Insulin resistance/calories and weight loss?!

Options

Replies

• gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Don't eat like a diabetic. A dietabetic diet uses carbs to stablize their blood sugar through the day, it's great for diabetics but wrong for someone with just Insulin Resistance. Someone with insulin resistance has too much insulin in their system. If you eat too many carbs you tell your body to make more insulin, that is not what you want to do. You want your body to start using the insulin it has already made. If you eat a high-protein, low-carb diet your body will have to use more of the insulin it already has and will start burning fat for energy.

Several people have given you diet advice above about high-protein, low-carb, health fats including full fat dairy products ,including real butter (don't use margarine). This is the diet you need to follow.

You're wrong about the Diabetics vs Insulin Resistance explaination...But I don't have time right now to explain it in detail.. Sufice it to say, insulin resisitance leads to pre-diabetes which leads to type 2 diabetes. Insulin resistance is VERY common in type 2 diabetics. I treat patients who are dealing with insulin resistance ( a precurser to type 2 diabetes) very similarly when it comes to nutrition therapy to my type 2 diabetic patients.
  • Prefessa
    Options
    I have metabolic syndrome..AKA insulin Resistance...and I may add have lost over 80#s with a combination of Meds, An Low GI/GL Diet and Exercise , most days of the week.(on averaged 6 days/week)

Tried it without the Meds and the weight loss was painfully slow...once I hit 1500 mg of Metformin ER the weight flew off in Gobs!! and My Triglicerides dropped over 200 points!

The diet is pretty simple...carbs with a GI of greater than 55 are off limits. So some fruits, veggies and legumes are safe bets. As for Meals....Divide your plate in 1/2, then divide one side in half again...so you have 25, 25 and 50% The 50% is non starchy Veggies, the 25% is a lean protein and the other 25% is a Low GI/GL Carb source such as legumes.

Here is the kicker...all meals and snacks need to be patterned this way.....So if you want to snack...you cant eat just fruit or a just a yogurt....you need carbs combined with protein and fat to control insulin release. So 1/2 an apple, a palm full of nuts and a small container of plain geek yougurt or a cheese stick is a snack.

If your doctor prescribed meds take them consistently....Unlike "Normal" people Folks with Metabolic Syndrome actually have blood sugar that RISES during exercise which pretty much cripples your ability to burn stored body fat. The meds help to turn off your livers gluconeogenic pathways and improve insulin sensitivity so now your body can access all that stored energy.
  • DontWeightStartNow
    DontWeightStartNow Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi There:

Since being diagnosed just three months ago with Type 2 Diabetes, I've been seeing a nutritionist, a pharmacist at my doctor's office as well as my regular doctor. I love bread, pasta all the things I should stay away from (which I try to), however I do indulge every once in a while. I was given 1430 calories a day from MFP - mind you that number assumes I exercise approx. 500 cals a day. I eat very healthily and have been on 2,000 mgs of Metformin a day and my numbers have come way down since being diagnosed, however the pharmacist has told me that my numbers (which are almost normal now) would not have come down on Metformin alone. Pharmacist said "whatever you're doing, keep it up". What I've been doing (in addition to the meds) is eating right and exercising at least 4 times a week. They told me I should do 150 minutes of exercise a week, and then recently they told me to add weight training because there is something about muscles and insulin and burning efficiently (I don't remember the whole thread) but strength training - specifically weight lifting is supposed to be good for folks like us with insulin issues. Good luck!!
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lliizzaayyy
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!
    Let me just clarify when I mentioned before about eating like a diabetic
    I meant eating low gi and cutting down carbs etc.
    I've done research on insulin resistance before and that pretty much is the diet
    That's everywhere.
    I'll be sure to take this advice on board :)
    Just trying to eat better and make sure I take my meds every day! Cause i know
    When I stop taking my meds my insulin count rises straight back up!

Any advice on exercises to do at home? With pretty much no equipment?

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    2 best ways of fighting insulin resistance is fasting and weight lifting.
    You can do both easily.

Stop eating at 10pm.
    Dont eat till 2pm the next day.
    Do this daily.
    Workout in a fasted state.

