exercise for fat girl?

Options
13»

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I walked and did Wii Fit. When that didn't give me the 'I'm going to die after doing this' feeling anymore, I added in Zumba. Then I tried 30DS, but didn't like it. Now I have a weight bench at home and do weights and some Zumba. My advice would be to work up to it. Find something that is challenging and enjoyable for you and start there, keep adding to it as your fitness level improves.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Exercise for a fat girl is the same as any other person, don't section yourself off. I have like 38% body fat and I can run 4 to 5 miles per day. Your options are endless. Try out a couple types of exercise running, sports clubs in the area, zumba, kickboxing, etc. See what you enjoy and go with that, your size does not keep you for exercising.
  • gazelleintraining
    Options
    Start with exercise videos in the home to help get you moving, burn calories, and boost self-esteem. A great beginner video is any one of Leslie Sansone's Ultimate walk series. You can choose between 1-5 miles (start with one and work your way up), and people of all sizes can do it. Go here:

http://www.amazon.com/Ls-Ult-Day-Walk-Plan/dp/B006NKFAA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351015858&sr=8-1&keywords=ultimate+5+day+walk

This one's a little older, but still really good: One mile per day (though you can combine to add additional miles as your fitness improves and you want to take on more):
    http://www.amazon.com/Leslie-Sansone-Walk-Home-Morning/dp/B001AYWY5O/ref=sr_1_14?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1351015894&sr=1-14&keywords=ultimate+walk
  • MyIrishSpirit
    MyIrishSpirit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You and I are about the same, I started at 285lbs but was active and not achy or inhibited by my weight as far as everday activities go. I went white water tubing 2 weeks before I decided to actually lose all this baggage.

I started out walking on the treadmill for a couple days just to get my legs used to it. It was too easy so I went to the elliptical machine and that thing kicked my *kitten*. I could only do 10 minutes at first. Then I gradually increased in 5 minute intervals. I did 35 minutes today for the first time. Usually I would do as much as I could on the elliptical and then switch to the treadmill at a 3-4% incline to make up an hour. The recumbant bike is great too but it's not enough movement for me.

When I'm just not feelin' the gym I have Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds 1, 2, 3, and 4-mile workouts. They're a lot of fun and a great aerobic workout.

I am working up to running. I want to run outside because I feel like it will be the least boring and it really is the most efficient workout you can get. My goal is to start running outside by the time I've lost 35 lbs, got 18 more to go :) My major concern with running might be similar to yours, the downpull on my boobs is painful! So I'll invest in some good running shoes and a sport bra!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Then this should have been your first reply...

Eh, it was.
    Despite what you may hear, as long as you do it properly, and work your way up, you can start running at most weights.
    Here we see me saying that you have to do it properly, and that it's possible to start at most weights.
    I've seen women start as high as 300 pounds, and there were women at the half marathon I did this weeks who had to be pushing 250 (and you don't just get up one morning and decide to do a half, they'd been training).
    Here we see me setting an upper limit to what I've seen work well for others.
    if you chose to try running, start with walking. Once you can consistently walk 2-3 miles at a stretch look at the Couch to 5K (C25K) program.
    Here we see me describing a method for starting with walking and moving on to intervals.

So no, I didn't say exactly the same thing in both posts: in one I was responding to your criticism in the other I was trying to help the OP, but I think any reasonable textual analysis shows that all of the important safety stuff is present in both posts. Takeaway point, running is fine for most people who don't suffer from weight related injury or very extreme obesity (of the type suffered by very small percentages of the population).
  • Emmenstwin
    Emmenstwin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    So I dont need to sugar coat it or anything for myself... Im fat.. plain and simple and Im GOING to fix that.. so my question is what are some good ways to work out? I dont have achy knees or feet or anything that would normally happen to an obese person. I mean I do get out of breath but not just from walking here or there and I am active as in I run errands/go to the park with kids/ect ect but thats just everyday things... Haha sorry for the bio.. anyway.. I need a good solid work out routine and then I need to know how to switch it up.. if you can help me that would be awesome! Thanks! :)
    I started walking 4 miles and then added in workout dvds.. You have to find something that you like to do so you won't get bored and want to forget about doing anything at all.. I hope you find something that works for you..
  • musicalsoul207
    musicalsoul207 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started off with walking. I'd go to the park and walk around the track for about an hour. I started off going with a friend and then gradually started going on my own more often. Then I started doing workout DVDs at home (I'm not super motivated with those when I do them by myself). I've recently joined a gym. Ellipticals are a great machine to use for cardio and they're not super hard on the knees.

7117000.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • pcsanchez7505
    Options
    The 30 day shred is great for a starter workout. My mom recently did it and she does not exercise at all. She lost 12 lbs but gained so much confidence and is redoing the 30 day shred with a healthier eating plan so she can see if she can lose more weight. I also did the 30 day shred. I have always been athletic and in sports but my eating habits caused me to not lose weight. I started the 30 day shred and included a "clean eating" style; my starting weight was 132 lbs and I dropped down to 124 lbs
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I agree with the first response that said do anything. Just start. I started with walking. I couldn't do much at first, but now I do 5 miles about 3 times a week, with 3 miles 2-3 days a week. After 50 pounds lost (and still really fat) I just added a weight routine that a trainer at my fitness center set up for me.

Just put one foot in front of the other, once you get moving, you can figure out what you like best.
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 30 days shred. The good thing with a program like that is that it is structured, gives you clear lay out of exactly what you need to do, for how long. Its good to follow a program like that to get into the habbit of exercising. I also agree with lifting weights, but only after you've started and built up a good solid cardio routine. Overweight people burn more calories whether they are doing cardio or lifting. If your first priority is to lose weight, then start cardio first, and gradually move into weights...

More importantly though is diet!!!! You can exercise all you want, but if your diet is bad, its not going to get you anywhere!
  • capricorn2721
    capricorn2721 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Do what you love - just get moving. If you don't love it, it is waaay too easy to find an excuse not to do it. Me, I love walking/running on my treadmill. I also lift light (up to 8 lbs) weights, use resistance bands and the occasional exercise video. If working out for a half hours is too much - whether for time reasons or stamina reasons - you can always break it down into shorter, more frequent intervals. Maybe three ten minute treadmill sessions will be more likely to get done than one thirty minute session. The point is to get started.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    I highly recommend swimming. I did that all my life no matter how fat I was (107kg at my heaviest). It is not hurting your joints and you dont feel the weight that much in the water. Try different styles and see what you feel most comfortable with. It burns nice calories as well.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Find what you like. Try different things. If you can afford it, take classes (yoga, dance, martial arts etc). If you like it, you will stick with it.. Winning! :drinker:
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I was fat when I first started, and knew that throwing myself into a hectic workout regime would probably have me collapsing in red-faced gym humiliation.

I started gently - ten minutes' brisk walk on the treadmill, 20 minutes on the crosstrainer, 10 minutes on the bike and then 10 minutes cooldown on the treadmill.

But as others have said before me - anything goes! A good old brisk walk, a bike ride, anything. Anything that gets your heart pumping.