Store-made rotisserie chickens

Options
Does anyone have any idea how those chickens are prepared? Other than the obvious: on a spit! LOL. I tend to buy one about once a week because I work later hours and find it's so easy to just cut some up and throw it in a bowl of mesclun greens for dinner. But they taste so good, even when I take the skin off I still get the feeling I'm eating way too much salt and god only knows that type of fat they baste the little buggers with?

Replies

• pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I bought one from the store a few weeks ago, and it had nutrition info on the package. It's probably a very general idea, because of the difference between light and dark meat, but at least it's an idea... I put it in the food DB as Gold n plump rotisserie chicken.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I believe they baste in their own juices as they rotate on the spit and the fat drips off into pans below...sadly, I know this because I used to work in a deli...not sure of sodium levels
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I think they are just bake in the oven. Some are flavored so they would have more salt. If you want to buy a small chicken you can cook it in a crock pot. Just take some tin foil and make three foil balls. Place on the bottom of the crock pot then set you chicken on top. This way it is out of the dripping. I can't remember how long you cook it for but you could try it on you weekend when you will be home to watch it. It falls right of the bones. You could also pull the skin back and season it up with you favorite spice so your not losing all the flavor.
  • rlinson
    rlinson Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The salt content probably varies based on the flavoring. I have seen Savory, Traditional, Lemon Pepper, BBQ, Buttery Garlic and Italian. Most of the flavoring seems to be on the skin though so if you are taking it off, then you are probably okay.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I bought one from the store a few weeks ago, and it had nutrition info on the package. It's probably a very general idea, because of the difference between light and dark meat, but at least it's an idea... I put it in the food DB as Gold n plump rotisserie chicken.

I will check it out, thanks! I will update today's calorie counts as long as it doesn't "increase" my intake! :bigsmile: I've been just entering it as chicken leg, roasted, without skin, which comes out to 191 cal/100g (4 oz)
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    someone told me that the chicken is very fatty because the fat drips onto the chicken as well as some dripping onto the ground. im not sure if that is true but i have stopped buying them.