When you eat this will help with the p-ratio and where the nutrients go.
    Enjoy your fat loss.
  • traderpinoy
    Options
    hey OP,

what i did was simple. i have stopped eating carbs directly (now carbs are from green veggies - not potatoes), no sweets, no sugary food, no bread, no softdrinks, no fruit juice ( just plain water is fine).

I just did a cold turkey total diet change. i didn't even cared about low gi food, i just stay away from food with sugar any chance i have.
  • lliizzaayyy
    Options
    You can do both easily.

Stop eating at 10pm.
    Do this daily.

Enjoy your fat loss.

Problem being I refuse to skip meals. If i do this I gain more then I lose. My body goes into starvation mode quite quickly. Thanks anyway :)
  • lliizzaayyy
    Options
    hey OP,

what i did was simple. i have stopped eating carbs directly (now carbs are from green veggies - not potatoes), no sweets, no sugary food, no bread, no softdrinks, no fruit juice ( just plain water is fine).

I just did a cold turkey total diet change. i didn't even cared about low gi food, i just stay away from food with sugar any chance i have.

Thanks for the advice :) that's what I've been doing now, but trying to make it healthy as possible :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    You can do both easily.

Stop eating at 10pm.
    Do this daily.

Enjoy your fat loss.

Problem being I refuse to skip meals. If i do this I gain more then I lose. My body goes into starvation mode quite quickly. Thanks anyway :)

You havent a clue what you are talking about.

Fix your metabolism.
    Pick up heavy things and youll lose weight.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You did get a lot of great advice. I can add my experience for the heck of it.

I used to be like you, before I went diabetic. Usually if you are insulin resistant you are on diabetes TII doorstep. (I am also hypothyroid for what it is worth) As a diabetic I was on 2000 metformin daily. As a pregnant diabetic I had to use HUGE amounts of insulin.

My diabetes has just officially went into remission.

I have been watching calories AND carbs. Carbs are important. Anything very high carb I tried to avoid, but occasiionally a little bit. Orange Juice for example is mean to my blood sugar. I love it, but I avoid it nearly completely. I haven't been super low carb, just simply around a 100 ballpark or so a day.

I added exercising 5x a week 20-45 minutes. (completely unprecedented for me) Mostly walking with my littles ones and using a stationary bike.

Lots and lots of water. If I drink a lot of water, it helps my bs control.

I supplement vitamin D aggressively. That also helps blood sugar and many other things.

Those things all got my sugar better. Down to a pre-diabetic range again.

But I have also been experimenting with the intermitant fasting(IF) as well. It is not probably something for everyone, but for me I like it so far. I haven't been eating after dinner and then I skip breakfast (my most violent blood sugar timeframe) and I do not eat until noon.

That has dropped my blood sugars to almost normal. My last fasting blood sugar was 100. My A1c was 5.4. I have only lost 34 of the approximately 210 I need to lose. I still have a LONG way to go. But it really suprised me that I am already able to say my diabetes is in remission.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot...indoor exercises.

Videos, library and youtube can be good resources...seems like netflix might have a couple, I am not sure there though

Exercise step (various things can be a makeshift one, I found mine at a thrift store)

Jumping rope if able

Squats, lunges, etc if able

Jog in place

Wii fit is fun (our game system was found used)

used equipt like my stationary bike is awesome

Walking, jogging, running as able on weather appropriate days.
  • lliizzaayyy
    Options
    You can do both easily.

Stop eating at 10pm.
    Do this daily.

Enjoy your fat loss.

You havent a clue what you are talking about.

Fix your metabolism.
    Pick up heavy things and youll lose weight.

Right. Cause not eating for more then 12 hours is such a great thing to do? ha, no thanks.
  • lliizzaayyy
    Options
    You did get a lot of great advice. I can add my experience for the heck of it.

I used to be like you, before I went diabetic. Usually if you are insulin resistant you are on diabetes TII doorstep. (I am also hypothyroid for what it is worth) As a diabetic I was on 2000 metformin daily. As a pregnant diabetic I had to use HUGE amounts of insulin.

My diabetes has just officially went into remission.

I have been watching calories AND carbs. Carbs are important. Anything very high carb I tried to avoid, but occasiionally a little bit. Orange Juice for example is mean to my blood sugar. I love it, but I avoid it nearly completely. I haven't been super low carb, just simply around a 100 ballpark or so a day.

