ladies whats your workout routine? i need ideas!

Options
2»

Replies

• Brianna72994
    Options
    I'm a dancer, so I dance a few days a week.
    I also go for walks, play Wii Fit, and I just started the 30 Day Challenge (I can tell the challenge works, I definitely feel the burn)
  • goofyblonde
    goofyblonde Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have 7 different workout routines ranging from simple body weight exercises to Kettlebell, TRX, and tire flipping. I try to go on walks at least twice a week, but I get my cardio in doing the KB and tire workouts.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I ditched the bus pass and now cycle everywhere (even up the massive hills!) I paid for the platinum membership at the gym, which means I now have the luxury of picking any class that I want as it's included in the price, so do Nike training club, Total Body conditioning and also Pilates twice a week. I joined rowing club, which takes me on two water outings a week, and also has a circuit training and running sprints session every monday, plus sets us ergo (indoor rowing) machine tests 2-3 times a week. On the days where I'm just doing an ergo session (sometimes the goal is only 7 minutes) as I'm in the gym i'll hit the weights and lift some heavy stuff for a while!

Friday is rest day!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I did New Rules of Lifting for about 5 months but ended up getting really bored with it. I just switched back to the book I started with "Women's Health Big Book of Exercises" which has a bunch of great strength training plans outlined. Using that, I try to lift 2-3 times a week. I also do cardio 5-6 times a week (running, spinning, swimming, stair climbing - try to mix it up) and 2-3 hours of Pilates/Yoga type exercises a week.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm doing a 2nd round of Jillian Michael's Body Revolution, which is circuit training. I do that on Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri. I also add cardio afterwards (mostly Shaun T's Rockin Body or Turbo Fire HIIT). On Wed and Sat, it's purely cardio.

I also ride my bike and roller skate with my kids!
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I lift 3 days a week (New Rules of Lifting for Women).

I walk or run to work 5 days a week (a mile each way so it's a short little spurt)...lately I've been doing more running than walking.

I do additional cardio 3 days a week - usually either swimming, running or a workout on the Wii or xBox (usually Just Dance)

I do Pilates and Yoga 4 days a week at lunch (Pilates M-W and Yoga T-Th).
  • Oliviasmom510
    Options
    Interval training on the treadmill for atleast 30 mins.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Here's my current one but I'll be changing it up (probably on a monthly basis) to keep my muscles guessing:

Monday - 30min on the treadmill (C25K program), Abs (2 sets of: 20 pike crunches, 45 seconds plank, 30 bicycle crunches, 45 seconds plank, 45 seconds rest)
    Tuesday - Chest & Arms (3 sets with 5lb dumbbells) - 12 dumbbell chest press, 12 dumbbell row, 12 (each side) tricep kickback, 12 (each side) bicep curl. I add chest flies if I have time (same number of sets, weight, reps)
    Wednesday - 30min C25K, Abs (30 pike crunches, 30 seconds boat pose, 20 crunches, 45 seconds plank, 45 seconds rest)
    Thursday - Back & Legs (3 sets with 5lb dumbbells) - 12 (each side) alternating shoulder press, 12 dumbbell squats, 12 bent arm side raises, 12 dumbbell lunges, 20 calf raises
    Friday - 30min C25K, Abs (20 bicycle crunches, 45 seconds plank, 30 crunches, 30 seconds plank, 60 seconds rest)

I also stretch after I'm done with the whole workout.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I need to lose my last 10 lbs and get fit so could you please share what is working for you? i need ideas! thanks !

I found that I finally got in the shape I wanted by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd (you need both). And losing the fat is all about calories, calories, calories. While working out is to make your lean body mass pretty for when the fat is gone.

The routine I do consists of weight lifting first and cardio second, but I still do cardio (mainly running). I change up everything all the time. My running is sometimes long easy runs, sometimes HIIT, sometimes shorter medium pace runs. My weight routine changes each day, each week, Circuits, Intermittent Super Sets, Fibonacci Pyramids, X-sets, Progress Venus Pyramids, and some splits, constantly changing it up, everything a variety of Strength, Hypertrophy, and Endurance.

