Better Blueberry Muffins

Options
Okay so by some accident I ran out of vegetable oil and had to make a substitute so I used applesauce. They turned out great and my hubby even liked them. But I don't know what the new calorie per serving is, anyone know? I made 10 muffins from a Krusteaz wild blueberry muffin mix and if I used the oil they would have been 160 calories per serving or per muffin since there are 10 servings. Anyone know what the calorie cut should be per muffin? or even just for the oil? I know that the applesauce is 100 calories. Thanks for any and all feedback.

Replies

• xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Figure out the caloric equivalent for the oil you would have used. (for ex 1/4 cup of oil is about 5 TBS, but you may want to measure it just to make sure) . Subtract that from the total number of calories the entire package prepared contains (1600). Then add the 100 calories to the total calories without the oil calories, and then divide that number by 10. Voila!
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You might try the recipe calculator on sparkpeople.com. Not sure if it will work with the prepackaged mix, though...

Maybe others have sites for other recipe calculators, too?
  • Caliwaters25
    Options
    Thanks its been a while since I used my math skills. I figured it out and it comes out to a 96.4 calorie blueberry muffin. Yay! And according to google there are 5.3 tablespoons in 1/3 cup and that's what the recipe calls for.
  • Caliwaters25
    Options
    Okay so by some accident I ran out of vegetable oil and had to make a substitute so I used applesauce. They turned out great and my hubby even liked them. But I don't know what the new calorie per serving is, anyone know? I made 10 muffins from a Krusteaz wild blueberry muffin mix and if I used the oil they would have been 160 calories per serving or per muffin since there are 10 servings. Anyone know what the calorie cut should be per muffin? or even just for the oil? I know that the applesauce is 100 calories. Thanks for any and all feedback.

Oops I lied hahaha I forgot to add the 100 back its actually 106.4 still not that bad. I am now a fan of applesauce.
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    yes I love applesauce in muffins, i don't use any oil in them anymore, I also like to sub mashed bananas but those are more calories. It should be great in other baked items as well.
  • 4kidmom
    Options
    I wonder how much the calorie difference would be with a from scratch recipe? I would love to find a good whole wheat from scratch recipe.
  • 4kidmom
    Options
    Ok so I found this recipe, it is 125 calories, but your body would use it much better being whole grains.
    I wonder if the blueberries would make it a bit less too instead of the other.

http://caloriecount.about.com/apple-oatmeal-whole-wheat-muffin-recipe-r1324
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    A old Weight Watchers trick with muffin mix is to soak plain bran cereal in a little water, then add it to the mix to extend the servings/add fiber. I like it, but my husband calls them "deathwads", whatever that is.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    along the same lines......

for those of you that crave chocolate cake.... if you take a choclate cake mix and omit the eggs and oil and replace them with 1 can of pumpkin it takes away most of the fat, many calories & packs it full of protein.....and you cannot taste the pumpkin at all!! :)
  • cksbutterfly
    Options

for those of you that crave chocolate cake.... if you take a choclate cake mix and omit the eggs and oil and replace them with 1 can of pumpkin it takes away most of the fat, many calories & packs it full of protein.....and you cannot taste the pumpkin at all!! :)

a large can or small can of pumpkin? i would do anything for some choc. cake right now :)
  • leggi002
    leggi002 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Do you think you could do the same with a brownie mix?

Another thing I do with canned pumpkin is mix it about 1/2 and 1/2 with plain yogurt, then add a T of raisins for some sweetness and some pumpkin pie seasoning.
  • leggi002
    Options

Do you think you could do the same with a brownie mix?

Another thing I do with canned pumpkin is mix it about 1/2 and 1/2 with plain yogurt, then add a T of raisins for some sweetness and some pumpkin pie seasoning.
  • leggi002
    Options
    Sorry for the double post - my bad.
  • parvati
    Options
    A large can.... the cake is nice and moist too!

I dunno if it would work with brownies..... lemme know if you try it.
  • parvati
    Options
    i don't have a can of pumpkin here now but it would be around 400ml....