Seriously Overweight

Hi and Good morning

I'm Sandra, 43, 5' 8" , wear a size 22, very seriously overweight by about 7 stones and very unhappy.
I' looking for a support as I'm going to try and lose weight by myself. I hate slimming clubs and I haven't stuck with any diet plan whether VCLD, Low fat or high protein for more than 2 weeks.
What I seem to be happy with is high protein diets but I need to eat more carbs than Atkins likes.
So I've joined Fitness Pal and adjusted my settings to give me 1700 Kcals a day with a 30g carb intake a day and 50% protein intake. I'm going to see how that works for a week and adjust as necessary.
My problem is working out what to eat to keep the cravings away.
This morning I'm going to have 2 scrambled eggs with smoked salmon on 1 whole wheat toast and a cup of tea. Lunch I'm thinking a pot of Glorius Skinny Soup Butternut Squash and I haven't thought about dinner yet but possibly pork something.
I'll let you know how it goes.
I weighed in this morning at 269lbs and I would like to lose 4lbs by next Monday so I will report in.

Sandra

Replies

• Pinzog
    Pinzog Posts: 11
    Hi, I'm a size 22 and also at 1700 calorie intake, just started a couple of weeks ago :)

Apologies, this has ended up quite long!

I think the first week was the most difficult with cravings, stopping myself from buying chocolate from the vending machine. I keep a bar of green & blacks in the fridge and have 1 piece (or 2 if I'm feeling wild!). Only 17 calories and it's so rich and delicious, it eases the chocolate monster.

I'd been feeling a bit listless, and fed up with being hungry. On sunday I had a 3 egg omelette with tuna and some cheddar, it was fab and I felt truly sated for the first time in a week! Obviously was craving something in it!

I think part of the reason was that I was still in the "less calories is better" mode, and some days was having only about 1200 but reading about Eating More to Weigh Less really opened my eyes. Now I'm not trying to limit my eating, my only goal is staying under that 1700 line!

The bonus about being very overweight is that it does drop quite quickly in the first week. I didn't weigh myself until I noticed that my waist was going in a little more. I'm really trying to avoid the scales, only this morning I was going to pick up an electronic set from mum's, because ours is the old fashioned type, and I thought "nope", I don't want an exactly accurate reading, I don't want to know that I've put on 2lb in a week. If my double boobs have disappeared, that's all that matters.

Can't do slimming clubs, it's just more hassle and work, counting calories is enough for me without trying to convert it in to points, or red/green days! I keep a pen and a post it pad in the kitchen so I can weigh foods as I'm making them, then take that bit of paper upstairs so I can update it on the laptop.

Food wise - I reduced my calorie intake a lot by not having a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast. Instead I'll have a peanut butter crispbread "sandwich", or porride with some seeds added in.

For dinners I'll tend to have the same as the OH but just less carby stuff. I'll have 2 mini waffles to his 7 :D

I like lots of food, I like to stuff my face, that's my problem. I now take lots of food to work, but it's all fruit or carrot salad and a yoghurt, and something with a bit of carbs in case the fruit is just going straight to my feet. For dinner I might have an obscene amount of butternut squash and kale on my plate, along with the meats.

Nice to meet you!
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member

So I've joined Fitness Pal and adjusted my settings to give me 1700 Kcals a day with a 30g carb intake a day and 50% protein intake. I'm going to see how that works for a week and adjust as necessary.

You need to try it for longer than a week. It will take at least 2 for your body to get used to the new regime and around 4 for you to see proper results. 30g carbs a day is really low but if you think you can do it then go for it. I have to ask though, are you doing any exercising? Cardio, strength training even just walking a bit every day will help. If so you might wanna eat a few more carbs on the days that you do exercise, maybe look at doubling the 30g to 60. The high protein will help you to feel full which should help you have less cravings but if you do have them that's ok. If you can have a little bit of what you want and not go crazy with it then do it. You're more likely to stick with this if you don't completely deprive yourself of everything you want. Good luck.