Legs; In addition to Deadlift's, Stiff Leg Dead Lifts, Sumo Dead Lifts and Squats I do Bulgarian Split Squats, Lunges, Reverse lunges, Curtsey lunges, Step Ups, Crossover Bench Step Ups, One legged Deadlifts (T-Bend), Lunge Matrix, Bowler Squat, One Legged Get Ups, Bower Squat and Calf Raise, Bowler Squat + Stiff Leg Deadlift, Curtsey Lunge + Dumbbell Squat, T-Bend + Y-Squat, Reverse Lunge & Step Up, Curtsey Lunge + Step Up, Y-squat, Narrow Stance Squat

For upper body I do Standing Shoulder Press, Standing Dumbell Curls, Lying Tricep extension, Pullovers, Bent Barbell Row, Standing lateral Raise, Standing front Raise, Curl and Press, Shoulder Press + Curl, Dips, Lying Tricep Extensions + Flyes, Venus Raise (a type of snatch), Bent Row + Standing Lateral Raise, Pullovers, Pushup + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Bent Lateral Raise + Pullovers, One Arm Dumbbell row, Flyes + Pushups, Seated Curl & Tate Press, Seated Curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Pushups, Pullovers + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Lateral Raise + Full Front Raise, Venus Raise + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Lying Tricep Extension, Upright Row + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Flat bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Bent Row Narrow, Bent Row + Kickback,

Then some upper and lower combos; Squat and Front Raise, Step Up & Press, Step Up + Standing Shoulder Press, Squat & Press, Squat & Swing, Curtsy Lunge + Standing Shoulder Pres, T-Bend & Row, Pike Front Rais + Curtsey Lunge, Flat Bench Press + Step Up.

Core: Bar Bell Rollouts (you can start out with Stability Ball Roll Outs), Swiss Ball Pikes (you can start out with Stability Ball Curl Ups), and planks. As you advance Swiss Ball Pike and pushup.

I probably forgot some but you get the idea.

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Start lifting now, lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are a girl you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulky and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'm doing kettleworx and loving it! 3 weeks in and I'm already seeing changes, it's an amazing programme! X
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    I do strength training on Mondays<--legs, Wednesday<--abs, Friday<--upper body (free weights)
    aerobics everyday if I can, but mainly Tuesday and Thursday. for 40 or 60 mins.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm doing:

Mon: 60 minutes cardio intervals (spin, running, elliptical if my knees hurt)
    Tues: 60 minutes strength (heavy weights, legs, back, or a strength class at the gym)
    Wed: 60 minutes cardio
    Thurs: 60 minutes strength
    Fri: 60 minutes cardio + 60 minutes yoga
    Sat: 60 minutes Yoga
    Sun: Something active like walking, hiking, biking, etc.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Right now I am doing both ChaLean Extreme and Turbo Fire mainly, and doing Zumba Fitness Core (Xbox 360 Kinect) on less busy days :) I actually made a table of it here http://mfpmiadhail.blogspot.ca hehe :)

Before I restarted on my work out routine, I was doing Zumba on the Xbox 360 Kinect everyday mainly and I love it! Along with that, I went to the gym twice a week for an hour to run on the treadmill and use the elliptical. I was also doing some strength training at home.

The thing is to do something that challenges you, that you enjoy and therefore could stick for a long time :) All the best!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend starting a strength training routine. It does wonders for your shape. I lift 2-3x a week and do yoga and zumba on my non lifting days. I haven't lost a lot of weight on the scale, but I'm losing inches and clothing sizes and I'll take that over a scale loss anyday.

For strength training, I am following the New Rules of Lifting for Women plan. It's long term (think 6+ months). I just finished phase one and am already impressed with the results so far. I cant' wait to see how far along I'll be when I finish the whole plan.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing a CLX/TF hybrid which consists of kickboxing, yoga, abs, heavy lifting, HIIT workouts, resistance bands, free weights.....etc

it's pretty well-rounded & it works for me!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy weights for 75 minutes 3 times a week and run outside 4-6 times a week.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k app (3x/week), Zumba on Xbox Kinect (depends, but 2-3x/week), an actual Zumba class 1 hr/week, and I ride my bike as many places as I can. Hoping to start riding to work 3 days a week next week :)