exercising at "that time of the month"?

Options
I hate to bring it up, but I know you ladies have been there. It's that time again for me, and I feel bloated, crampy (like I have been kicked in the stomach), and I feel sick. How do I deal with it? Should I just do my normal exercise routine, or take a day off? I am right where I need to be with my calories (still have 1200 left for the whole day.)

Replies

• GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I hate to bring it up, but I know you ladies have been there. It's that time again for me, and I feel bloated, crampy (like I have been kicked in the stomach), and I feel sick. How do I deal with it? Should I just do my normal exercise routine, or take a day off? I am right where I need to be with my calories (still have 1200 left for the whole day.)
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Take a day off !! Be nice to yourself !!
    Get a hot water bottle and relax.. tomorow you can carry on ..

Take care !
    may
  • enigmakey
    enigmakey Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I would still exercise. It should make you feel better. Maybe something low key like a nice walk. Outside or at the mall if it's 2 cold.
  • KariandCo
    KariandCo Posts: 29
    Options
    My high school gym coach always said running will take your cramps away. It never worked then, and I'm sure it won't work now. Go take some Midol and curl up on the couch!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I find that there are a few "special days" of the month when I either scale my workouts way back, or skip them entirely. Usually I do "hard cardio" three times a week, and I just can't manage it some days.

I used to feel very guilty about taking these "easy days", then I noticed on the months I pushed through, I almost always got sick after my period, so I've quit beating myself up about it.

I do find that if I can manage it, moderate exercise does help with symptoms of pms and what I call "dms" (during menstrual syndrome). Walking is good. Stretching is good as well.

:flowerforyou:
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    if you really feel gross, then don't...take a day off but I worked out all during my time of the month last week and I honestly felt pretty good after :wink:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I exercise when I'm on my period because it makes me feel better. I may feel gross or crampy but I just do my routine anywho.

:flowerforyou:
  • lowsam
    lowsam Posts: 21
    Options
    If my cramps aren't too bad, then i usually workout, but don't feel bad if you want to take a break. It shouldn't affect your routine too much.

What i don't do on my period is weigh myself. I weigh myself weekly, except on THAT week. I retain sooo much water, and it just makes me feel bad to see myself several pounds heavier just because of it. But when i keep exercising and eating right, it's fun to see the scale the next week, because there is usually quite a difference!

~ Lisa
    :drinker:
  • christahollis
    Options
    DON'T take the day off!

The exercise can help to release the tension in the coiled bands of muscle in your uterus...relieving cramping!
    Plus...the sweating can help with bloating and water retention.

AND you won't feel like a wimpy-wimp!

Take some ibuprofin, and get on it!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If I feel extremely uncomfortable and weak I take the day off. But other times I just do any kind of activity and it peps me up!!!! So listen to your body and do what you feel you can tackle...
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the rest of you gals but when I am feeling like that around the time of the month I tend to push myself alittle harder and I always seem to feel better. Good luck and I hope you stay motivated.
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I find it's hard at first but ease into the exercise. Walk a little and stretch and maybe you will feel better. I have found that since I have been exercising more, my symtoms are lessened. Worse case, take some Pamprin or Midol to relieve the symtoms and then go work out.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    All I can really say is, YOGA!!!
    Low Impact, stretching, just to help with cramps and bloat.
    Lots of water too and rest.

Yes, rest......
    But not a vegetable......

Keep it on the low key..

I don't have a cycle anymore, I have them stopped nad am going through mild displasia laser treatments...

But I do remember when....
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I ended up working out as normal yesterday....and I did feel lots better afterward.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    All I can really say is, YOGA!!!
    Low Impact, stretching, just to help with cramps and bloat.
    Lots of water too and rest.

Yes, rest......
    But not a vegetable......

Keep it on the low key..

I don't have a cycle anymore, I have them stopped nad am going through mild displasia laser treatments...

But I do remember when....

Actually it is not encouraged to do yoga (well, all positions) during your period.
  • Gorgeous
    Gorgeous Posts: 248
    Options
    i used to run and my cramps would go away
    and i find when i exersise on my period i loose more weight that week