Recovery food

Options
I'm currently suffering from diverticulitis or stomach flu , I can't tell which and the outcome (joke) is much the same. I haven't much appetite but I can hold down food as the result of a vow during a previous bout. Should I be eating carbs or protein to recover without further taxing my guts? I think fatty foods would be bad but I'm open to contradiction.

Replies

• meredithgainey
    meredithgainey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Protein is what I would be thinking. It wil help build up your energy if your able to eat solid foods. If not then go the jello, broth etc. route. Carbs are going to pile on sugar and make you feel even more like poo....

This is just my opinion... ;)
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    First, if it is diverticulitis (an acute infection of the diverticuli) then you should possibly see a doctor and get some antibiotics. Either way, with regard to diet, I would recommend starting with clear liquids then advancing to a low fiber, low fat, bland diet. It is important to reduce volume in the colon during an acute diverticulitis flare up in order to "rest" the bowel and let it heal.

This is a link to some diet info: http://gicare.com/diets/low-fiberlow-residue-diet/
  • paul_draper
    paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    That was quick! The low fibre approach sounds about right. I've been keeping up the fluids but avoiding fruit although I had some juice a short while ago. I think I'm a bit late on the antibiotics but the doctor, if I'd been able to get an appointment, wouldn't have prescribed them for a virus. Still, it is on the wane.

Thank you.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    That was quick! The low fibre approach sounds about right. I've been keeping up the fluids but avoiding fruit although I had some juice a short while ago. I think I'm a bit late on the antibiotics but the doctor, if I'd been able to get an appointment, wouldn't have prescribed them for a virus. Still, it is on the wane.

Thank you.

Of course the doctor wouldn't prescribe antibiotics for a virus. Antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections, which is what Diverticulitis is...If it is a virus (stomach flu as you put it) that you are dealing with than you would of course not take antibiotics. :)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Soups that you enjoy would be good...let that stomach rest...I remember losing about half a stone in one week after a stomach bug many moons ago, it was really unpleasant.
  • paul_draper
    paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Well I saw the doctor and got some Loperidine not antibiotic and his dietary advice was even more drastic - just clear fluids ie water for the next 24 hours. Just when I was looking forward to a bacon sarnie!