I added exercising 5x a week 20-45 minutes. (completely unprecedented for me) Mostly walking with my littles ones and using a stationary bike.

Lots and lots of water. If I drink a lot of water, it helps my bs control.

I supplement vitamin D aggressively. That also helps blood sugar and many other things.

Those things all got my sugar better. Down to a pre-diabetic range again.

But I have also been experimenting with the intermitant fasting(IF) as well. It is not probably something for everyone, but for me I like it so far. I haven't been eating after dinner and then I skip breakfast (my most violent blood sugar timeframe) and I do not eat until noon.

That has dropped my blood sugars to almost normal. My last fasting blood sugar was 100. My A1c was 5.4. I have only lost 34 of the approximately 210 I need to lose. I still have a LONG way to go. But it really suprised me that I am already able to say my diabetes is in remission.

Thank you :)
  • traderpinoy
    Options
    yes we can do this!. im on to 1 month now and getting healthy... a bit harder on me as well as I have quit smoking same time as i decided to lose weight...

another thing that might help is, before i try to eat or have a craving for something , I ask myself, whats the benefit for my body if I ate this food? and I also just visualize my future self, I want to be healthy and not bed ridden and sick!...imagine enjoying life to the fullest with a healthy body!!

good luck to both of us and good health!
  • lliizzaayyy
    Options
    yes we can do this!. im on to 1 month now and getting healthy... a bit harder on me as well as I have quit smoking same time as i decided to lose weight...

another thing that might help is, before i try to eat or have a craving for something , I ask myself, whats the benefit for my body if I ate this food? and I also just visualize my future self, I want to be healthy and not bed ridden and sick!...imagine enjoying life to the fullest with a healthy body!!

good luck to both of us and good health!

Quitting smoking is the worst! i quit about 3 years ago and when i did all i wanted to do was eat! You'll get through it :)
    I haven't really been craving anything lately which i guess is a good thing, but if i really want something i ask myself whats the point, cause then i feel as if i'm letting myself down anyway :)

Good luck to you too, i'm sure you will do great! :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I'm amazed at your ability to write off what has worked for so many women on my numbers.
    you arecso quick to reject something that your ancestors did daily.
    They stayed strong and lean because of it.
    but what would I know?
    I only have over 250 successful people losing weight with my advice.

Fasting creates an environment that fosters better insulting sensitivity in people who want to lose fat but maintain lean mass.
    when you stop eating at night then sleep for 6-9 hours you enter a fasted state.
    You are using fat for fuel.
    Make it last for 12-14 hours and that's a pretty good amount of time to be burning fat.
    when you eat your first meal chances are the nutrients will partition yo repair any damage from working out or refill lost glucose in the liver.

I just saw your title for this thread and though id give you the advice that worked for so many others.
    Ps starvation mode kicks in after having ZERO calories for appx 72 hours.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Right. Cause not eating for more then 12 hours is such a great thing to do? ha, no thanks.

12 hour fasting isn't that odd if you think about it, you are asleep for eight of them. You wouldn't eat in the two hours before you go to bed or in the first two hours after you wake up. Not saying you have to, just saying you could.
    My mum does this all the time, but she just can't get her portion sizes right and exercise is a dirty word.
    My grandmother, on the other hand, ate what she was supposed to, (she actually didn't eat past 6pm and didn't get up until 6 or 7am), was active on a regular basis and lost weight at 63 years old. She said that it was easier to regulate her "sugars" with the longer fast.
    Both with Type II Diabetes.

Good luck and I hope you find what works for you.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Don't eat like a diabetic. A dietabetic diet uses carbs to stablize their blood sugar through the day, it's great for diabetics but wrong for someone with just Insulin Resistance. Someone with insulin resistance has too much insulin in their system.

People with Type II Diabetes ALSO have too much insulin in their system.

People with Type I Diabetes don't have enough.

Your logic is flawed.

i guess it depends on what you consider a "diabetic" diet. Many, many diabetics follow a low-carb diet to stabilize blood sugar (and lower) throughout the day. Low-carb was specifically recommended to me for diabetes
  • Lattegurl
    Lattegurl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bump for later