16/8 just fine so don't need to change it. :)
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. What is the logic of the 12noon - 8pm eating window. Other research has suggested breakfast to be an important meal?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't have your stats but I've observed a few people doing the 5:2 as well as read the clinical trials and watched it on the TV.

They were limiting protein as well as calories, 30g from memory so 30g of protein (120 calories) and the rest to suit. This sort of ICR (intermittent calorie reduction) is easier for some people to adhere too than a true intermittent fast (IF) but others find it easier to go without.

One UK researcher found women did better on intermittent low carb dieting than continuous calorie reduction and more could stick to the plan too. She only looked at women as she's a breast cancer researcher interested in the health aspects as well as weight loss.
  • Salkeela
    Options
    I did try the 2 days a week on 500cals for a bit after the TV programme (forgotten it's name now) and didn't find the 500 too bad. I just ate dinner in the evening with family and not much else. Of course I'm not working (currently off on longterm sick leave) so it's not so difficult to achieve.

Mind you, friends on here don't really understand if you leave your diary so low - esp as I'm usually below 1200 anyway the rest of the time too....... might go private on my diary again! LOL

(PS My situation is one of VERY low exercise/movement due to ME or CFS as it is sometimes known. So my TDEE is not much above my BMR! I don't find 1200 a day in anyway a penance, so I don't reckon I'm starving myself on that. I'm also loosing at a very slow rate - 1\2 week. Which is okay, as my BMI is about 23.....)
  • Salkeela
    Options
    PS Have just joined the IF group linked in a post above. Thanks for pointing it out. :)