Platue help!!!!!

sheri3762
sheri3762 Posts: 159
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
HI everyone! I'm just about finishing my 4th week and I've hit a platue. I actually started making big changes in my eating habits in December, but I never started here til January2nd. Anyway, here's my problem.

I've done well since December, hit the 15 pund mark last week. But in past 10 days, have only lost 1 pound! I have been working out about 90-120 minutes a day and I started on a 1400 cal and then switched to a 1200. I'm light active and weigh 193 right now. I looked up a bunch of stuff on net and everything I read said i needed to try to "shock" my body intoraising my metabolism. So, this is what I've done the past three days. I raised my calorie intake to 1500-1600. I didn't excercise on Tuesday (frist day off in a month!) I excercised only 1 hour yesterday, and today I'm not feeling the best so I'm not excercising. Do you guys know anything about this? How do I get past the platue? (am I even spelling this right?!) I'm really nervous about this. I'm wondering if because I was only getting in 1200 cal a day yet burned upwards of 900 call a day in excercise, could I just not be getting enough calories. Gotta tell you, to eat healthy and try to get in 1600 calories was not easy! I felt like all I did was eat! Please help!!! Any suggestons would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Replies

• tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    I'm sure that the problem is how MUCH you're working out and how LITTLE you're eating. You are not giving your body enough fuel to to get through those intense workouts so your body is holding on to everything you give it.

With this site, you should log everything you eat and all of your workouts. Then, be sure to eat the number of calories in your target PLUS at least some of what you burn working out.

Hope this helps.
  • Hi
    when I hit that part I drank more water and changed my exercise, I walk tredmil at a 7 incline (it kicks my but) at 3.0 and changed my wieght training. it made the diff. so maybe it will help you :):smile:
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    If you are 194lbs and only eating 1200 calories a day but are burning 900 through exercise, then chances are that's your problem. Especially if you have been doing this for awhile. You body most likely thinks you are starving and is essentially gonig into starvation mode where it will try to hang onto every calorie it gets just to stay alive. On top of that, you will probably become catabolic and your body will start burning muscle mass as well (which is a bad thing.) Muscle is heavy and requires calories to maintain. If your body thinks that it's starving, it's going to get rid of what it thinks is excess weight.

In the end, you end up increasing your body fat percentage while your body tries to keep fat and kill muscle mass.

Find your recommended caloric intake and stick to it. If you go that far below it, you are asking for trouble.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Someone at work also mentioned the shocking your body thing...she claims a former colleague used to do it whenever she would hit a plateau, which generally happened at about week 6. She would treat herself to a big meal of chinese food, and then resume her diet/exercise routine with good results. It's ironic that I've heard this theory twice in the last 6 hours yet I've never heard of such a thing before. I'd love to learn more about it if you have any web resources you can share.
  • samseed101
    Someone at work also mentioned the shocking your body thing...she claims a former colleague used to do it whenever she would hit a plateau, which generally happened at about week 6. She would treat herself to a big meal of chinese food, and then resume her diet/exercise routine with good results. It's ironic that I've heard this theory twice in the last 6 hours yet I've never heard of such a thing before. I'd love to learn more about it if you have any web resources you can share.

A plateau generally comes from your body trying to achieve a state of homeostasis. Whether you are talking about lifting or dieting... If you keep doing the same thing on a regular basis, then eventually your body will essentially "learn" and will then do what is necessary to achieve a balance.

That's why "shocking" the system or changing things up typically helps. You keep your body guessing so that it can't adapt as quickly.

To give you some additional information (and three short articles that go into a deeper explanation) check out the followin glink below.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw44.htm
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Thanks samseed! In fact my friends was talking about a body builder, so what you're saying makes total sense. I'm gonna check out the web reference. Thanks again!
  • samseed101
    My pleasure :)
This discussion has been closed.