Great on-the-go, low-calorie snack ideas

Options
Like many of you, I'm constantly on the go. I'm always looking for new healthy grab-it-and-go snack ideas. I've listed some of my favorites, please feel free to add to my list if you have some snack ideas you'd like to share!

1 oz raw-unsalted almonds (aprox 20-25 almonds = 1 oz)
Yoplait Greek 100 calories Vanilla yogurt
String cheese
Blended protein shake with a banana or frozen blackberries added (Yum!)
Cantelope slices
2 hard boiled eggs (minus the yolks of course)

These are just a couple off the top of my head, I'll try to add more when I have more time to spare. I'm excitd to see what some of your suggestions might be!

Take care

Replies

• capt_nat
    Options
    Alpro soya yoghurt - 99 cals
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

why minus the yolk?
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options

why minus the yolk?

That's what I was going to ask. :huh:
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I bag fruit up, mini babybels are 40 cals each, cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas, popcorn, (may add more as I think of them.)
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I was going to say boiled eggs, but with the yolk! That is the yummy and healthy bit :) Still only around 70 cals an egg with the yolk. Yes higher in fat but fats are actually needed in any diet and egg yolk is a good way to get them.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Minus yolks is silly not "of course"

I like fruit, berries, or raw veggies, lettuce wraps or open face sandwich, fiber one or Atkins bar (more fiber and less sugar than others), beef or elk jerky, boiled eggs, protein shake, greek yogurt with some sugar free preserves esp boysenberry, a carb balance tortilla with some cream cheese and a bunch of berries rolled up in it, almonds...
    28848 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying one way or the other. I just happened to have been reading up on this lately. I prefer to eat whites as I don't care for the yolk, but everyone must decide for themselves. Thought this article was interesting though.

Published in the August 13 issue of the journal Atherosclerosis, researchers examined data on 1,231 men and women, average age of about 62, who were patients at vascular prevention clinic at London Health Sciences Centre in Canada. Participants were given surveys about their smoking and egg-yolk eating habits, and the scientists used ultrasounds to determine the amount of total plaque on their arteries.

Plaque builds up in a person's arteries as white blood cells, and LDL ("bad") cholesterol accumulate over time in the wall of the artery, according to WebMD, leading to the progressive hardening and narrowing of the arteries which restricts blood flow, a condition called atherosclerosis.

Risk factors for atherosclerosis include smoking, high cholesterol and blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, stress, and poor diet and exercise.

The researchers found that independent of these risks, plaque in the carotid artery increased in participants as they aged, but the increase was exponential when it came to people's smoking habits and egg-yolk intake. Specifically, people who ate lots of egg yolks had about two-thirds of the amount of plaque buildup as those who smoked cigarettes. The study also found those eating three or more yolks a week had significantly more plaque than subjects who ate two or fewer yolks per week.
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My snacks of choice:

almonds (yes, I do count them because it is easy to eat loads :wink: )
    raw carrots (lots and lots of)
    rye knackerbread
  • Adrenaline_Junky
    Adrenaline_Junky Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Not eating the yolks is a personal choice (caloric and cholesterol reasons).
    I researched the nutritional value of the egg and posted it here for you all to see; maybe it'll hep with your own decision on whether to eat the yolks or not to eat the yolk. Hope this helps :)

Calories in Egg, Whole
    Calories 78
    Total Fat 5.3g
    Saturated Fat 1.6g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.7g
    Monounsaturated Fat 2.0g
    Cholesterol 186mg
    Sodium 62mg
    Total Carbs 0.6g
    Sugar 0.6g
    Protein 6.3g

Calorie in Egg, White
    Calories 16
    Total Fat 0.1g
    Saturated Fat 0.0
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.0
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 55mg
    Total Carbs 0.2g
    Sugar 0.2g
    Protein 3.6g
    Options
    Oh and thank you for your input, keep the ideas coming!
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond Pumpkin Spice Almonds (Seasonal)
    Blue Diamond ROsemary Pepper Almonds
    Blue Diamond MInt Chocolate Almonds
    Really any type of Blue Diamond Almonds (love the variety of flavors one for every mood)
    Baby Carrots
    Apple
    String Cheese
    Boiled Egg
    5 olives
    Dill pickle
    Cherry Tomatoes
    Protein shake made with vanilla protein powder and mix in 1 tablespoon sugar free seedless blackberry preserves (delish!!)
    Boiled Egg wrapped in lettuce and topped with mustard
    Sugar snap peas
    Broccoli and/or cauliflower
    5 saltines
    Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt (80 calories)
    Celery sticks dipped in a Laughing Cow Light Blue Cheese or Light Swiss Cheese wedge
    Green or red sliced peppers
    Clementine
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

why minus the yolk?

My thoughts exactly. The whites AND the yolks are so good for you!
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I always skip the hard boiled yolk as well...not because of cholesterol or even calories- I just don't like it. And it doesn't make sense to me to eat 50-60 extra calories of something I don't even like. I will occasionally eat whole eggs scrambled but I actually prefer an all egg white scramble. I usually only eat the yolks when my husband is eating eggs with me. There is nothing in the world that would make me eat a hard boiled yolk though.

For snacks on the go- I love pistachios and almonds, apples, celery and carrot sticks, raw asparagus stalks, sliced turkey, pears, peaches, oranges, hard boiled egg whites, and cold cooked chicken (I'll snatch pieces out of the fridge when I walk by).
  • Adrenaline_Junky
    Options
    Blue Diamond Pumpkin Spice Almonds (Seasonal)
    Blue Diamond ROsemary Pepper Almonds
    Blue Diamond MInt Chocolate Almonds
    Really any type of Blue Diamond Almonds (love the variety of flavors one for every mood)
    Baby Carrots
    Apple
    String Cheese
    Boiled Egg
    5 olives
    Dill pickle
    Cherry Tomatoes
    Protein shake made with vanilla protein powder and mix in 1 tablespoon sugar free seedless blackberry preserves (delish!!)
    Boiled Egg wrapped in lettuce and topped with mustard
    Sugar snap peas
    Broccoli and/or cauliflower
    5 saltines
    Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt (80 calories)
    Celery sticks dipped in a Laughing Cow Light Blue Cheese or Light Swiss Cheese wedge
    Green or red sliced peppers
    Clementine
    Great ideas, thanks for adding to this post!
  • Adrenaline_Junky
    Options
    I always skip the hard boiled yolk as well...not because of cholesterol or even calories- I just don't like it. And it doesn't make sense to me to eat 50-60 extra calories of something I don't even like. I will occasionally eat whole eggs scrambled but I actually prefer an all egg white scramble. I usually only eat the yolks when my husband is eating eggs with me. There is nothing in the world that would make me eat a hard boiled yolk though.

For snacks on the go- I love pistachios and almonds, apples, celery and carrot sticks, raw asparagus stalks, sliced turkey, pears, peaches, oranges, hard boiled egg whites, and cold cooked chicken (I'll snatch pieces out of the fridge when I walk by).

I really like the cold, cooked chicken idea.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Freshly squeezed orange juice 110 cals
    Tangerine medium 60 cals...

The orange juice is great for me in mid morning and mid afternoon.
    A fruit after getting home before dinner.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    A hard boiled egg is a great idea really. 70 cals. Filling and provides everything for a healthy diet. I am an egg fan definitely!
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I'm totally addicted to pb2 and half an apple or banana, less than 100 calories. I bring it to work in a little Tupperware.