Is exercising and eating more better than just eating less?

Options
So MFP says to eat back your exercise calories, but I'm struggling to find where I can (healthily) eat that many calories. Yesterday I was 230 calories less than my goal, but couldn't possibly eat any more that day.

So is there any point in me exercising if I'm eating less calories than I should be anyway? Ignoring things such as increasing muscle and stamina, if I'm only interested in getting thinner, does exercising have any advantage over just eating less?

Replies

• gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Tone. If you don't do any exercising you can lose weight, but you're more likely to end up "Skinny Fat"--weighing less but still being flabby.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Tone. If you don't do any exercising you can lose weight, but you're more likely to end up "Skinny Fat"--weighing less but still being flabby.

What She said.

If you exercise it can help your body tighten up the excess skin and give you a more fit appearance rather than just a lower weight.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    if I'm only interested in getting thinner, does exercising have any advantage over just eating less?

Nope. Also my goal. I don't give a rats butt if I'm "skinny fat" I have no need or desire to wear a bikini and the only person who sees me nekid loved me at my largest and likes my smooshiness. I eat 1800 cal / day which is already nearly impossible for me. I don't need the extra calories from workouts.

I lose 1-2lbs per week and have done since I started apart from the few weeks when I wasn't eating enough.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, the goal is to intake less calories than your body needs.

Now whether you exercise or not you will lose weight. However, if you workout you will maintain more muscle mass, lose mostly fat, tone up your body and overall you will be more healthy. The end result will be better too. There's a difference between being just skinny and being LEAN.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry then don't eat them all back. Definitely try to eat some back though. In healthy foods.
  • Danielle817
    Danielle817 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    Working out is good for overall energy level and emotional stability (endorphins) and a good stress release. If those aren't concerns for you, and you don't have trouble staying under your calories and you don't care about toning, then I guess you don't HAVE to exercise. I don't usually eat back all my exercise calories, because I'm not hungry enough, but it is very difficult for me to stay within my calorie goals without exercise. I also like that I feel stronger and more confident, because even if my body isn't where I want it to be, I can do things I couldn't before, like running.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • kimharper13
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, the goal is to intake less calories than your body needs.

Now whether you exercise or not you will lose weight. However, if you workout you will maintain more muscle mass, lose mostly fat, tone up your body and overall you will be more healthy. The end result will be better too. There's a difference between being just skinny and being LEAN.

^^^^^^^THIS:smile:
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options

^^This
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    if I'm only interested in getting thinner, does exercising have any advantage over just eating less?

Nope. Also my goal. I don't give a rats butt if I'm "skinny fat" I have no need or desire to wear a bikini and the only person who sees me nekid loved me at my largest and likes my smooshiness. I eat 1800 cal / day which is already nearly impossible for me. I don't need the extra calories from workouts.

I lose 1-2lbs per week and have done since I started apart from the few weeks when I wasn't eating enough.

When people say "skinny fat" it implies that you are just as unhealthy even though you are thinner than you were when you were overweight. This means you can still have the same health problems - blocked arteries, high blood pressure, risk of heart disease and stroke.

Exercising helps, in accordance with healthy eating habits, to reduce the chances of heart disease and other health problems.

So, you "not giving a rats butt" if you're skinny fat seems really ignorant to me. If you care to still have health problems because you "just want to be skinny" then by all means. No one said anything about looking good in a bikini. Excercise isn't as much about "looks" as it is about HEALTH.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Eating less= weight loss. Looking good naked= exercise.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It also largely depends on how overweight you are. You can safely run larger deficits if you need to lose say 50-60 lbs vs 10-20lbs.
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've found that exercising has caused my body to be SMALLER even if the number on the scale doesn't go down.

So, if you want your pants/dress size to go down, I think you should exercise, but if your not hungry, don't "eat back" those calories. If you just want the scale to show you a smaller number, eat fewer calories than you burn.

Good luck!
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I am still interested in toning and such so I'll probably stick with the gym, my main problem is eating back all the calories in healthy foods. I can just pour chocolate down my throat to get the calories back, but I feel that isn't the best solution...
  • riveradee
    riveradee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I used to do that..eat the calories back
    but a friend of mine who introduced me to this site said..noooooooooooo you're not supposed to do that
    now i'm not..and i'm seeing results..
    but i also exercise 4/5 times a week..
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options

Why wouldn't you want to exercise? (I'm not talking about daily motivation, I mean in general).

It's not about being attractive or thin to me. It's about feeling better and being healthier, and if you ever come across a doctor that says, "Nah, don't exercise. Whatever.", slap them and find a new one.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If you want to be skinny, just eat less. If you want to be healthy, exercise. Most of us here will agree that the latter is preferable.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    In the diagram below CR is 25% calorie restriction through eating less, CR+EX is 12.5% of calorie reduction and 12.5% of exercise. Both lose fat and fat free mass. They didn't do "eating back your exercise calories". From one of the published CALERIE study papers. Diet alone is as effective as diet + exercise to the same deficit.

48413764714673585_8NIygBW3_c.jpg
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The benefits of exercise are extensive. Here are some good ones

http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/benefits-of-exercise