Changing up cardio??

Options
I've heard you are suppose to change up your cardio so that your body doesn't get use to it, is that true? I use the arc trainer for an hour 6x a week and do strength training 3x a week, how do I change things up? I tried doing the treadmill but it was so boring and I feel the workout on the arc... What should I do?

Replies

• Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I would say maybe stick with the arc, but perhaps change your settings around once in a while if you don't already - alter the angle, the resistance, perhaps both at the same time. It's still the same machine but any arc I've run across before has been quite modifiable also!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    No, that's ridiculous. I've been dancing for about 40 years now, spinning for about 8 . . . they both still work.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    But dancing and spinning have variation in them. High and low intensity points. If you only want to use the arc trainer (like an elliptical??) try doing some interval training instead of staying at one pace. Sprint for 1 minute, recover for 1 minute etc. You could also try doing the same kind of thing but varying the resistance instead.
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I also use the arc/elliptical almost everyday and don't see why you can't keep using yours. I am also lucky that my gym offers many different kind of elliptical's so I never have to use the same kind of machine twice in one week. I say changing up the resistance and intervals will work just fine. I also do machine cardio for an hour but sometimes I do 30 mins of elliptical and 30 mins of treadmil cause we all know the elliptical can get boring. I also swim 5x a week to add to my cardio any thing to keep things from getting boring.

I think if what you are doing right now is giving you results don't worry about it but later if you notice that the arc is not giving you the work out you want then you might need to switch things up.